September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby sarabee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 pm

I had a 1.0 loss this week. Thanks to everyone for all the postings. They really do keep me motivated!
sarabee

Postby Svenja » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:38 am

Good Morning!

I have no gain or loss.
My weight was 2 pounds higher during the week, but today I am back where I was last week!

My compliance to the regular McDougall program is going well, MWL ... will try again after my exams.
2 more weeks until the written exam.

@ Thalita ... on day ... when I am grown up ;) ... I will have a Thermomix as well! I have a cheapish Aldi-brand typ at the moment. ... but one day ...

@ Amanda ... I enjoyed the video you shared. Thanks!

Have a great weekend everyone!
And please ... pray or send well-wishes to my country! This weekend we have elections in Germany!

Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby ANNAUK » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:52 am

1 pound gain for me although I think I'm ok with that as I know I would have actuAlly put on a lot more since last weeks holiday. Focused on this week a d today been on a 21day Pilates challenge day 4 and my muscles ache !!!

Xx
ANNAUK

Postby LadyM » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Hello everyone:

No loss for me this week. I'm good with that. It's the last week of September hopefully I will finish the month with a loss.

Hope everyone has a great week.

LadyM
(Dee)
LadyM

Postby amandamechele » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:21 pm

Test post! I haven't been having any luck posting tonight's tally. Some sort of error.
Last edited by amandamechele on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:26 pm

Does anyone know what this means? (Maybe I have some sort of error in the post causing the issue):

"General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x98\x8A\x0A\x0A...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: [email protected]"

Thanks,

Amy

Edited to add: Yay, I figured it out! I had copied and pasted a line from something that I wrote on Facebook. There must have been some sort of non-visible code attached to it because once I removed that line it worked.
Last edited by amandamechele on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:08 am

Hi Everyone,

Thank you to all who have stopped by to check-in. This has been a good week for losses. Yahoo! I'm always heartened to hear from each of you and how you're doing, whether its been an easy or a tough week. To successfully lose weight and keep it off is ridiculously difficult for some of us...its pretty darn tough for most people!
Some of you may know that I've been at this for a number of years. In that time I've come to realize that I'm not a person who has been able to easily find it in myself to follow the MWL plan 100% of the time. I've been having a mini-freak out about all of this in the past few weeks. Backtracking away from my goal has been making me feel quite disappointed in myself.

I was in need of a bit of perspective, so I had a session with RD extraordinaire Jeff Novick.

I'll share a bit of it with you, because I think it could be helpful to everyone. We discussed program basics (The Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines). We looked at my numbers, specifically, and we had a jolly good time getting my head back in the game. :)
Much of our conversation centred on taking the focus back to me. Sometimes its a good idea to put yourself first - I realized I may have to step back from putting so much effort into getting my kids to eat this way more consistently, and even from worrying about my mom*. Jeff reminded me that consistent, life-long behaviour changes are difficult and that relapsing can be a part of that. What's important is how you face these challenges.
The specifics we discussed were the metrics needed to see where I am in the process.
Current weight: 140 (and creeping up)
Recent low weight in April: 125 (and where I want to get back to)
All time high weight: 237 (where I never want to get back to)
What Jeff said next was the line that helped me the most. He said REMEMBER how far you have already come; this deviation from the course has not taken you back to the start of the race. Even if it feels that way. Just keep at it.
He also asked if I thought that I was a volume eater? If that's the case, the principles of calorie density become even more important to follow. I don't think I am in general, but I can definitely overeat when I'm caught in the Pleasure Trap or habitually snacking before bed. I did a little experiment with myself last year to try and determine exactly how much I eat a day. If any of you want to take a look at it, I posted about my 10 Day Mary's Mini in my online journal on this website. We also went through the other lifestyle factors important for healthy living, like was I doing any activity?
Talking with Jeff was very helpful. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get an objective and experienced perspective on why they aren't achieving the results that they expect - I found him much friendlier and easier to understand than cronometer.com. If anyone wants to book a session with him you can private message him through this website, or go to his website: Consult with Jeff Novick (UPDATED)

If you're struggling but don't feel up to talking about it with someone, just keep going through the motions. Practice makes perfect. Try keeping track of what you are eating for a few days (you can do this online on cronometer.com). Keep reading Dr. McDougall's newsletters and watching the plethora of videos and webinars available. Reacquaint yourself with the concept of calorie density. Get enough sleep, manage stress, don't drink or smoke. Keep engaging in a way that you feel comfortable...like right here with us each week! :)

Best wishes to all of you for another great week of working towards losing some weight and becoming just a little healthier in the process.

Amy XO

*Mom - you're doing great on your own right now! 16 pounds lost since August is pretty fantastic. Keep it up. :)

Here are the results for the fourth week in September:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 29th, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 628.16 pounds

September 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2017: 34.9 pounds
Total group loss in August 2017: 59.6 pounds
Total group loss in September 2017: 39.9 pounds

Week ending 09/22/2017: 12 participants reported a total loss of 14.3 pounds
---------------------------------------
AnnaUK - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 1.0
--------------------------------------
Suey51 - 3.2
Zsilent1 - 2.0
Qwerty988 - 4.4
Sirdle - 0.2
BeHealthy - 2.0
Talita8 - 0.9
Galooop - 1.6
Sarabee - 1.0
Svenja - 0.0
LadyM - 0.0
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 15.3
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in September 2017: 39.9 pounds
Week ending 09/22/2017: 12 participants reported a total loss of 14.3 pounds
Week ending 09/15/2017: 12 participants reported a total loss of 3.3 pounds
Week ending 09/08/2017: 16 participants reported a total loss of 13.1 pounds
Week ending 09/01/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 9.2 pounds

(Edited: Proof reading errors)
Last edited by amandamechele on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby BeHealthy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 pm

amandamechele wrote:BeHealthy - Great loss this week. Did your travels take you to both sides of the country? Though I'm interested in hearing about that, I'm even more interested in hearing about which soup recipes you find...lol! It truly is about the food for me. What are your favourite soups?

Amanda - I got as far west as Colorado. Lot's of good hiking around Denver and Boulder.

I'm going to make some black bean soup and minestrone. Both recipes are in the Starch Solution. I tend to not follow directions well though, adding and subtracting a lot depending on what I have and don't have and what I like and don't like. I only got a chance to make butternut squash soup so far. I roasted the squash and then pureed it with a bit of water and almond milk. So simple, but good.
BeHealthy

Postby BeHealthy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Svenja wrote:Have a great weekend everyone!
And please ... pray or send well-wishes to my country! This weekend we have elections in Germany!

Svenja, it looks like things have turned out fairly peacefully so far. I hope it continues. I was in Germany for a couple weeks this time last year. It's so wonderful! We went to Oktoberfest in Munich and then traveled by train, exploring many towns in the Rhine Valley and then on to Berlin for a couple days. I hope I can return again soon to explore more. Such good times. :)
BeHealthy

Postby amandamechele » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:13 pm

sarabee - Congratulations on the loss. Your success, and all of the others here, keeps me motivated too!

Svenja - It's great to hear that you are doing well with the regular program. That is a great achievement. One step at a time! Best wishes for your studying and the elections. :)

Anna - I don't know much about Pilates. Can you tell me more? Which muscles ache...lol? Do you enjoy it?

Dee - 1 more week! You can do it! XO

BeHealthy - I did a bit of hiking in the broader area this summer too! I love the lack of humidity in Colorado. I could walk for miles and not sweat, it was glorious...lol. Your butternut squash soup sounds delicious.
amandamechele

Postby Qwerty988 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks for your post, Amy. It really helps to read and I can sure relate to what you're going through!

Jeff Novick's take on calorie denisty has been life-changing for me. I'm a shameless volume eater and this is the only strategy that's turned things around for me, filled me up and kept me satisfied, while also taming my raging appetite.

It feels so good to be completely full and satisfied after eating now!!! A unique experience because I've always been a bottomless pit with food -- and working at home, my days can turn into an all-day buffet. But really using his strategy and forcing myself to actually eat the non-starchy veggies at most meals is working.

I've also been listening to Dr. Lisle's podcasts (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/beatyourgenes) which are amazing and cover all kinds of topics, not just food-related. I also had a phone session with him and can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who's struggling with any aspect of life! :nod:

By the way, not that it matters, but my head would be exploding with joy if I was hovering around 140 right now! :lol:
Qwerty988

Postby ANNAUK » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Awesome post Amy I'm 9 pound heavier than you and also look at my best around 125 pound or just under. We moved house last month my husband still hasn't found work here so has to live with his parents and I think I've underestimated these changes. Food journal works best for me when I've lost the plot so think I'm gonna start with that from tomorrow to find a new positive focus
I have been drinking a lot more at weekend's as a treat when my partner is home I then spend all week misogynist weight
Starting today that has to stop it does not make me happy
Let's home we find our mojo for how we lost all the weight we have so far :)))))))))
Xxxxxx
ANNAUK

Postby sirdle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 pm

amandamechele wrote:I was in need of a bit of perspective, so I had a session with RD extraordinaire Jeff Novick.
~~~
He said REMEMBER how far you have already come; this deviation from the course has not taken you back to the start of the race. Even if it feels that way. Just keep at it.
~~~
He also asked if I thought that I was a volume eater? If that's the case, the principles of calorie density become even more important to follow. I don't think I am in general, but I can definitely overeat when I'm caught in the Pleasure Trap or habitually snacking before bed. I did a little experiment with myself last year to try and determine exactly how much I eat a day.

Jeff's down-to-Earth, common-sense approach helps keep me grounded. 8)

Out of curiosity I added up a few day's totals -- I often eat around 6# of food! Wow. I had no idea. Then, for fun, I entered a typical pre-Mcdougall day for me and compared it to a day when I was centred and on-track.

2300 calories
fat = 43% (110 g total, 50 g saturated)
protein = 15%
fibre = 3 g
cholesterol = 82 mg
calcium = 450 mg
zinc = 4.2 mg
sodium = 4,500 mg
Omega 6: Omega 3 = 95:1

2050 calories
fat = 10% (24 g total, 3 g saturated)
protein = 12%
fibre = 85 g
cholesterol = 0 mg
calcium = 750 mg
zinc = 9.8 mg
sodium = 1,200 mg
Omega 6: Omega 3 = 3:1

I thought this was interesting because there are days when I worry that I'm not getting enough calcium and zinc. I never worried about these things when I was eating M&Ms for breakfast, but for some reason they worry me now. As it turns out, all of my numbers are far, far better than they were pre-McDougall.

So, even if I slip a day here and there, the failure is insignificant compared to the progress that I've made.

I feel like it's important to keep my eyes on the big picture. :-D

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby zsilent1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 am

"I feel like it's important to keep my eyes on the big picture."

Yes, Sirdel I agree! Hopefully, next year this time I will be approaching my goal weight. It's gonna be a long haul and I'm all in. Big picture is where it's at. :)

Susan
zsilent1

Postby Svenja » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 pm

@ Amanda

Svenja, it looks like things have turned out fairly peacefully so far. I hope it continues. I was in Germany for a couple weeks this time last year. It's so wonderful! We went to Oktoberfest in Munich and then traveled by train, exploring many towns in the Rhine Valley and then on to Berlin for a couple days. I hope I can return again soon to explore more. Such good times. :)

Ohh! That sounds wonderful!!
If you come next time ... come to the north too!!! Please! I live a hour north of Hamburg!
Be my guests! ... if you don't mind simple! I have spare room at the practice :)

The elections were very peaceful BUT first time since WW II we have a right-wing-extremist party in our parliament ... which kind of freaks me out! They got 13% ... that equals 85 seats ...
A lot of people voted for them as a protest against our old and new chancellor ... which is really dumb as it's not gonna help anyone!
Anyway ... will do my best to pray for those leaders, for them to do a good job and to stick to humanity !!!

Did my daily trail exam today and got 96% ... oh yeah! Hope so much, that this is all gonna work out at the end!

Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program