September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Suey51 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:44 am

Lyndzie wrote:
I started eating veggies for breakfast (VFB) as recommended by Chef AJ, and it's kinda amazing. VFB is 1 lb of non-starchy vegetables as the first meal of the day, whenever you first get hungry. I've been sautéing mushrooms, zucchini and tomatoes in Italian seasonings, with my collard greens on the side, and by day 3 I was actually looking forward to it. I'm usually hungry pretty soon after waking, and this is keeping me full until lunch. If you're willing to try it out, it's definitely interesting. She says if you are still hungry after your veggies, go ahead with your usual breakfast, just get your veggies in first.

Best to everyone this week in avoiding off plan food. I was at a funeral AND a birthday party yesterday and managed to avoid the food there, but still didn't make it home without making a less-than-ideal choice. But, if I judge myself at the 80% that Dr. Doug Lisle recommends, I'm a winner!

Lyndzie - thanks for the suggestion and for the Doug Lisle quote :) I decided to try VFB this morning and think I could get used to it!
Suey51

Postby amandamechele » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Talita - I'm glad you've had so much success so far. Keep listening and learning! :)
Chef AJ is a great resource. I struggle with bread/wheat products too (like I mentioned yesterday night). Do you keep them in your pantry for the kids? Have you ever gone without them for more than 4 days? That may be a start, if you haven't. A 4 day goal will feel much more do-able then forever, and by that time maybe the cravings or triggering will have muted a bit and be manageable.

Svenja - I'm so glad you had a good week. I can practically see you smiling. :) Those are great marks on your practice exams, you will do wonderfully on the real thing. It will all be in the past soon, keep eating well and be kind to yourself. Also, thanks for posting that Dr. Klapper video...I've seen it bouncing around social media but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I've met Dr. Klapper and can say he is a very kind man and also very tall...I only come up to his waist (and that's only a slight exaggeration...lol).

Jen - Welcome and congratulations on how far you have already come. Here's to a good week for you too!

Lyndzie - I'm glad you're back and completely understand how you were feeling last week. Are you settling in well? Did the move go smoothly?
VFB is a great suggestion and I'm glad you have found something that works for you. Best wishes to you this week and congratulations on getting to where you want to be!!! That is super exciting. We're all happy to be your maintenance buddies. You're definitely a winner!

Kathy - Thanks for checking in Kathy. :)

Qwerty988 - Spinning does look hardcore on tv...lol....you make it sound quite fun.

Dee - Yippee, I'll dance with you. You have so much to celebrate this week. XO

Sarabee - My sincerest congratulations! Thank you for your kind comments, its your diligence and effort that truly got you here and will get you the rest of the way. Have a great week.

A few of you have been inspired by Chef AJ this week. She has some very creative and delicious recipes. I enjoy potato waffles, which I heard about from one of her webinars. I put cold mashed potatoes in a waffle iron set to high. Leave them in for approx 15 mins and then peel them out. They're deliciously crunchy and you can top them with all kinds of things (she says her favourite toppings are onions and applesauce). I had waffles last night after the Veg Food Fest. I'm disappointed to say there wasn't anything there that would have fit our guidelines except for corn on the cob and I couldn't justify buying that because I have a whole bunch boiled and ready in the fridge.

I still somehow managed to spend too much money, even without eating anything there. My friend had to pry me out of the bookstore area...lol. I bought the very cute T-shirt for my zombie obsessed son.
amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks Amy for sharing the detailed description of your slip-up. It sounds very familiar to me.

Thanks again Lyndzie for mentioning veggies for breakfast. I've done that for the last couple of days and have enjoyed the experience. After that I had veg soup with brown rice when I felt hungry (about 11am) before going out for a few hours and then had another bowl of soup and rice when I got back about 4pm. I restricted my usual brekkie oatmeal/porridge to an evening snack, when I am very tempted to have something comforting while watching TV.

Here's a pic of this morning's veggies - curly kale, beetroot and carrot from the garden. Didn't add any seasoning today and they were still very tasty!

Best wishes to everyone x
Suey51

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 am

Hello Group,

Happy to report 2 lbs down this week. Hope everyone had a great week. Thanks to you all for sharing this journey!

Go VFB! :) I had corn on the cob and green beans one day. Pretty good and easy too, since it was left overs.

Stay Happy & Snappy!

Susan
zsilent1

Postby sirdle » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:39 am

Amy - how did your week go?

Your slip was a lot like the slip-ups I have -- no huge trigger, but a lot of little triggers that add up. The biggest for me is always:

amandamechele wrote:4) Find out how you respond to stress and devise strategies to cope with it constructively.

Last week I had a very stressful day of troubleshooting under heavy time pressure. I had no time to eat and as the stress built I got hungrier and hungrier. 3 hours after my normal lunch time, a contractor walked in with a plateful of pastrami sandwiches. I ate one. Then I ate a bag of potato chips. Then I proceeded to eat 5 (!) Nestle crunch bars. It took 3 days to get completely back on track. I mean, the next two days were on target food-wise, but the volume of food (and total calories) was higher than normal (hence my measly 0.2 pound loss). At no point during the day did I think -- kid, you need to slow down, take a break, and get something to eat... I just kept plowing along, totally fixated on solving the problem.

For me, the solution is mindfulness -- being aware of what my mental state is... what my emotions are... what my stress level is. This is something that I'm working on, but it does not come naturally for me. It runs contrary to the way I was raised and all the role models I had growing up. But when I am aware of rising stress level, I can take action -- go for a walk... stretch... talk to someone for a few minutes about how their day is going... send my wife a text... eat a healthy snack (which I have in my desk drawer!).

1.0 pound loss for me this week.

Cheers, :-P

By the way, I love the picture of your '6-pack' corn. :cool:
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:40 am

Happy Friday everyone! :-D

Wow, can't believe another week has gone by! Still doing potatoes and have also been really enjoying a big bowl of veggies first thing in the morning -- I've been doing a big green salad and following up with oven fries a few hours later. I'm loving it!

Thanks for sharing about your slip, Amy. I'm taking a page from your book and not weighing myself too frequently. Every other week seems to work best for me.

So put me down for 0.0 this week, and I'll have a number for you next week :)

Wishing everyone a great week ahead!
Qwerty988

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:58 am

Hello, I lost a pound since last Friday.

While losing a pound is better than gaining one, I'm not truly rejoicing, because:
1.) The pound I lost is really just the pound I gained last week, putting me back to where I started at the beginning of September.
2.) My choices were not all great this week, leaving me feel lucky to be showing a loss at all. Just the same, I'll take it!

On the brighter side, even though my food choices were not good, my exercise was. I walked more than 10,000 steps every day last week, and lifted weights at the gym. Getting all those steps in is a challenge. It takes a long time to walk that much and I'm unable to run right now. It's getting darker earlier and earlier and I work (not walking) for the majority of the daylight hours.

Next week, there is not much chance at all in being 100% compliant to MWL, and I'm ok with that. I'm traveling 5 out of the 7 days, visiting family and friends, eating out the majority of the meals, and doing some major relaxing and celebrating. I'll cut myself some slack on being perfect next week, make as good as choices as I can, accept the consequences, enjoy my time with family and friends, and come back refreshed and ready to rededicate myself after my 5 days of adventure.

I hope you all have great weeks!
BeHealthy

Postby galooop » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:38 am

Gained 1.6 LBS

Some of last week's bigger loss came back.
I'm on kind of a plateau for a while now.

To be honest, I've gotten too lax in my food choices.
Want to re-focus and do better again, because I can feel the difference.

Big thanks to Amy for all your work on this board. Your honest description of your slip helps us all understand that we're not perfect, just trying to do the best we can each time.

Wishing everybody a great weekend!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby talita8 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi All,
This week it looked like I was going to be the same weight. But it dropped finally on the last day. Down 1.5lb. Which brings me back to my pre holiday weight. Which is also my first goal weight. So this week I am going to see if I can go below the weight I have been maintaining all year. I have done some intermittent fasting, starting my first meal at about lunch time or just before and not eating after my main meal. I have found it really easy. Easier that having breakfast, breakfast seems to get me wanting to eat more. I have had mostly MWL but have had flour. Having to prepare food for 3 teenagers, a mother in law with demetia and a hungry husband. They are all slim and need extra calories. But it also means they get loads of plant based meals.
Amy I had one major slip up this week, I was baking chocolate chip cookies "For my family" and ate loads of dough and cookies after they were cooked. I aim to get my teenagers to do any baking this week and I aim to not have flour.
Sue how long are you Spain. How lovely!
By the way I live in New Zealand. Have a good week all.
Talita
talita8

Postby amandamechele » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 pm

Sue - Your salad from earlier this week looks delicious...and I love your table linen.

Susan - Woot woot! Great loss this week. I'm happy we can all share this journey too. :)

Sirdle - I hate when I have a day like that, I'm glad you fought your way back so quickly. Your mindfulness and stress diverting ideas are great strategies. How my week went is evidenced by my weight gain this week. I'm working at it and will get things back in check. :oops: My six-pack corn was delicious!

Qwerty988 - Its nice to hear that your very simple potato and veggie plan is working so well for you. Your dedication is quite inspiring. Weighing weekly isn't for everyone, that's for sure. I will be taking a month long break from it myself because we're downsizing in my household and the gigantic old doctor's office scale was just too big and heavy to make the cut. I've given it away and will be eventually looking be for a smaller one that connects to an app via wifi and does other fancy and unnecessary things. :)

BeHealthy - Excellent exercise progress. Enjoy your adventures with your family and friends. :) See you next week!

Chris - Thank you Chris, I wish you a great week refocusing.

Talita - Congratulations on making your first goal! You did well by setting very a manageable mini-goal. Now you have something to celebrate and to build off of. You have an even busier household than I do! Kudos to you for keeping your own health in mind while also doing the same for your family. Baked goods do me in too! I definitely can't keep "regular ones" in my house, I can even over-eat Mary and Heather McDougall's delicious pumpkin muffins and banana bread. That stuff is a trigger for me. It sounds like you've figured out a good plan to let your kids have their cookies and eat them too! Ooh how lovely, I will visit you one day; I've never been to New Zealand. :D
amandamechele

Postby Yomom » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi gang,
Congratulations to everyone for their inspiring progress and comments. I have been weighing weekly since late 2016 with this group, but I need a break. I have been bouncing around the same weight for ages (which is good - not to have gained), and I now suspect that weekly weighing is too frequent for me, as I am close to what I guess will be my goal weight (i.e. the last 20 lbs).
I will continue to follow this MWL thread, but as a lurker.

Thanks for the journey. Best of luck to all of you, and profound thanks to Amy for leading our group so wisely and tactfully!

Kathy
Yomom

Postby Svenja » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Good morning!

It is no loss for me this week!
I am quite happy for it, since it is the time of the month and I usually gain ...

Off to my last seminar today ... it is 9:30 am to 7 pm ... plus a hour drive ... I guess I will be very 'flat' (as we call it in German) afterwards :)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Suey51 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Hello everyone,

Amy - please count me as zero this week. Love the look of your potato waffles and corn, bet they tasted good!

Am in Spain for a week, so will join next Friday's ŵeigh-in. Am in an apartment with my Mum who doesn't want to gain any weight this week so we have been able to control what's in the kitchen. Have have had good, 90%+ compliant, eating days so far. Have eaten veggies for breakfast, salad or veggies with brown rice and chickpeas or jacket potatoes with veggies or salad plus some raw veggies, fruit and rice cakes as snacks. Mum has had a little fish, butter, granola, milk and whole grain bread, but otherwise has joined me in eating the starches, veggies and fruit :-D I was super excited to find some spinach and kale in a local supermarket as leafy greens are one of my favourite foods!

The weather is warm which really helps me eat healthily. Done lots of walking and some swimming, so overall hoping my weight stays the same or even drops a little for next week. Lovely to spend the week with Mum :-D

Congrats to all losers and hope you all have a great weekend xx
Suey51

Postby LadyM » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 am

Good morning everyone:

I am down .4 lbs. from last week. They say slow and steady wins the race (whomever "they" are).

Another week of good news. My granddaughter is doing great on WFPB and her mother, my eldest daughter, has said that she will also do this way of eating to support her and help her. My daughter included her husband, my granddaughters step dad, in this mix. She told me he is not happy and is kicking and screaming. She told him that if he wants meat or any other garbage or killer foods than he has to buy it himself and cook it outside, and he has to clean up after himself.

He was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago and thinks that carbs are going to kill him for sure. I gave him Dr. Barnards book on diabetes for his birthday in August and he has not touched it yet. His mom has diabetes too and he says he inherited it from her. I tried to tell him the only thing he inherited from her was what they were eating. Oh well time will tell if he changes or not.

I'm off to go buy some winter clothes. I am so not a girl, I HATE shopping and trying things on. A friend told me a long time ago that I am every guys dream woman because I hate spending money on a ton of clothes when I can only wear one outfit at a time. Lol!

Hope everyone has a great week. See you all lighter. :lol:

LadyM
(Dee)
LadyM

Postby sarabee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:20 pm

I had a 1.0 pound loss for this week. In addition to the "starch solution" food, for the past four months I have been following an intermittent fasting plan to have a 12-16 hour period of fasting every 24 hours. This has helped me to stop eating/snacking in the evenings, which has been a positive change. For me, just not eating is often easier than deciding what to eat and then eating too much of the wrong things. On April 10, 2017, I weighed 157 and yesterday I weighed 138. For me this is huge! I always say that I have lost hundreds of pounds, but they are the same ten pounds over and over again. (For years I have bounced around in the 149-159 range). Now I am so encouraged that I can make it to 130 (or below), which is my all-time goal. Thank you to everyone on this discussion board for your encouragement and sharing.
sarabee

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program