August 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: August 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:34 am

Hello People!

Happy to report that I'm 2 lbs lighter this week. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and week to come.

Susan

relelased 14 lbs
zsilent1

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:04 am

I am down another pound.

I've had lots of practice declining food, and I'm getting better at it, and other people are also more comfortable because they know what to expect. Today is day 16 of total compliance (basic McDougall program, minus refined foods like white flour and sweetners, rarely any rich foods), and when I follow the program, it works. When you give 100%, you get 100%. Crazy, right?

I'm pretty much where I want to be weight- and size-wise. But tonight I'm going to a local fund-raiser, and last time I got side tracked was in April and my undoing was a fundraiser with food and wine. Tonight I have decided to just enjoy the company of others and eat beforehand, and NO WINE. I got a new dress and want to radiate confidence. I'm excited and nervous! My dad's girlfriend will be there and she likes to comment on my food.

Best to everyone else this week!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby galooop » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:08 am

Gained 1.4 LBS

Well, I'm off my plateau, but in the wrong direction - sigh!
Because I got too loosey goosey last week...

Oh well, time to do a 3-day RE-SET -
If I concentrate on staying rigorously on plan for 3 days, then after that it gets easier.
I know I FEEL so much better when I stick to the program.

Wishing everybody a great weekend and On Plan Week!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby sirdle » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:06 am

Down 1.2 pounds this week.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby gaylerobin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi, all! Completely forgot weigh-in last week, so I'm down 1.4 total today.

This week I'm going to try recording everything I eat in order to better catch those "unconscious" eating moments -- a couple bites here, a piece of candy there. They don't seem like much, but they do add up. We'll see how it goes...

Gayle
gaylerobin

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Happy Friday!

I lost 0.5 pounds last week.

I could have lost more. I slipped up a few times and didn't exercise as much as I wanted to. I figured out why I went wrong and will try to reduce the chances of it happening again. And, when things do happen, because they will... I'll make better choices.

Goals to reach before next Friday:
Ride bike: Long ride Saturday, shorter rides M, W, F.
Walk: Daily dog walking and a longer walk on Saturday and Sunday
Weights: Restart program I was following before getting sick last winter
Food: MWL + elimination of some foods in the hope of reducing some inflammation that has been increasing
BeHealthy

Postby Silver » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi All!

I lost 1.6 pounds this week.

My company is gone and I'm looking forward to getting back on track this week.
Silver

Postby amandamechele » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Heidi - Great job holding out against temptation and old habits. I hope this week went just as well.

Sue - I totally hear you regarding 1 misstep will more often than not lead to a fall. It's wonderful that this realization has led to renewed interest in getting organized and planning ahead. I look forward to hearing how this week's plans go. Here is how I was getting organized on Thursday:
PS. Thanks for posting that video, I'd never seen it.

Qwerty988 - Ok, well you'd better listen to that mirror! LOL. Best wishes this week.

Susan - Fantastic progress Susan!

Lyndzie - LOL, so so crazy. Enjoy your dinner tonight and radiate that confidence all over the place! I hope your Dad's girlfriend has all great things to say, but if that's not the case, do your best to remember that she just doesn't understand and some people are incapable of not commenting on things they don't understand.

Chris - Oh no. A 3-day reset sounds like a wonderful idea. :) I agree with you, so so much, about feeling better when following the guidelines. I often wonder about why some people don't end up in this same situation. I have family and friends who have tried this plan out, based upon my success or recommendation, and then find it too difficult to continue or they don't lose weight fast enough...and I think don't they notice a big difference in their energy or stiffness or mental alertness or skin? What will it take to get someone to keep coming back even when they find it difficult to do?

Sirdle - Great job Sirdle. :) I hope this week goes well too.

Gayle - Wonderful loss and wonderful plan. Keeping track of everything you eat, for a small amount of time, can sometimes be surprising by showing you where and when those little bites and candy are sneaking in. Then you will be able to recognize any patterns and create a strategy to get through the situation the next time it occurs. Let us know how the week goes!

BeHealthy - Well you've got the right attitude about this and that's half the battle! Which foods do you suspect are giving you trouble?

Silver - You managed to lose some weight while they were visiting, so you made some good choices, and best wishes ramping it back up to a level of adherence that will be better for your goals.

My week has been a busy one with 3 family birthdays and 3 anniversaries; I wasn't home most nights. I ate the regular McDougall program, but I really really overate it due to constantly being tempted by the fake foods that were always around. I gained 0.5 pounds. Boo! This coming week has only two tricky social situations, and I already have a plan for 1 one them. :)
Some of you are settings some mini-goals, and I think that's a great idea. This week I'll follow MWL, and not eat after 7pm. Let's see how that goes and then I'll reassess.
amandamechele

Postby sarabee » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 pm

1.5 pound loss for me this week. It's amazing how the Friday check-in is keeping me on track. I'm eating lots of salad, potatoes, beans, lentils, and cooked greens, plus oats, ground flax seed, and blueberries for breakfast. Keeping it simple is working for me.
sarabee

Postby Svenja » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:33 am

Good Morning! :)

For me it is a gain of one pound!

I am actually quite happy with it.
It is the time of the month and I usually put 2-3 pounds on for the first days ...
And I was out with a friend for dinner on Thursday ... had a no-cheese veggie pizza. Was really good, but I think the spinach had some cream in it :( ... still enjoyed it and had a great evening out, which is rare these days!

My knee got better and I biked to work all week ... but it's been acting up since last night. :-(

50 days till exam day! Trying hard to keep the discipline up!

Have a great weekend everyone !!!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Yomom » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:08 am

Still 149# - no change - for me. After 8 days of vacation/wedding with limited mobility due to (recovering) sprained ankle, I'll take it!

We visited the beautiful province of Newfoundland in eastern Canada, where we hiked on the tundra and were able to watch, from high on the cliffs, humpback whales feeding below in the ocean. Wedding and other foods were tempting but I was mostly able to stick with the McDougall Program. More alcohol than usual.
Yomom

Postby LadyM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:40 am

Hello:

OMG it's almost September and the fall season. Where has the summer gone? It seems the older I get the faster the seasons go by.

I am down 1 lb. this week. Getting closer and closer to my next goal.

Not much to report this week. I do keep a log of everything I eat. I don't put down like how much I eat just what I eat. NO measuring or weighing of food. So if I have mixed veggies for lunch that's all I write down. I did look back over the last couple of years and realized that I keep my food real simple and boring. I tend to eat the same things over and over again. It seems to be working, I've lost weight and I'm healthy (as far as I know) no problems and no meds. Not bad for an old lady. :unibrow:

Hope everyone has a great week and remember to keep it simple, it works!:unibrow:

LadyM
(Dee)
LadyM

Postby galooop » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:27 pm

LadyM -
I agree with you - "simple and boring" is what works best for me, too.
Also, I'm another old lady on no meds - and want to keep it that way.

Whenever I go to a doctor at the HMO, he/she is always surprised that I don't take any drugs at the age of 70.
My health wasn't too bad the last time I had blood tests about a year ago.
I bet it's even better next time, after (mostly) being on Dr. McDougall's way of eating since March 1st.

:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Hello!

I've had major problems with the MWL Board this week + not being able to post messages. I'm very grateful to f1jim who is trying to resolve the issue.

Down 2 pounds.

If, + that's a big if, this posts, l know l'm late. I apologize, Amy. The message l tried to post last night wouldn't go through.

Take care, Everyone! :)
Mom+Me

Postby amandamechele » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for checking in this week. You all did quite well managing a variety of social situations while staying true to your goals to avoid oil, meat, dairy and all the other C.R.A.P. foods. Many of you even managed to stick to the MWL guidelines (I bow to your prowess in diligence). :)
I like being able to celebrate and have fun with my family and friends even though it can present challenges to eating this type of diet due to temptation. As I mentioned in a previous post, I did a lot of celebrating this week.
Yesterday was my daughter's birthday, so my parents came into the city for the day. We went to a Japanese restaurant and ordered edamame, kappa maki and veggie futo maki. The kids had yam rolls, rice and tempura broccoli. Those yam rolls used to be a favourite of mine but they are NOT oil-free. I was very tempted...and so was Dad, but Mom said she was going to continue with this MWL challenge and didn't want to ruin it by trying even one item that may trigger her cravings. I'm thankful that she held fast to her goal because it ensured Dad and I also stayed on track to support her. Yay for Moms!
She is rocking this challenge BTW; She's down almost 7 pounds for the month. But her biggest success is getting my Dad to focus on eating this way again too. She was so proud to tell me this morning that his fasting blood sugar was 5.5 (you don't want to know what that's down from!!). (Dad has Type 1.5 diabetes according to Dr. McDougall, and still takes some insulin).
So that's the Mom Report. I'm so happy she's giving this another go and is enjoying how good she feels. That's what will help keep her coming back.

Hmmm...this post is in need of a picture; here's what I was up to today:
These are two different types of chickpeas. What I learned about pressure canning today is to put less beans and more water in each jar or else I end up with uncovered beans at the top that will, eventually, discolour.
Have a wonderful week everyone!

Amy XO

Here are the results for the third week in August:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, August 25th, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 584.96 pounds

August 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds