September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:09 pm

Welcome to the September Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

September is reading weather, in my opinion. No more fluffy August beach-reads, but meaty non-fiction that requires your thinking cap. I always have a very large stack of books on my bedside table. It actually grows faster than it shrinks because my appetite for a good book is almost as large as my appetite for a good meal; I'm only still learning to be more discerning about both. ;)
Many of us following Dr McDougall's way of eating are not just trying to lose weight, but to improve our health and health-span. We want to learn everything we can about how to live well. Many of my book choices are guided by this desire.*
Late last year I purchased The Telomere Effect by Drs Elizabeth Blackburn and Elissa Epel and I'm finally getting around to reading it. The book begins with some background on telomeres, which are found on the end of each strand of your DNA. They protect the chromosomes from damage; Some of what we call aging is the accumulation of DNA damage. Until (relatively) recently telomeres were thought of as a sort of static aging-clock. Each time a cell divides a small section of telomere is lost; with each division more is lost until the telomere can no longer protect the cell's DNA and it becomes non-functional (senescent) or dies.
Though your genes influence the length of your telomeres, Dr Blackburn's research indicates that certain lifestyle factors affect telomere length and the production of the telomere re-building enzyme, telomerase, as well.
The lifestyle factors discussed sound a lot like what we've read about in Dr. McDougall's newsletters and Jeff Novick's forum. Eat well**, exercise, manage stress and build strong social support.
The book is very simply written, making it a quick and fun read. What I learned about how I respond to stress, alone, was worth the time spent.
I'll share just one little bit, because this post is getting rather long (sorry). In Part II, the authors explain that how we experience stress has a significant effect on the length of our telomeres and how much telomerase we produce (and thus how well we age). They determined this cause and effect relationship by studying mothers who were caregivers of children with a chronic condition; the longer the caregiving stress, the shorter the telomeres. But there were some caregivers whose telomere damage did not follow this trend. It was these parents that helped the researchers understand that how we respond to stress, and not necessarily just the stressful situation, could lead to unhealthy telomeres and aging. People that feel anxious and predicted future loss/failing in response to a threat (stressor) fared more poorly than those who took the threat as a challenge to be overcome. Which way we react is guided by how naturally stress reactive we are and our memories of past experiences. However, even if our natural inclination is to worry, feel ashamed, embarrassed or like a failure in anticipation of a stressful situation, knowing this goes a long way in moderating the pattern. If glib self-exhortations are not your style, then try interrupting the cycle with a reminder that this physiological response is a tool to successfully endure what you're going through. It won't change your stress level, but can possibly alter your focus away from unhelpful rumination and pessimism.
I'll end my description there. I have enjoyed the book but don't think it is necessary to improve on any of the recommendations that you can find right here on this website in order to improve your own health. There's something to be said for not having to learn how to build an engine before learning to drive a car.

See you all tomorrow!

Amy :)

* If you are new to the program, you may want to stick with becoming familiar with all of the resources available here on the website before deciding whether to venture into other reading material. Jeff Novick has written a number of articles on how confusing this information overload can be. Breaking Health News and The Information Myth
** I'd better add that the authors' interpretation of Eat Well is not 100% in line with what we are learning from Dr. McDougall. I personally follow Dr. McD's recommended dietary pattern, and think we all should. That's why we're here!

Amy XO

PS. Check out the August 2017 newsletter's feature Stumbling Blocks to Dietary Transition for a 2 sentence summary of the McDougall diet.

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Re: September 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Suey51 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:03 am

Hello everyone,

A 1.8 pound loss for me this week :)

Amy - thanks for sharing Lyndzie's question and Jeff's response on compliance, the Gandhi quote and the cute picture of your little one. I hope for the best for Lyndzie's co-worker and Jeff's nephew-in-law.

Susan - thanks for sharing the Daily Stoic quote, very helpful. I've now signed up for their emails :)

While its reassuring to think I'm not alone in my struggles with compliance, I was kind of hoping that there was some magic answer out there that I would find that would make it all easy. Instead, I've learned that its a bunch of things; applying all the advice in the MWL program, ongoing learning to reinforce both the 'why' and to help learn the 'how', getting back on track when I slip, noticing success and not beating myself up when I'm not perfect - as Doug Lisle says 'getting a B at this is OK'.

This week I've done well on following the goals of - following the program most days, reducing the overall calorie density of my food and enjoying eating simply - so I'll stick with those.

I went through all my jeans and sorted them into ones I can now fit back into (:)), ones for the charity shop/bin and ones to alter. I'm also going to have to do a similar thing with dresses and underwear. While I'm pleased to see the results of the weight loss, I have slightly mixed feelings about losing some of my clothes. However, I have way too many, particularly work clothes that I no longer need. So its a great opportunity to establish a capsule wardrobe and treat myself to one or two new items!

I am doing a charity walk tomorrow and have been training for that with some new friends who are joining me on the walk. We've enjoyed our training walks (and they've been a distraction from my evening unhealthy snacking habit!) so much that we hope to continue them!

Keep going everyone, the benefits are worth the struggles x
Last edited by Suey51 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suey51

Postby landog » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:07 am

Thanks, Amy!

I'm interested in telomeres - if only because my daughter got in trouble in high school for asking her science teacher to explain them. Apparently, the teacher could not do a good job of that!

I also heard Dr. Dean Ornish talk about them. I think that I'll get the book!

I'm MWL this month!

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby sirdle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:13 am

2.0 pound loss for me, this week. 8)
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:24 am

Hi All!

I am down 1 lb this week. I must admit I haven't been exercising. I usually get some swimming in but it's been a little cool lately, fall is on the way.

This weekend will be challenging for me. My BD, fam coming for the Holiday, then husband's BD. Daughter graciously offered to make my birthday meal. So I chose to have falafels (baked), tabboule and lots of veggies. I'm gonna make a cherry crisp with cherries I have in the freezer. No fat, very little date sugar. Hubby wants black bean burgers for his birthday, I can make those no problem. He's been doing pretty good sticking with me on this! I'll make us some tastey dishes when the fam comes. They are planning on ordering pizza. And so it goes.

Amy thanks for the links on compliance. Good reading! ;) Suzy you're welcome! Thank you fellow group members for sharing your journies! :)

Susan

Released 19 lbs
zsilent1

Postby galooop » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:45 am

Gained 0.6 LBS

Well, I gained a little over the last 2 weeks, but it's not bad, considering I was out of town half the time and had much less control over my food.

I honestly didn't know what to expect when I got on the scale this morning. But now I'm b-a-a-a-ck! And ready to comply!

Hope everyone has a great week!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Yomom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:12 am

Minus 2# for me this week, a good trend.
We did a lot of hiking this week so I am building muscle. I even managed to work out on days when my exercise class had been cancelled. Twice a friend came over and we did what we remembered from the class, in my basement.
The upcoming week will be a challenge, as we will be away from home. More hiking though!
Best wishes to everybody in the MWL group.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby gaylerobin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Hello, everyone!

Down 2 lbs.

Amy, you were right -- best 0.8 lbs I gained last week. :wink: I learned a great deal recording everything I ate, and making a couple changes this week has paid off. Now to keep moving forward!

Gayle
gaylerobin

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:07 pm

I gained one pound this week.

Last week, I didn't eat very well, or, maybe I should say I ate too well... but I did get my steps in every day. I'm looking to be able to report better results next Friday.
BeHealthy

Postby amandamechele » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Sue - I love your update. I hope everyone who joins us this month reads it because it's well written and can help show so many people what kind of work it takes to be successful in the application of eating this way over the long term. As for getting rid of some of your clothes, I say enjoy it and enjoy finding some wonderful new pieces to add to your new and smaller (in more than one way) wardrobe. Congratulations on all of your diligence this week. The benefits are SO worth the struggles.

Welcome back Landog - I'm glad to have you joining us for the month. I wrote that post with you in mind. :)

Sirdle - You are doing great! I may need some of your spirit-lifting humour, I'm stalled in my weight loss right now.

Susan - Happy Birthday Susan, to you and your husband. Your week with family sounds wonderful, and you've got a great menu planned to enjoy it without compromising all of the efforts you've put in thus far. Hug that daughter of yours for helping you celebrate with a healthy meal. Best present ever!

Chris - Welcome b-a-a-a-ck! I hope you enjoyed your travels.

Kathy - I love it, your basement gym class. Enjoy the hiking and travels. I hope you easily find some restaurants willing to work with you. Best wishes. :)

Gayle - Woot woot! You've got it, keep moving forward.

BeHealthy - Ok... don't sweat it. :) This is a new week and a new chance to reflect and readjust your strategies to see what will help you with adherence. Is anything in particular tripping you up?
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 am

Good morning!

No gain or loss for me!

I think I have revived my scale for now ... but I better start looking for a new one ...

I tried hard this week to eat more veggies ... I really don't enjoy them. Maybe a miracle will happen ... and one day I will suddenly like them :)
I did some extra walking, taking my study-cards to memories the infectious diseases and all their details ...
... 36 days to go ...

Have a great weekend everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby LadyM » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:03 am

Hello everyone:

No loss for me this week. Boy it is soooooooo hard to lose the last few pounds. I think the fat that is left inside has been there for 70 years and it's like cement and hard to move. :eek: I'll try again for next week.

Amy you asked about the Hawaiian Black Salt and the taste. It is a grinder so the salt (yes it is black) is coarse and tasty. If you have an addiction to salty foods turn around and run for the door. This stuff is lethal do not purchase it. I wanted to buy Indian Black Salt (aka: Kala Numak this one is light pink) because it is said to taste like eggs when you use it in a tofu scramble or when you make those little potato things that end up looking like deviled eggs. But my little pea brain said "hey self I bet this Hawaiian Black Salt would do the same thing." Does not taste like eggs. Lesson learned follow the recipe. :\

Hope everyone has a great week.

LadyM
(Dee)
LadyM

Postby sarabee » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Lost 1.0 lbs. this week. Going in the right direction!
sarabee

Postby sirdle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:50 pm

amandamechele wrote:Sirdle - You are doing great! I may need some of your spirit-lifting humour, I'm stalled in my weight loss right now.

Hmm.

A. A. Milne wrote:Pooh sat down on a large stone, and tried to think this one out. It sounded to him like a riddle, and he was never much good at riddles, being a Bear of Very Little Brain. So he sang Cottleston Pie instead:

___Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
___A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
___Ask me a riddle and I reply:
___"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."

That was the first verse. When he had finished it, Eeyore didn't actually say that he didn't like it, so Pooh very kindly sang the second verse to him:

___A fish can't whistle and neither can I.

Eeyore Still said nothing at all, so Pooh hummed the third verse quietly to himself:

___Why does a chicken, I don't know why.

Not what you had in mind? Now that I think of it, that might not actually help you lose weight. :oops:
Perhaps you to hum a different hum while doing your Stoutness Exercises?

A. A. Milne wrote:Edward Bear, known to his friends as Winnie-the-Pooh, or Pooh for short, was walking through the forest one day, humming proudly to himself. He had made up a little hum that very morning, as he was doing his Stoutness Exercises in front of the glass: Tra-la-la, tra-la-la, as he stretched up as high as he could go, and then Tra-la-la, tra-la-oh, help!-la, as he tried to reach his toes. After breakfast he had said it over and over to himself until he learnt it off by heart, and now he was humming it right through, properly...

It works for me. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Thank you to everyone who stopped by this weekend for the weigh-in. :) We've had a respectable start to the month and I am predicting good things for all of us.
I visited with my parents yesterday and am happy to report that they continue to follow the McDougall plan (not quite MWL, but close) since I challenged them last month. Dad's morning blood sugar readings have come down consistently to the low 5s (that's under 100 for you mg/dl types). We are all really happy about this, especially him. Prior to getting back to this way of eating, he had begun experiencing recurrent skin infections that just weren't healing; one even brought him to the hospital the month before last. We are hopeful that once he gets enough time-back-on-plan his blood sugar levels will stabilize and this will stop. (I'm more than hopeful, I know it can be done!)
This has me thinking about how I can help motivate him to continue to work through all of the little things that pull him off track. He definitely doesn't have The Perfect Personality for this. While using the website's search feature for some inspiration I came across Jeff Novick's recommendations for successful long term compliance:

RE: Compliance on a Healthy Diet

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:50 am

JeffN wrote:
We are just finishing up a 10-Day program and this issue of long-term compliance was the topic of several discussions both formally in the lectures and informally around the meals.

During one lunchtime discussion on this issue, there was a women sitting with us at the table who had been successfully doing this program for over 30 years. So, I asked, her, tell us what you believe has been the most important factor to your long-term success. She didn't even hesitate and said, easy, simplicity. I keep it very simple.

So I asked, what do you think would be the next most important thing. And again, without hesitation she said, I just don't care what anyone else thinks of me.

Words of wisdom. :)

In Health
Jeff

As usual, this came up again at the recent 10-day programs.

As I mentioned in another thread, so did the issue of what I call "internal confusion," which is happening more and more recently. Not confusion about our perspective and the perspective of low carb, paleo, atkins, etc etc but confusion created by others in the WFPB world.

I had 3 Q&A Sessions and this topic came up in each one, especially in the last one. I reviewed most of the things in this thread with the group but they still wanted to know what were the 3 most important things I recommended for their best chance at success.

Here they are...

For the first 6 months to a year....

1) Simplicity

Keep this as simple as possible and resist every influence to make this complicated. You don't need 5 versions of oatmeal, and 15 dinners, and fancy pots, pans, utensils, etc. Just use what you already have and keep it simple. Oats, fruit, rice, beans, veggies. They dont have to be organic, Non GMO, fair traded, imported, etc. Eat sweet potatoes, not imported Japanese Satsumas. They can be fresh, frozen, canned, etc, whichever makes it easiest. You just need oatmeal, brown rice (Starch), beans and a few veggies and fruits you like.

2) Focus

First, on this program

You invested a huge amount of money, time, effort and energy in Dr McDougall, his program and his staff. Trust your decision and the process. For the next 6 months to a year, if you have a question, ask Dr McDougall, Mary, Doug, Alec or me. We are all accessible. If you need a recipe, Mary has about 4000, if you have a question, most of them are answered in the forum or our hot topics. If you need reading material for support, we have a dozen books, 100's of newsletter and articles and videos going back about 30 years. Read the Hot Topics and this website and my forum and the Education material at the website and the FAQ here in my forum. When done, re-read them. If you need, email us, we are all responsive.

It is not that others WFPB Health Professionals are wrong, it is just that there are some slight differences between them all and you are just going to get confused. I would tell you the same thing if you picked one of the others but you are all here and made this choice. And, there are many WFPB "experts" that have little to no clinical and patient experience but you may not be able to know that about them. You are spending this week with a bona fide, licensed, credentialed professional team that each has over 25 years of direct clinical experience helping people. Get the most out of your investment.

Second, on yourself.

Until you have put the time in over the next few months and understood the program and been able to achieve and maintain your own success, keep the focus and attention on yourself. Do not worry about telling your spouse, your parents, your daughter in law, your cousins, your neighbor, your hairdresser, the local school, your church group, the food industry, the USDA, the FDA, the FTC, your doctor, the neighbors kid, etc etc or anyone else about the program or trying to get them to do it. Keep the focus on yourself, understanding and implementing the program and getting yourself well. We are not asking you to become a evangelist or preacher of this way of life or to try and convert anyone. We are only trying to help you take care of yourself.

This is not selfish, this is self nurturing and right now, you need all your focus and attention on you.

3) Avoid the vegan trap

Fully explained in this thread...

When Vegan is not Enough

Compliance on a Healthy Diet

I've linked the whole thread (above) so you can go through it. Like Sirdle pointed out while trying to cheer me up (in an earlier post): though we must recognize our limitations that doesn't mean to stop trying to improve. Respect your own inner nature while working with the circumstances that life has given you. Keep learning, keep reflecting, keep refining, keep trying.

Have a lovely week all!
Amy

Here are the results for the first week in September:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 8th, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 597.46 pounds

September 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2017: 34.9 pounds
Total group loss in August 2017: 59.6 pounds
Total group loss in September 2017: 9.2 pounds

Week ending 09/01/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 9.2 pounds
---------------------------------------
Galooop - 0.6
BeHealthy - 1.0
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 1.6
--------------------------------------
Mom+Me - 0.0
Suey51 - 1.8
Landog - 0.0
Sirdle - 2.0
Zsilent1 - 1.0
Yomom - 2.0
Gaylerobin - 2.0
Svenja - 0.0
LadyM - 0.0
Sarabee - 1.0
AnnaUK - 1.0
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 10.8
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in September 2017: 9.2 pounds
Week ending 09/01/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 9.2 pounds

(Edited due to poor proof reading...again)
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program