August 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Sarabee - Great loss this week. Keeping it simple keeps it simple! :lol: What kind of things do you put in your salads? I'm looking for some inspiration.

Svenja - Do your best to keep the discipline up! You won't regret doing your best in school or for your health. I'm so glad you keep working at this. My weight gain this week may be for the same reason as yours. Those darn hormones!

Kathy - I'm so glad you are healed up enough to get back to hiking. NFLD is the only province I haven't visited yet. I particularly want to visit L'Anse aux Meadows. I'm glad you had a wonderful time at the wedding and managed to eat well too. Bonus!

Dee - Not bad at all! :) Simple eating does work the best. What are some of your favourite things to eat over and over again?

Chris - Congratulations on being drug-free! That's fabulous. Keep showing us all how its done!

Mom+Me - I'm so glad Jim has been able to help you sort out the posting problems. He's awesome! I'm also really impressed by your dedication to ensuring that you do post (and this week's weight loss). No worries about posting late (you really weren't), I don't tend to tally anything up until late on Saturday...this is the earliest I've been able to get to it in a long time. Best wishes for keeping up this great momentum you've got going!

Now to get those kiddies off to bed...good night all!
amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:33 am

Hello everyone,

Amy - thanks for the encouraging words :) Love the pic of your preparation with Dr McDougall looking on, it really made me smile. Lovely to see all those big jars in the background. Wonderful news that your Mom is continuing with the MWL challenge, seeing the benefits of this WOE and getting your Dad involved too :-)

Today I have two confessions:
Firstly, I am surprised/embarrassed to say that I wasn't signed up for Dr McD's newsletter. However, I spotted a link to his July newsletter on the Facebook group and it was just what I needed to read at that moment. A great summary of how Dr McDougall developed his views, some links to research on the benefits of the McD program, a summary of the McD program and as a bonus, some fab recipes! It was just what I needed to help me get refocussed. It also prompted me to pick up the MWL book again. I'm amazed at how often I have to read things for all the details of this program to sink in. Does anyone else find that?
If any of you haven't seen this month's McD newsletter, its here.
(PS I have now signed up ;-))

Secondly, I find 100% compliance with McD MWL is really tough. Does anyone else find that? I can manage a few days but then I slip off-program (usually in the evenings or at weekends). The program sounds so simple on paper, and the research so compelling, but the reality of sticking to it for extended periods of time is sooo challenging! It stretches my emotional and behavioural muscles and shines a light on many deeply ingrained habits. Having reached my first goal of losing 10 pounds in the first 8 weeks, I have only lost 1-2 pounds in the last 7 weeks. I've realised that the degree of compliance that got me to the first goal isn't enough for me to reach the next goal. And, I wonder if I’m not as motivated now that I have reached that first goal and am subconsciously questioning whether the price is worth the additional weight loss?

I am still 1 stone (14 pounds) heavier than I was 14 years ago, so there’s definitely more to lose. This article by Dean Ornish about what really works to motivate people to make changes in diet and lifestyle struck a chord with me today: hope it’s not too off-message for this forum!

So, this week, as well as focussing on following the program most days and reducing the overall calorie density of my food, I have added a third goal of enjoying eating simply.

Here's a photo of my preparation this morning. Image

And some no-oil beetroot hummus which goes very nicely with those crudité veggies.

All the best xx
Suey51

Postby Yomom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 am

Thought I'd post about my lunch "chopped salads" or "rice bowls" - not sure what to call them!
These salads are very portable, and I prefer to throw them together fresh each morning.

I start with the basics - satiating starches:
1 cup brown rice (made previously in Instant Pot, stored in freezer)
1/3-1/2 cup beans (made previously in IP, stored in freezer)
1/3 cup corn (from bag of frozen corn in freezer)

I zap these frozen starches for 1 minute in the microwave.

to this I usually add whatever is in the refrigerator, most commonly:
1 carrot, chopped
1 piece celery, chopped
1 raw beet, chopped
1-2 cups greens, chopped (current favorites are kale & swiss chard, although I also like cabbage and arugula).

Sometimes the kale, chard & cabbage are lightly cooked (in IP) and sometimes they are raw. I really like these greens because they are robust; they hold up well both in the refrigerator and in my lunch container.

-- then in a small dish I mix together an improvised dressing, consisting of some vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and cumin, plus or minus some no-oil hummus.

I rarely throw in some fruit for sweetness, such as a chopped apple, or berries, or currants. Usually I forget this step because I am in a rush.

These salads are very filling (obviously very nutritious), need a lot of chewing but can hold me until 4-4:30 PM when the snack monster strikes. Other people are usually aghast that I eat "so much" but I manage to Not Comment on the very high calorie density of their lunch choices.

The rice & beans that are separately prepared ahead of time in the Instant Pot, then stored in the freezer, are key to my being able to keep this lunch salad preparation routine going.

What salads do you like to throw together?

Kathy/Yomom
Yomom

Postby Suey51 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:22 am

Yomom/Qwerty988 - thanks for sharing the yummy salad ideas! You have inspired me to make something similar for today's lunch :)
Suey51

Postby galooop » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 pm

So, after a quiet fight with myself, I had a slice of pizza at the mall today. Don't know why I ate it. It pretty much tasted like melted rubber.

Maybe I was being sentimental about how I used to have a slice of pizza with my mom at the mall.
Honestly, I don't know.
galooop

Postby amandamechele » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Suey51 wrote:Hello everyone,

Amy - thanks for the encouraging words :) Love the pic of your preparation with Dr McDougall looking on, it really made me smile. Lovely to see all those big jars in the background. Wonderful news that your Mom is continuing with the MWL challenge, seeing the benefits of this WOE and getting your Dad involved too :-)

Today I have two confessions:
Firstly, I am surprised/embarrassed to say that I wasn't signed up for Dr McD's newsletter. However, I spotted a link to his July newsletter on the Facebook group and it was just what I needed to read at that moment. A great summary of how Dr McDougall developed his views, some links to research on the benefits of the McD program, a summary of the McD program and as a bonus, some fab recipes! It was just what I needed to help me get refocussed. It also prompted me to pick up the MWL book again. I'm amazed at how often I have to read things for all the details of this program to sink in. Does anyone else find that?
If any of you haven't seen this month's McD newsletter, its here.
(PS I have now signed up ;-))

Secondly, I find 100% compliance with McD MWL is really tough. Does anyone else find that? I can manage a few days but then I slip off-program (usually in the evenings or at weekends). The program sounds so simple on paper, and the research so compelling, but the reality of sticking to it for extended periods of time is sooo challenging! It stretches my emotional and behavioural muscles and shines a light on many deeply ingrained habits. Having reached my first goal of losing 10 pounds in the first 8 weeks, I have only lost 1-2 pounds in the last 7 weeks. I've realised that the degree of compliance that got me to the first goal isn't enough for me to reach the next goal. And, I wonder if I’m not as motivated now that I have reached that first goal and am subconsciously questioning whether the price is worth the additional weight loss?

I am still 1 stone (14 pounds) heavier than I was 14 years ago, so there’s definitely more to lose. This article by Dean Ornish about what really works to motivate people to make changes in diet and lifestyle struck a chord with me today: hope it’s not too off-message for this forum!

So, this week, as well as focussing on following the program most days and reducing the overall calorie density of my food, I have added a third goal of enjoying eating simply.

Here's a photo of my preparation this morning. Image

And some no-oil beetroot hummus which goes very nicely with those crudité veggies.

All the best xx

Your food is always so beautiful! I enjoy your photos immensely.
I also enjoyed the quote from the movie Chocolat at the beginning of the HuffPo Dean Ornish piece that you've linked:
“Listen, here’s what I think. I think we can’t go around measuring our goodness by what we don’t do. By what we deny ourselves. What we resist, and who we exclude. I think we’ve got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include.”

How is the week going?
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Yomom wrote:
These salads are very filling (obviously very nutritious), need a lot of chewing but can hold me until 4-4:30 PM when the snack monster strikes. Other people are usually aghast that I eat "so much" but I manage to Not Comment on the very high calorie density of their lunch choices.

Kathy/Yomom

Kathy you are way too nice a person to comment on what they eat...lol! Keep being a great example to them and us.

I'm a lazy salad eater and often just eat the greens right out of the bag I purchased them in. Your's sound much more delicious and filling.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

galooop wrote:So, after a quiet fight with myself, I had a slice of pizza at the mall today. Don't know why I ate it. It pretty much tasted like melted rubber.

Maybe I was being sentimental about how I used to have a slice of pizza with my mom at the mall.
Honestly, I don't know.

I've had and lost those fights with myself, as well. It's interesting that pizza no longer tastes that appealing to you. That's the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.
I hope you don't get too upset with yourself. Your dedication and effort have been excellent and I hope the rest of the week goes well.

Amy xo
amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:31 am

Thanks Amy. Love that quote :-)

My week is going well thanks. Sharing feelings/thoughts here and reading the Dean Ornish words really helped me get through that low point. Friday and Saturday evenings I had some off-program foods and alcohol, but the last four days have been much better, with overall reduced calorie density and more raw veggies. And I’ve enjoyed the simpler meals

My husband is being very supportive, keeps encouraging me to look at the big picture and remember what I have achieved already. I also bought some new jeans in a smaller size which made me feel great :-)

x
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:51 am

Hello everyone,

A 1.4 pound loss for me this week :)

One of my simple meals this week - brown rice, steamed curly kale and pinto beans - very tasty!

Hope you all have a good weekend x
Suey51

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 am

Greetings All!

Released 4 lbs this week. Feeling better each week too. My knees are hurting much less, and right hand improved. I'm staying pretty compliant and have no cravings etc. I get the Daily Stoic via email everyday. The following one came this Wednesday which for me rang true:

DAILY STOIC

"Discipline is easier when it’s clear. That’s why the Stoic writings are filled with rules and reminders. About what they do, what they don’t do, what they know is unvirtuous.

In moments of temptation, “I probably shouldn’t” is not a great line of defense. But knowing what you do and don’t do? Much better. Try to turn down a slice if you’re someone who “usually doesn’t eat carbs.” When it’s right there in your face, you’re not going to be able to say no. This is why 12 Step groups insist on total abstinence. The slippery slope is too dangerous.

Make clearer lines. Define who you are and what you do. Free up your energy for other considerations. Let your discipline be set in stone."

I chose to change my lifestyle and as I said before, it's a sea change for me. The McDougall way of living is for me. My 67th birthday is in 2 weeks and I want to be able to enjoy my life with health, wellbeing and joy. I was beginning to be pain riddled and didn't like it. Now, simply eating the McDougall way, the pain has greatly diminished and health is returning, in just a little over a month. I have a long way to go to lose the amount of weight I want to. I know I can and will do it, I am doing it. Thank you Dr McDougall from the bottom of my heart!

Susan

Released: 18 lbs
zsilent1

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:42 am

Happy Friday everyone! :-D

Please put me down for 0.0. (I've started a 30-day potato marathon, so I'll weigh myself when it's done :))

I've chosen to go super-monotonous with my menus for the time being because I'm focusing on incorporating different forms of daily exercise and building up some muscles. Potatoes usually work pretty well for me for weight loss and I'm craving simplicity lately. We'll see how it goes!

Congrats to all you losers -- and thanks for everyone's posts! It's so nice to have company on this journey, especially knowing there are many months ahead. :)
Qwerty988

Postby sirdle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:20 am

1.1 lb loss for me this week. :-P

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:03 am

Hi everyone!

I am holding steady at 0 this week.

Today is day 22 of total McDougall compliance. I've been avoiding sugar because they give me cravings, and had pasta with my favorite sauce the other night, just to find out that it contains sugar. It tasted soooo sweet! I'm going to have to start making my own from scratch. At this point I'm making everything (except bread and almond milk) from scratch, but I wanted just one friggin product that I could grab straight off the shelf!

We're moving this week, which for us is pretty routine. On to the next adventure! Hope everyone else has a great week!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby ANNAUK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 pm

2 pound loss for me this week
Moving house tomorrow
:)))) xxxx
ANNAUK

PreviousNext