July 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby starbright831 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Oh Amy, wish last weeks' gain had been 2 oz but unfortunately it was lbs. However, I'm happy to report a 2 lb loss this week. Finally going in the right direction again.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Dea
starbright831

Postby amandamechele » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Sue - Congratulations on your loss this week. Sorry I missed that you ID'd the nasturtiums in your original post. They look so lovely, as do the striped radishes or beets. Jane's dressing is so easy and delicious, thank you for including the recipe. I am still on my road trip. We will be home in 3 more days, and are currently in Northern Ontario. Though I've been focusing on keeping my eating simple while travelling, I will admit I am looking forward to having access to my recipe books and kitchen.

Qwerty988 - Woohoo! I'm glad it came right back off. :) Happy Friday to you too!

Darcin - I'm impressed by your dedication. Keeping at it is what will get you to your goal. Let me know if you have any specific questions; you seem to be slowly heading in the right direction.

Chris - Wonderful progress! Enjoy your travels and I can put you down as a zero loss next week to keep you in the tally. You will keep it together, I'm sure.

Sarabee - I'm so happy that we can help you keep up the motivation. You are really doing well figuring out what strategies work for you to stay on track. Keep doing your best and you will get to your first goal in the coming weeks. I'm very excited for you!

Waterfit - I'm happy to see you back. Your experience is similar to so many of ours. When I look back at my weight loss as a journey along a path, it would look like I have been taking three steps forward, then two steps back...over and over again. To many who don't struggle with adhering to the guidelines this may seem like a painful and frustrating process, but I have come to terms with it being my path and to be happy with the intermittent albeit slow progress. I hope you have success sticking with it, but also are kind to yourself if you slip again. Just keep coming back and eventually the days you follow the MWL guidelines will outnumber the ones that don't and you will see progress. XO

Silver - You did great this week, you made some great choices and didn't let a little challenge become a large one. I'm sorry to hear about the kidney stones.
Here is a link to the April 1999 Newsletter. Dr McDougall talks about kidney stones midway down the page. If you have any questions about your experience, you could email him. :) I don't know what caused your stones to pass this week, but I know eating a McDougall style diet will be health supporting through this ordeal. If you feel more comfortable removing the legumes, then go for it. Do you think you have been eating more protein than previously, in the past two weeks?
Best wishes this week and I hope that is it for emergency visits for a long while!

Carol - I'm glad to hear from you. It sounds like even through this busy summer you are doing a-okay diet wise. What things have you been doing to have this type of success?
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:25 pm

starbright831 wrote:Oh Amy, wish last weeks' gain had been 2 oz but unfortunately it was lbs. However, I'm happy to report a 2 lb loss this week. Finally going in the right direction again.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

LOL Dea! I'm glad that this week was better. :)

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:33 pm

... oh dear!

I gained 3 lbs :(

Still no exercising here ... because of my knee!
Time of the month ...
And too much late night food while studying ... all compliant, but too much and too late

(Maybe I should give this group a break till after the exams ... )

Have a great weekend everyone ... I am off to yet another seminar ...

Blessings,
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:55 am

Greetings, Everyone!

Well, this is not a post l really want to write, especially after a "0" last week, but l am up 2 pounds this week. :(

By the way l ate + didn't exercise, l can't say l'm surprised. It is not the fault of the McDougall Program at all!!! It's purely my own. I want to apologize to all of you, as well as to Dr. McDougall, because my lack of adherence is not right considering l signed up to do this. It's also not a good reflection on Dr. McDougall, the reputation of his excellent program + the talley at the end of the month.

But...at least l have one more week of this month to hopefully make a positive contribution to the Group + its talley! :)

Please learn from my mistake. I won't get into my entire history with Dr. McDougall's Program/health journey now, but my most recent experience with the McDougall Program was going excellently! Then l once again saw his invitation to join this Group + figured that doing so would be a very good idea. So l signed up on Wednesday, two days before the first weigh-in, where my first week would be "0" since l was new. Even though l was diligently + successfully following his Program (not the MWL), a few ideas crept in my mind.... So, I decided I would have some of the in-the-shell sunflower seeds l had earlier found in the back of the pantry. Afterall; it was a whole, plant-based food + l figured it would be a little treat. Later that day, l was shopping + saw that avocados were on sale + they had some perfectly ripe ones. Yea, you guessed it. I thought, "Well, l already had the sunflower seeds...+ Friday l'm "starting" with/committing to the on-line Group. I might as well have a couple of these decadant items (even though they're healthy in small quantities for people who are healthy + have no weight to lose)."

Wow--that was a long paragraph! Anyway, my kind of good intentions got out of hand. And healthier choices turned into less healthy choices. I know exactly what l need (+ want!) to do. I just have to do it. l always try to be a person of my word. That is why l truly am sorry for not having adhered + not being a good example. You have my word, not withstanding some catastrophic event; l am committing to you, Dr. McDougall, my family, + myself that l am going to do this! :)

Thank you, in advance, for bearing with my shortfalls! :) And except for letting you all down + not having honored my commitment (which really are huge no-no's to me), l really am glad l joined the Board + this Group!!!

I'd like to comment on others' posts but my phone battery is almost dead. Hoping everyone has a terrific week! :-D
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby LadyM » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:38 am

Good morning everyone:

Reporting no change this week (0 loss). I did try to add in some pasta earlier this week and my weight went up a lot. :eek: Thankfully after 2 days the weight came back down. Yes I have become a scale monkey. Ugh another habit I need to break. :oops:

On a funny note my eldest daughter and her hubby came to my house to paint 3 rooms for me. They have decided I am to OLD to do the painting myself. Kids what do they know. :lol: I was telling my daughter about a comment one of my neighbors made to me about being just skin and bones now. After awhile my child announced that she was going to take me to get a tattoo on my ankle and it was going to be a Thanksgiving turkey. She said next time anyone makes a comment to me about my weight I can stick my ankle out and say "See I have meat on my bones". :lol: She's my want to be comedian. I told her to keep her day job. :lol:

Hope everyone has a great week.

LadyM
(Dee)
LadyM

Postby Yomom » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 am

No change for me this week - still 150# but considering I ate ALL of the peanuts and had NO exercise due to a sprained ankle, this is a good outcome.
Yomom

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Gang!
Thank you for stopping by again this week to weigh-in. By continuing to keep your focus on healthy eating and the MWL guidelines you all will eventually reach your goals. Some weeks are not going to go well. Some months and years too! But, by continuing to keep a small piece of your mind thinking about strategies on how to work the plan more effectively and consistently you will become better at it.
My weight loss has been treading water, so to speak, lately. I'm still fitting into my clothes, but any losses I obtained through other measures earlier this year have undoubtedly evaporated. It has been evident to anyone reading the tally each week that I haven't been weighing myself, but I have refrained from discussing it too much because it makes me feel like a poor example, as the facilitator of this weight loss thread.
But, I'm sharing this now because maybe some of you reading this know how I'm feeling. It can be very easy to focus on that number and not the other small steps being taken, like getting that additional serving of veggies in or skipping that lunch out with work-mates and brown-bagging it.
I have managed to make peace with my most negative thoughts surrounding my culpability in making poor food choices and getting stuck into vicious cycles (Thanks to the book The Pleasure Trap). All that means is that I am able to look at this a teeny-tiny bit more objectively than I used to in order to pick myself up and dust myself off sooner rather than later when I do fall down.
Time just keeps marching measuredly ahead. Life continues to have ups and downs on an unpredictable but regular basis. Happy or sad, busy or bored we will continue to need to manage our lives to facilitate optimal choices. I have had to learn to just keep some skin in the game, even when I am not playing my best.
It takes time and persistence to build a new set of habits to replace the old ones. Keep doing your best, reflect on how you reacted to any situations where you wished you had done something differently.
Eating this way is just so important. Keep thinking on it even when you're not feeling up to doing it. But remember it does get easier to follow, the more closely you follow it.
All the best this week everyone!
Amy XO
PS. My vacation is in it's final days and my family is currently staying in the town of Sault Ste. Marie, in Northern Ontario. It is the hometown of Dr. Roberta Bondar, a woman I admire greatly and whose career I have been reading about since I was in high school. She is a neurologist and Canada's first female astronaut. For Canada's 150th Birthday, this year, she received the keys to this city. Tomorrow we will be taking some pictures around town and I will try to post her Welcome dedication sign. I really want a shot of that.
I also want to mention another Roberta that I admire. I read her story here on the McDougall website a number of years ago and remembered her tonight while planning my nerdy Bondar monument sight-seeing tour.
Roberta Varney: Weight Problems. She is an example of persistence and dedication; struggling and eventually succeeding. She is us and we are her.

Here are the results for the third week in July:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, July 28th, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 515.86 pounds

July 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2017: 22.1 pounds

Week ending 07/21/2017: 15 participants reported a total loss of 11.6 pounds
---------------------------------------
Svenja - 3.0
Mom+Me - 2.0
Total gains: 5.0
Suey51 - 1.2
Qwerty988 - 2.6
Darcin - 0.0
Galooop - 0.6
Sarabee - 2.0
Waterfit - 0.0
Silver - 2.2
Cambitsgirl - 4.0
Starbright831 - 2.0
LadyM - 0.0
Yomom - 0.0
amandamechele - 0.0
Annauk - 2.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 16.6
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in July 2017: 22.1 pounds
Week ending 07/21/2017: 15 participants reported a total loss of 11.6 pounds
Week ending 07/14/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 1.9 pounds
Week ending 07/07/2017: 23 participants reported a total loss of 8.6 pounds

(Edited to add a participant)
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Svenja - Oh Svenja, sounds like a rough week. Hugs from me! May I suggest just giving the scale a break, but not the group. What do you think? That way you don't have to worry or stress about the number on the scale while you are stressing about exams...but then you also keep us McDougallers in the back of your mind (cheering you on, of course).

Mom+Me - You can do this. :) I hope you are able to not worry about any of us (the tally) or Dr McDougall and just focus on all of the good changes you have been making. I completely understand what you are talking about when you discuss your thoughts surrounding the decision to have the avocados because you had already had the sunflower seeds. Dr Lisle, the staff psychologist here, calls it the Ego Trap. Are you familiar with Dr Lisle's work? I love this lecture Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind. For me, I used to have this repeated cycle that once I had made a less than perfect choice during any given day, the rest of that day was spoiled so I would allow myself to continue with a parade of poor choices with the intention of restarting the next day. It would work itself into a long and frustrating cycle of what I called Day 1s. Please be more forgiving of yourself. You don't have to follow the guidelines perfectly to be a good example. Just being here, trying to make it work, over and over again, in spite of setbacks is admirable. Keep at it and soon you will have more days that you are satisfied with. I also think you would enjoy The Perfect Personality, it may help you see that many of us share these "shortfalls" and will provide a new way to think about and work around them.

Dee - LOL - I love your daughter's sense of humour. If she and your son-in-law want to paint your rooms, I say rejoice! I'm still waiting for my kids to just consider cleaning their own rooms. Sigh!! I'm sorry to hear about the failed pasta experiment. Did you add back very much? What do you think happened?

Kathy - I'm sorry to hear about your ankle. Did you hurt it while hiking? Peanuts can never make it very long in my house either. I hope it heals quickly so you don't have to be off of it for much longer.
amandamechele

Postby ANNAUK » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:15 am

I lost 2lb last week and forgot to weigh in :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
ANNAUK

Postby zsilent1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am

Greetings Everyone!

I'm new here and started Mcdougalling last week. I feel so much better already. I have tried so many things.... paleo, Weston Price, keto, Atkins, medi fast and on and on. I bought a couple books by Dr Mcdougall watched some enlightening videos and I'm on the starchatarien path now. I have a lot of weight to release and plan on doing it with love and understanding. I have such a good feeling/knowingness that this is so right for me. I told my family I wish I would have known about this 20 years ago. I will be 67 in Sept. I have made some outtasite recipes that my entire family enjoys. I am happy to be here!
In Starch!
Susan
zsilent1

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:50 am

Happy Friday everyone! :-D

I'm delighted to start things off this week with a -1.0 loss.

I've been going up and down the same few pounds the past month or so -- so I'm absolutely thrilled to have finally broken through and gone consistently down past my previous low-point. I haven't changed my food but have been making changes with exercise and that seems to be working for now.

Wishing everyone a great week ahead, moving forward! :)
Qwerty988

Postby Suey51 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:09 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry to say it's a 0.2 pounds gain for me this week. I'd like to say it's extra muscle from exercising with weights recently, but truthfully, it's eating the wrong foods. I am now watching a TedX video of Doug Lisle summarising The Pleasure Trap to help me get back on track.

Best wishes to all xx
Suey51

Postby zsilent1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:50 am

Hello All,

I'm happy to report that I've lost 4#s . I am thrilled that eating lots of beans, grains, potatoes and veggies is the golden ticket. My husband and daughter are enjoying the wholesome good food too. I've got to be honest and say that I never ready thought that beans and grains would take weight off. Looking forward to an exciting journey to a healthy trim body.
Susan
zsilent1

Postby darcin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:49 am

I gained 1lb. this week. I am reading as much of the McDougall resources as I can and am a little frustrated with the somewhat contradictory advice to eat like those countries who depend on rice and potatoes. I googled those countries to see what they eat for breakfast and yes, while they do eat the rice or potatoes starches, it seems they also eat fish, meat and fried foods....can anyone help me with this? Also, should I stop eating my 1 banana a day? Maybe another fruit instead? Also, what are your thoughts on Ezekiel 4:9 bead? I've been toasting that and having all fruit jam. I'm thinking to bepreak through with this I might have to stop with the bread and banana. Any advice would be much appreciated.
darcin

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program