August 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

August 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Welcome to the August Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

I don't know about all of you, but summer can wreak havoc on even my best laid weight-loss plans. Trying to lose weight is difficult. It's difficult to take it off, and difficult to keep it off. It takes continual effort and dedication over a very long period of time.
I know I'm not the only one who's tried multiple diet plans and yo-yo'd my weight up and down both sides of 200. I'm also beginning to realize that I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to take this amazingly effective MWL plan and follow it consistently and easily. I feel a bit better understanding I'm not the only one who struggles to get their body to do what their mind knows is best.
I thought it would be fun to share with you how I feel when I cycle off and on these best laid plans. Since I'm not a very eloquent writer, what better way to share emotions than through music.

I'll start with the getting off track part, this is when I'm eating pretty darn well, in my opinion, but a small bite here or an extra rich ingredient there and then...

Stage 1: Oh-Oh, my forays into craving-triggering foods have caught up with me:
Relapse, Shawn Hook

After this point, I begin to have many days in a row where I just can't seem to get to the end of the day without making food choices that I wished I hadn't, whether it's the type of food or the amount or both. Night-time eating begins to become a habit again and I begin to feel sad...

Stage 2: I'm not sure I can do this, I'm so disgusted with myself:
Say Something (I'm Giving Up On You), A Great Big World

This low point used to last for much longer than I'm proud to admit, but thanks to all of the information and support available on this website (book recommendations, recipes, newsletters, webinars, supportive people who have been following the plan for many years, access to the doctors and experts for advice), with a bit of diligence and understanding I begin to pull myself out of that funk...

Stage 3: Feeling Inspired to get out of the Pleasure Trap:
Fight Song, Rachel Platten

If I can keep up the momentum for a little less than a week or so things begin to get much easier...

Stage 4: Ok! I think I'm back on track:
Eye of the Tiger, Survivor

Now I just have to remember to follow the guidelines closely and not fall prey to the little temptations because I'm entering into a great spot where keeping the momentum going just gets easier and easier if I'm smart and careful and don't get too cocky!

Stage 5: Oh ya, this is what it's like to have room for other thoughts in my head...

Calm Happy place:
Peace Train, Cat Stevens
Dance-y Happy Place:
Fire In My Soul, Walk Off The Earth -this band is from my home town.
What plays in my head while chopping vegetables (when not listening to podcasts or webinars):
Bem Bem Maria, Gypsy Kings

If you've taken the time to read this far, please take one more minute to say Hi and join our little group for the month. I'd also love to know what songs others find particularly inspiring or motivating.

Talk to you all on Friday!

(Edited to fix an incorrect link)

Amy XO

PS. I'm hitting Stage 4 right now. Feeling plucky and motivated!

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
Last edited by amandamechele on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Re: August 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Mich0422 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:53 am

I was here at the beginning and July but summer, vacation and visitors took center stage. I'm back for August.
Happily, even though I was not 100% for the month of July, I managed to stay pretty even. That is a vast improvement over my old way of eating. I would have easily gained 5-10 lbs in an off month.

I'll be back for weigh in at the end of the week!!

Inspiring song - You Get What You Give. The New Radicals. It always kicks me up a notch :) :) :)

Michelle
Mich0422

Postby amandamechele » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Mich0422 wrote:I was here at the beginning and July but summer, vacation and visitors took center stage. I'm back for August.
Happily, even though I was not 100% for the month of July, I managed to stay pretty even. That is a vast improvement over my old way of eating. I would have easily gained 5-10 lbs in an off month.

I'll be back for weigh in at the end of the week!!

Inspiring song - You Get What You Give. The New Radicals. It always kicks me up a notch :) :) :)

Michelle

Welcome back Michelle. :-D I'm glad you managed to stay pretty even. That means you made some pretty okay choices too. It can be so disheartening to have to try and get back to a weight previously (recently) achieved.
Great song, the last lines of the chorus sum up why we sometimes aren't acheiving our goals as quickly as we would like:
can't forget... we only get what we give...
I'm going to be singing this song all night now...lol!
I hope the rest of your week goes well!
Amy
amandamechele

Postby Suey51 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:20 am

I'm reporting 0 gain/loss this week. Have had a very uncompliant week so relieved not to gain weight. In the middle of a month of lots of meals out, celebratory meals at home etc. which has meant lots of temptation! As Oscar Wilde wrote: "I can resist anything except temptation!"

Its easy to beat myself up for not being stronger, but I've also trying to get things in perspective. I am below my original weight goal; I am pain free, doing more exercise and have been able to get some smaller (and sexier!) gym clothes. My trousers are looser round the waist and legs, and most importantly, I feel so good!!! I've had some wonderful times with friends and family this summer and feel very grateful for the life I have.

I'm going to stay with lovely friends in The Netherlands tomorrow, but after that I have a month at home, without visitors and meals out so I will get back on the weight loss track with compliant MWL. (I'll obviously be packing some microwave wholegrain rice, my McDougall safety blanket when travelling ;-) ) I know if I am fully compliant I will start losing weight again.

Amy - your 5 stages resonate with me and love the music choices :-) I also find music expresses things so well. I am listening to Fight Song right now and am in tears, without being able to explain why. Thanks again for all the encouraging words and links to resources.

I'm not sure exactly how these fit into the 5 stages but these are tracks I find helpful for either complementing or changing my moods:

For feeling calm, relaxed or balanced The End of Suffering by Gary Malkin, feat Phat Niem & Thich Nhat Hanh
For feeling happy, energetic or motivated Set Me Free by Mylene Cruz

All in the MWL weigh-in group - I love reading your stories, whether they are about successes, struggles, food or family life. They make me feel I'm not alone and keep me going with this WOE xxx
Suey51

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:21 am

Wow is it Friday already?! :eek:

It's been a crazy-busy weeek, but I've stayed on track food-wise and have been getting myself to the gym. :)

Fine with reporting a -0.0 loss/gain this week -- hoping for a nice drop next week!

I'm an 80's girl, so it's Madonna for me, Express Yourself.

Have a great week everyone, I'm running off to spin class! :-D
Qwerty988

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:43 am

Greetings People!

Hope everyone is happy and well. I'm thrilled to report that I released 5 lbs this week. Yippee! I feel pretty darn good too. This is definately the path for me. I did get a tortilla press and yesterday grandson and I make tortillas to have with our dinner of red beans and rice.

Thanks to you all for sharing your journeys. I am in awe and encouraged by you all and grateful to be here.

My song for right now is The Healing Game by Van Morrison.

Have a happy snappy week everyone!

Happy Trails!
Susan

Total lost: 9 lbs
zsilent1

Postby galooop » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 am

Hello, everybody -
Lost 0.2 LBS - which goes to show that miracles DO happen...

I didn't look forward to stepping on the scale this morning. I had been out of town for over a week and tried to stick to plan, but did not always succeed. I did walk around quite a lot, so maybe that's what saved me.

Surprisingly, I was really looking forward to getting back on track once I got home. Because my tummy feels so much better now.

whew!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Yomom » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:19 am

I have no change at 149#.

This week I returned to my exercise class, and am walking longer distances on my (recovering) sprained ankle. The weather is cooler here, which is probably why I have started to make curries in the evening.
Yomom

Postby Velo1975 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello everyone. This is my first McDougall weight loss challenge. I'm 229.8 pounds this morning. I don't have a weigh in from last week. I've been vegan for over a year but that has included quite a bit of oil based processed junk food. I'm going to eat clean and see what the weight loss looks like this week. :)
Last edited by Velo1975 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velo1975

Postby BeHealthy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:02 pm

Hello - I'm glad to be able join in.
I'm down one pound this week.
The song that inspires me is "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten.
BeHealthy

Postby cambitsgirl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is having a great week. I am down 4.2 pounds at an even 200 this week. So close to onederland!

Carol :)
Cambitsgirl
cambitsgirl

Postby amandamechele » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Sue - You've got great perspective about this. No need to beat yourself up for not being stronger, we all have good weeks and not so good weeks. How wonderful is it to get into smaller and cuter clothes! That's fantastic to hear. Enjoy your stay with your friends. By the way, that great bell chant was wonderful to listen to and watch. Thank you for sharing. Rachel Platten's Fight Song always gets to me too (there's even a cover of it done by a Scottish group on the bagpipes that makes my Glaswegian grandmother a little teary). Best wishes this week. PS. I love Oscar Wilde for his witty one-liners .

Qwerty988 - I have to agree, Friday comes fast each week. Next week will be your week, for sure! I owned the Like A Prayer album...my fave was the album's namesake. Enjoy spin class!

Susan- Fabulous...both the weight loss and the tortilla making; how fun! I saw Van Morrison in concert, I want to say, 3-5 years ago when he came to Toronto. Great song! Happy Trails to you too. :)

Chris - Hooray for miracles! I hope your travels were lovely and I agree, it's always nice to get back to eating home cooked food.

Kathy - I'm glad your ankle is feeling better and you can get back to all of your fun classes and hiking. What kinds of curries have you been making? I still haven't found one that I love the way I used to love curries. Any that you would recommend?

Velo1975 - Welcome to the group. :) Best wishes on your transition to whole foods this week. Let us know if you have any questions and we can point you in the right direction to finding an answer.

BeHealthy - Welcome and great job. I love love love that song. Its my take back me life song. Have a great week and thanks for checking in.

Carol - I'm so excited for you, stay strong this week. I've got John Mayer on my mind because of this great read* from Jeff Novick's forum. Your pun has got me humming this song of John's tonight.
*The thread is called What's A Non Expert to Do. In it Jeff and a long-time McDougaller Spiral discuss the importance of thinking critically and educating yourself when trying to make sense of all of the apparently conflicting nutritional information we read from a variety of experts. It has a great music analogy at the end!
amandamechele

Postby Silver » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:37 pm

I did not lose any this week, but I did not gain either!
Silver

Postby Svenja » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:57 am

Good morning!

I lost one pound!

I tracked my food ... depending on exercise and intake I have a calorie deficit between 500 and 1000 calories!
How on earth do I gain weight on this some weeks???
My food is currently consistently boring ... due to studying after work. Theoretically I really should loose weight every week.
My knee is still bothering me a lot, but I started biking to work again and it didn't make it worse. So I will also try to get back into my other usual exercise. (www.ddpyoganow.com)

Have a great weekend everyone!
For me it's another study weekend, but slowly I am seeing some progress :) ... 65 days!

Blessings,
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Svenja » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 am

Amanda ... did you also loose your taste for curries ???

I used to like them so much, now I don't even feel like eating them.
It was a good way for me to get more veggies in ...

Hope the taste for it will come back with cooler weather (... saying this: our summer is really poor ... lots of rain, wind and cold ... sometimes under 20°C ... the farmers can't get their harvest in, as the fields are too wet ...)

Curries ... come back to me ;)
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program