September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Suey51 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:36 am

Congrats to all on your achievements - losing weight, holding steady and/or exercise. It's always good to hear how you're all doing :)

Thanks Susan. Congrats on your birthday and well done on staying on track.

Hope everyone has a great weekend x
Suey51

Postby landog » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:51 am

Hello September MWL people!

It's good to be back.
I've been eating MWL all week.

Put me down for -1 pound @ 161 lbs.

thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby ANNAUK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm

2 pound gain for me. Time of the month so hoping its just that
Good luck all xxxxx
ANNAUK

Postby talita8 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi All,
I am new. I have been eating the McDougall for about 3 years. I got to my first goal weight and have been maintaing all this year. I wentt on holiday, did my best but put on weight. My guess was there was a lot of oil used in the cooking and i ate to much fruit and nuts. This week I lost 2.5 lb.
I need to loose 5.5 lb to get to a new goal weight.
I have had cancer, which was an estrogen feeding one. So it is imortant
for me to have less fat on my body, the more fat I have the more estrogen my body makes.
I have private messaged Sue and she encouraged me to join because she said you are an encouraging group.
Thanks Talita
talita8

Postby amandamechele » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Sue - There will be good weeks and not-so-good ones. C'est la vie. Enjoy Spain with your mum. I'll add you in next week as a zero so you are still on the board. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Qwerty988 - Double Wooo hooo! Its great to hear that your very simple potato plan is working so well. I've never been to or taken a spin class, I have probably only seen it on TV. Is it a bike with no seat?

Susan - You made it through a bunch of hurdles this week and you're still running strong. Congratulations! The longer you stay away from that kind of food the more your body has a chance to recognize it really isn't real food. I went through that with Diet Coke. I didn't realize how terrible it tastes until I had given it up for about 3 years. One night I took a swig of one and was horrified. All I tasted were chemicals. How could I have drank it for so many years? I even preferred it to regular Coke. Blech!
Have a great week yourself. :)

BeHealthy - Great work increasing your exercise. I love to walk too. What kind of resistance training are you looking into?

Sirdle - Yay! Every little bit counts. :)

Chris - Woah! That's a great loss, especially considering an interruption in a regular pattern. You adapted yourself wonderfully. What happened to your ceiling? I hope it's done quickly for you. Take care.

landog - Wonderful to hear. I've had a highly adherent week too. It feels good, doesn't it?

Anna - That happens to me every time as well. I've found my lightest time of each month is directly after that week. I enjoy weighing myself then...lol...for obvious reasons. Best wishes for next week.

Talita - I'm so glad Sue pointed you in our direction. Great loss this week. :) How have you been faring? What kinds of meals have you been making for yourself?
amandamechele

Postby talita8 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi All,
Sorry I only discovered there were 3 pages, so I repeated myself. I lost weight doing the McDougall plan and myfitnesspal. It was not MWL, but regular exercise. I have been listening to every plant based doctor, every webinar, lots of their books. The thing is no one has ever really thought I was that over weight. Except my kids, who will comment on parts of my body. Because I am tall, others don't notice if I put weight on, but I sure feel it. Over eating has always been a problem.. I listen to Chef Ajs weight loss Wednesdays and really think she is right about foods being trigger foods, wheat is the hardest for me at the moment. Thanks for the links I will look them up. I have listened to the audio book of mindless eating. I agree I should listen again. Thanks Talita.
talita8

Postby talita8 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi All,
Sorry I only discovered there were 3 pages, so I repeated myself. I lost weight doing the McDougall plan and myfitnesspal. It was not MWL, but regular exercise. I have been listening to every plant based doctor, every webinar, lots of their books. The thing is no one has ever really thought I was that over weight. Except my kids, who will comment on parts of my body. Because I am tall, others don't notice if I put weight on, but I sure feel it. Over eating has always been a problem.. I listen to Chef Ajs weight loss Wednesdays and really think she is right about foods being trigger foods, wheat is the hardest for me at the moment. Thanks for the links I will look them up. I have listened to the audio book of mindless eating. I agree I should listen again.
I am well practiced in eating lots of veg and starch. I If did not have a family I could do the same meal most days .
Good to see the photos of the simple foods. I love to have potatos kept in the fridge for snacks.Thanks Talita.
talita8

Postby Svenja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:21 am

Good Morning!

It is one pound loss for me :)

And I am so happy and glad about it!
This week my weight went up more than 4 pounds without any obvious change (for me).
I was so fed up ... that I decided that I will eat within the regular McDougall Program what ever I want until exams time is hopefully over in a few months. I went of to the shops and bought myself something I haven't had in a long time: a whole rye, artesian, beautiful bread with lot of seeds in it ... that was a real treat.
For some reason (it's most likely not connected to the bread ... so don't feel inspired to get one) ... the weight came off again and took an extra pound with ;)

Fall has really started here in northern Germany!
:(

30 days till the written exam ... my trails are currently between 85 and 95% ... hope to get to the point of 95-100%, to give myself a chance to make it through the actual exam.
My body is coming up with all kind of stress symptoms ... to let me know, that it would be a good idea to get it all done with ...

Have a great weekend everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Arewethereyet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:55 am

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to join the group. Lost 25 to 30lbs last year using a combination of methods. Was stuck for 4 to 5 mos, and have just recently been compliant enough on MWL to get going again. Currently, 198 (down from 232 August of last year.)

Here's to a good week for all of us! :cool:

Jen
Arewethereyet

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:59 am

I'm down 1 lb.

Last week I didn't post because I was up a couple pounds on my Friday weigh in. I had had a couple of off plan meals when moving that week, and was just too embarrassed that my weight would fluctuate so significantly. Funny enough, when I weighed myself the next day, I was right back at my previous week's weight. I'm pretty much where I want to be weight-wise at this point, so this is more to keep me in check so I don't gain the last five pounds back again right away.

Best to everyone this week in avoiding off plan food. I was at a funeral AND a birthday party yesterday and managed to avoid the food there, but still didn't make it home without making a less-than-ideal choice. But, if I judge myself at the 80% that Dr. Doug Lisle recommends, I'm a winner!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Yomom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 am

Unchanged at 151#.
Yomom

Postby LadyM » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:47 am

Hey everyone:

I am doing the happy dance this morning. I am down 3 lbs. from last week. Only 1.8 lbs. left to lose to get to my second goal. I can and will do this.

Great news for me this week. My 20 year old granddaughter watched What The Health 2 weeks ago and she got grossed out about the dairy part of our SAD way of eating that she went WFPB overnight. I congratulated her and offered to help her if she needed or wanted it. She said if she has questions she will ask me. Next step (one step at a time) is to turn her onto this web site. :nod:

Hope everyone has a great week.

LadyM
(Dee)
LadyM

Postby Svenja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:45 pm

I really enjoyed this video ... it's not McDougall, but very close !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZRRTrlt7FA&feature=youtu.be
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby sarabee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:33 pm

I had a 1.0 loss for last week. This is my lowest weight in about 23 years, and 30 pounds lower than my highest weight. My goal is to lose 10 more pounds. So happy with a total 17 pound loss since the beginning of April! Thank you to everyone on this forum. Reading your stories and checking in on Fridays is really keeping me motivated.
sarabee

Postby amandamechele » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi All,

Its so nice to hear how each of you are doing and to learn from your experiences. I love that we've got such a consistent core group with new members coming in at a similar pace to others leaving when their goals are satisfied or they just need a bit of time. I'm here for the support. Tonight more so than usual. Here's a not so fun experience that I will share:
Thirty minutes ago, I stumbled. After a week of very strict adherence to the MWL guidelines I walked into my kitchen and ate a couple of plain whole wheat pitas and all of the dates in the house (thankfully there were only 3 left). What the heck happened?
Let's go through a bit of what I think led up to this today:
- I weighed myself for our weekly weigh-in and wasn't particularly thrilled with no weight loss, but at least it wasn't a gain.
- I spent a lovely day at our local Vegetarian Food Festival. I ate before I went and watched the presentations instead of wandering around the food stalls.
- I came home and got the kids ready for bed...it went as well as all bedtimes go (Moms here will know what I mean...lol)
- After spending 30 minutes writing an email, I made an error and lost everything that I had written. Aggravating, but not the end of the world.

That's when I decided to step away from the computer and go into the kitchen for some tea. I spied the pitas that have been sitting on our counter all week, walked over and just ate them. I, then, proceeded to the fridge and took out the dates and ate them too (they've been in our fridge for months and weren't even that delicious if I'm honest, but I choked them down).
This is a blow by blow account of a slip. It happens to many of us. For some of us it happens often. It's why I'm currently not losing any weight...but its also nothing to despair about.
Slight stress, opportunity, habit, and energy dense foods; all of these things came into play here tonight. No one thing was to blame and there are some pretty obvious changes that can made to ensure this kind of situation occurs less frequently.
Which changes any one of us is willing to make however, will be very individual. Below is a list of suggestions based on my above bullet points.
1) Keep your environment as clear as possible of foods that call to you.
2) Don't weigh yourself more often than is helpful.
3) Avoid social situations that can trigger cravings.
4) Find out how you respond to stress and devise strategies to cope with it constructively.

When this type of slip happens to you remember that for most of us its inevitable. What's not inevitable is a continued downward spiral into negative emotions and tubs of soy ice cream. This is when we pick up where we left off before the fall and just get right back to it. One bad choice, day or week does not have to lead to another one.

For a detailed explanation and new understanding of this type of struggle be sure to watch next week's McDougall webinar. Dr. Lisle (the staff psychologist) will discuss overeating and binging and its evolutionary basis. Here is the link to sign up for the live webinar:
The Cram Circuit, The story of binge eating and overeating through the lens of Learning Theory
If you can't watch it live, a replay will be available within a day or two.

Well that's all I've got for the night...I'd better get back to that email.
Have a great week everyone!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the second week in September:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 15th, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 610.56 pounds

September 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2017: 34.9 pounds
Total group loss in August 2017: 59.6 pounds
Total group loss in September 2017: 22.3 pounds

Week ending 09/08/2017: 16 participants reported a total loss of 13.1 pounds
---------------------------------------
Suey51 - 0.6
AnnaUK - 2.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 2.6
--------------------------------------
Qwerty988 - 0.8
Zsilent1 - 2.0
BeHealthy - 0.0
Sirdle - 0.2
Galooop - 3.2
Landog - 1.0
Talita8 - 2.5
Svenja - 1.0
Arewethereyet - 0.0
Lyndzie - 1.0
Yomom - 0.0
LadyM - 3.0
Sarabee - 1.0
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 15.7
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in September 2017: 22.3 pounds
Week ending 09/08/2017: 16 participants reported a total loss of 13.1 pounds
Week ending 09/01/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 9.2 pounds

(Edited due to proof reading errors)
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program