July 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Emily » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:13 am

Hi, everyone! I'm down 2.6.

I hope everyone has a good week.

Emily
Emily

Postby galooop » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:10 am

Gained 1.6 LBS

oops!
Too many Birthday Celebrations...
oh well, working on getting back on track now.

Best wishes to this great weigh in group!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Silver » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 am

I am down 1.6 this week.

I started exercising and am beginning to feel some improvement in my joint pain and stiffness. I'm hoping it will have some affect on my 1-year-long Plantar Fasciitis. I haven't had any problems with cravings but I am staying 100% compliant, and about 90% MWL. My downfall has always been if I let 1 bad food in. Bad food for me is a combination of fat and sugar. I'm like an addict.

It can only get better from here!

Silver
Silver

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 am

Hi All! I'm sorry I haven't posted at all this week. Wifi and our cellular service has been a bit spotty in the places that we've stayed the past few nights...just a few minutes here and there. I hope everyone had a good week!

Maddiek - I hope your tooth is healing well. :) How have your strategies been working so far, regarding trying to avoid the bread products? I wouldn't worry too much about the number of fruits right now, just work on one thing at a time. I love hearing about how much better you feel, I wish everyone could experience that feeling...then they'd get hooked on eating this way too!

Anna - I'm sorry you were feeling deflated and happy to hear that you found that IF has broken your plateau. Sometimes weight loss is very slow and even takes a break for awhile. Please always feel welcome to rant here! This is where we share this stuff, because we are all going through it too. I totally remember those no sleep years....that makes sticking to a plan very difficult, but if you just keep trying eventually it will become your default pattern. Just try not to let it make you feel bad, accept that you are doing great to be working at this consistently...even if the application is imperfect right now. Best wishes this week.

Qwerty988 - Awesome attitude! It's wonderful to hear that you're feeling great. What kind of work out have you added?

Sue - That's a good solid number, for a loss. Your week sounds a lot like mine. Luckily, this week is another chance to try again. My downfall is going to the movies and not bringing my own snacks. :(

Darcin - Your husband sounds like a great support...I agree with him. Keep at it and if you continue to have no weight loss go through what you're eating to figure out if anything is not consistent with the guidelines or maybe just too high in calorie density. Best wishes this week!

Lyndzie - Nice loss! That's great that you navigated the holiday weekend well. I haven't been to Florida in like 30 years (since I was a teen); that's too bad finding something suitable was so difficult. Was it that the people you were with just wouldn't go to a restaurant that had anything you could eat, or were the restaurants in general not being accommodating? I am sending you all my support for this coming week and you not having a kitchen. That is going to take some creativity to navigate, but I have no doubt you'll find a way. :)

Emily - Woo hoo! Great loss. Good luck in the coming week too. You're off to a great start.

Chris - Birthday celebrations? Was it yours? If so, I hope it was fantastic.

Silver - Congratulations on a great week! I understand how you feel about the addictive nature of food. Have you read, watched or listened to any of Dr Lisle's stuff? I have found it very helpful with regards to understanding my relationship with hyper-palatable food. (I see you've been around the boards for quite some time, so you've probably heard his stuff...but just incase.... ). Here is a link to the McDougall Webinar's page. It is a treasure trove of information ( from both Dr McDougall and Dr Lisle).
I had heel pain for a couple of years that made walking a bit painful and I assumed it was plantar fasciitis-meaning I never went to the doctor to check it out. Eating this way and taking off the weight has cleared it up (but I can't confirm that that's what it really was, I'm quite sure there is hope for you is all I'm trying to say in a very long winded sort of way).
amandamechele

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:14 am

Hello, All!

I was hoping to access the Board on a computer this week instead of using my phone with a fairly tiny screen, but l was unable to do so. Because of that, l apologize for not responding to the various Members + topics.

I do remember Dea + her husband, however + am hoping + praying that he is stabilized, that his stroke was mild, + that he + Dea will have a lot of good support. My ❤ goes out to you!!

Well, l had a rocky week eating-wise, so I didn't lose anything. I look forward to a good # next week, as l know it will be good--though a lot of that will be water-weight.

Hang in there, everyone! May we all remember that this is a journey with ups + downs (figuratively + literally weight-wise!). The main thing is to keep at it...even if you have to re-start multiple times. (I'm preaching to myself here, too. :wink:) This way of eating really is worth all the effort + "sacrifices". The benefits truly outweigh (no pun intended) any + all struggles!

I wish everyone a wonderful week! :-D
Mom+Me

Postby Yomom » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:01 am

No change at 150 pounds. This is a good result as yesterday morning the scale said 153 !!!
Yomom

Postby LadyM » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:58 am

Hello everyone:

Sorry to report that I am up .6 lbs. this week. :angry: I am figuring it is water weight as I have not changed my food intake. I did not add anything back in like I did 2 weeks ago with the bread. Trust me I dropped those tomato sandwiches from my menu like a hot potato. No wait I'll keep the potato. :nod:

Oh well there is always next week. Hope everyone has a great week.

LadyM
(Dee)
LadyM

Postby starbright831 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks to all who inquired about my husbands health. He is doing well. Still won't think of changing his diet,though.
I am up 2 oz.
Dea
starbright831

Postby sarabee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 am

Hello, everyone. First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who is posting on this forum. Reading your comments has been incredibly helpful to me this week. I lost 2 pounds this week, which is a real breakthrough for me. Having Amanda's personal comment last Saturday was so inspiring for me; it just made me want to jump in! I read everything she suggested and found a few points regarding procrastination that really helped: "Dial back expectations" and "make mini-goals." I ate lots of potatoes, cooked "power greens" from Costco, upped my exercise, and followed an intermittent fasting plan of 14-16 hour fasts each night. I'm ready to go again this week.
sarabee

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi Gang,
This week's numbers are in, and we are down. Thank you to everyone who weighed in and congratulations on the great effort from everyone!

Eating very simply has been an eye opening (and mind opening) experience. So many things become so much easier the more simply one eats. Here is a list of things I and others have noticed when really getting back to basics:
- Less time grocery shopping and preparing meals. Bake some potatoes, put some rice in the cooker and nuke some plain veggies and beans.
- Less cravings for other types of food (after a few days), especially if you eliminate the added salt and sugar completely (though not necessary to follow MWL).
- More ability to recognize hunger.
- More calm thoughts, less guilt and questioning about whether you ate too much. (The food is just not stimulating enough to keep going for taste alone).
- More time to do all of the things that make our lives wonderful and unique that don't centre around how much we weigh or how we look. Time to just be happy and enjoy the moments as they come.
If you are struggling to get yourself comfortable eating by the guidelines, a 5 day experiment doing a Mary's Mini or just eating very simply may be very helpful.
Here are the Mary's Mini Guidelines:
June 2006 Newsletter - Mary's Mini-McDougall Diet
July 2006 Newsletter - More on Mary's Mini-McDougall Diet
March 2016 - Mary's Mini Webinar

Best wishes to all of you for the coming week! Continue to refine your choices and figure out which foods you love and keep you fullest for the longest time. I'm willing to bet for most of us it's the good old white potato.
What is your favourite go-to starch?
(Dinner in the Rocky Mountains)
Amy XO

Here are the results for the second week in July:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, July 21st, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 504.26 pounds

July 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 44.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2017: 10.5 pounds

Week ending 07/14/2017: 15 participants reported a total loss of 1.9 pounds
---------------------------------------
Qwerty988 - 3.2
Galooop - 1.6
LadyM - 0.6
Starbright831 - 2.0
Total gains: 7.4
AnnaUK - 2.0
Suey51 - 0.6
Darcin - 0.0
Lyndzie - 0.5
Emily 2.6
Silver - 1.6
Mom+Me - 0.0
Yomom - 0.0
Sarabee - 2.0
amandamechele - 0.0
Svenja - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 9.3
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in July 2017: 10.5 pounds
Week ending 07/14/2017: 15 participants reported a total loss of 1.9 pounds
Week ending 07/07/2017: 23 participants reported a total loss of 8.6 pounds

[Edited to add a participant]
Last edited by amandamechele on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Mom+Me - This week will be great. You can do it! I agree and appreciate all of the "preaching". :) Keep restarting, its the only way to get to the next step.

Kathy - Thanks for checking in Kathy. I'm glad it was a pleasant surprise.

Dee - LOL! Yes, keep those potatoes. Next week will definitely be better. XO

Dea - I'm happy to hear your husband's recovery is going well. Remember the doctors here are just an email away if you have any specific questions. I put you down as up 2 lbs...if it really was ounces that you meant (my apologies) please let me know and I will correct it.

Sarabee - Congratulations on your loss! How awesome is that? Excellent summary of what you learned and your progress. Thank you for reading the links and sticking with it this week. Good luck this week, keep us posted.
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:54 am

Sorry!

I am late!

But I have no gain or loss ...

I hurt my knee a few weeks ago ... so I didn't bike to work and cut down on exercising.
Hope it will get better sooooon!

Have a gerat week everyone!

Blessings,
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Emily » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 am

Thank you for your support, amandamechele. :)
Emily

Postby katcrave » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi,

I missed the first couple weeks of July but I would like to weigh in each Friday. I have been to a 3 day seminar and following McDougall eating guidelines. I would like to get my weight loss going by using maximum weight loss guidelines and calorie density. :)

Thanks,

Kathy
katcrave

Postby Suey51 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks Amy, as always, for your advice and support :-) And thanks for the pic, your meal looks really delicious and what a wonderful view!

We had my step-daughter's graduation from university yesterday which was wonderful. We were away from home for a couple of days so happy to be back home now with my kitchen and garden :)

Having another go at the photo loading today..... this is a summer salad I made for lunch with veggies from the garden. I love the colour and flavour of the nasturium flowers :-)
I'm using up some old couscous which I don't think counts as a whole food, but I don't like throwing food away. Also added some tinned butter beans, which I've grown to like just as they are during the last few weeks. In the past I would have only had legumes made into a dish with other ingredients.

We have a small glut of courgette / zucchini at the allotment so I have been trying out some new recipes to use them up. Does anyone have any favourite ones?

Hope everyone is having a good week x
Suey51

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program