Is starch really only 1 calorie per gram?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is starch really only 1 calorie per gram?

Postby Sweet potato11 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Why does Dr. McDougall say starch is only one calorie per gram? I have searched the internet for supporting evidence of this and can't find anything. I'd love it if this were really true, but I'd like more scientific evidence. Shouldn't they be the same calorie density as fruits and vegetables if that's true? Everywhere else I look says carbs are 4 calories per gram. Thank you.
Sweet potato11

Re: Is starch really only 1 calorie per gram?

Postby Chumly » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Dr. McDougall is talking about the actual food, not carbohydrates. A potato that weighs one pound (454 grams) has approximately 400 calories or roughly 1 calorie per gram. This is because of the water and fiber content of the food that adds weight without calories. fruits and non-starchy veggies have more water and fewer calories per gram.

Michael
Chumly

Re: Is starch really only 1 calorie per gram?

Postby Sweet potato11 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Thank you Chumly for clarifying this for me! No wonder I couldn't find anything about this any where else.
Sweet potato11

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program