July 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

July 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Welcome to the July Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Summer is well under way and I am still on vacation, driving across the Midwest, on what has been a fun adventure so far. :)
Last week I challenged myself to follow the Maximum Weight Loss plan for the duration of my vacation. It's been interesting for me to see just how easy it can be while travelling, with a little diligence, planning and acceptance that you may have to sweet talk every server you meet in order to get a plain baked potato and some sort of veggies.
(Here are some of my dinners, at a fast food buffet x 2, a roadside cafe and a Kansas Steakhouse)

For our travels, we decided the family would only eat out for dinner (with an exception or two). Our breakfasts have consisted of oatmeal and fruit (either through free-hotel buffets or microwaved in our room). For lunch we eat cut fruit/veggies and pre-baked potatoes or dinner leftovers (for me) and sandwiches (everyone else) in the car.
Since my whole family doesn't follow this way of eating, at dinner we strive to find restaurants that appeal to all while still having a 100% compliant meal for me.
It has been a lesson in very simple eating. Lots of plain baked potatoes, brown rice, raw or plain steamed vegetables and fresh fruit.
We've been staying with relatives for a few days now and one of them wondered if I would have trouble continuing to eat this way over the long term because it was so "limited". Instead of trying to convince them of anything myself, I pointed them to this article from Jeff Novick Variety vs Simplicity: The Key to Success and
The Free McDougall Program Links page that highlights this concept on the Steps to Recovery page. Dr McDougall says Simplicity has great value and makes the diet easy to prepare. There is no requirement for great variety to assure nutritional adequacy. The foods are complete long before they reach the table.

Best wishes this month!
Amy XO

PS. Travelling tip: The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, CO is a beautiful place to hike!

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: July 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Mich0422 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm new here. I attended the 3 day in may of this year and have been enjoying this way of eating strictly since then. I was discouraged with the rate of my weight loss and reviewed the mwl guidelines about a week ago. So this is my first report - I lost 5lbs last week! I love this way of eating. I'll never go back to SAD!!!
My name is Michelle
Mich0422

Postby Silver » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi to Amy, Michelle and all,

I am starting McDougall again today for the umpteenth time. (Which means I've quit for the umpteenth time.) I have never tried another WOE, just gone back to a SAD vegetarian diet. Or, as my husband likes to say, a cheese-a-tarian diet. I'm tired of not feeling well. So...I weighed in today and will report next Friday. Success to us all!

Silver :)
Silver

Postby starbright831 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:47 pm

I'm in again this month. Wishing everyone a great and happy fourth!
Good luck to all.
Dea
starbright831

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:12 am

Hi all. I'd like to join this group because I keep losing and regaining the last 5 lbs. I finally bought a scale!

I'm stuck in this cycle of getting down to where I feel my best, then loosen up my diet and my pants get tight again pretty quickly. I'd like to just figure out how to get where I want to go and stay there.

This week will be tricky with the holiday and subsequent family gathering. Best to everyone celebrating the 4th!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Suey51 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:57 am

Hello everyone,

Amy - your trip looks amazing! Well done on getting those yummy looking MWL meals while travelling.

Wrote this last night, but didn't get around to posting it:

So much to be grateful for today:
- Glorious warm sunny weather. Not too hot, not too cold, just right for being outside. In Southern England, we have daylight until after 21:00 at the moment :-)
- The builders have finally finished our new patio, so we can get the garden tidied up and spend time outside again.
- Sharing a no oil/starch-based evening meal with my husband on the new patio. Eating outside is one of my favourite things :-) (He isn't following the MWL program, but has cut down on meat, dairy, processed foods etc and is eating more starches and veggies. He's happy to eat the same food when I make things like veggie and bean soups, salads, curries etc but not the simpler MWL meals.)

Here's a picture of yesterday's meal: green lentil and vegetable curry, potato and bean salad and brown rice, using lots of veggies from our garden and allotment. Cooked without oil, just a little tahini in the salad.

And today I'm grateful that I managed to figure out how to include a photo here ;)

XX
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:06 am

Happy 4th July to all who're celebrating!

xx
Suey51

Postby Emily » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 am

Hey! Long time McDougaller here. I've gotten off track a bit, plus I've always wanted to maintain a lower BMI for health. McDougalling keeps me at a healthy weight, but I'd like to be lower in the range. So I'm going to jump in here. I'll weigh myself Friday for my starting weight, and I'll chime in next week. Thanks, everyone.
Emily

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:57 am

Hello! I am brand new to the Board, but definitely not new to McDougalling (If that is a word. :?: :wink: )

I was thinking of joining in the past but two things concerned me the most: following the McDougall Program vs. MMWL + weighing myself weekly. I was happy to read that, while following the MMWL or Mary's Mini is recommended, one can "just" follow the McDougall Program. This helps in case I have some bread.

As far as the weekly weighing, I've had problems in the past where the # makes me feel that I am not doing well even though I have been 100% compliant, have felt great, + my clothes fit better. Has weekly weighing been a problem for anyone else? I'm hoping that it won't be so much of an issue since I'll have the support of the Group + also that I realize that weighing in is just part of the protocol. ....and like I say about age, it's just a # ! :wink:

Thanks, All + good luck to everyone!. By the way, my # will be 0 this week--thanks! :)

P.S. I just previewed my message but don't know why the entire text is not blue. I guess this is a good time to disclose that I am not a tech whiz. :-D
Mom+Me

Postby Maddiek » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:00 am

Is this the place to record my weight loss?I just joined the group today and will post on Friday. My husband and I have done McDougall plan off and on for a few years but 2 months ago we really made a commitment and have been doing great.I need to lose weight and this group will help me make even better choices.I tend to eat too much bread (whole grain) . I have still dropped weight and want to continue. Am feeling very motivated and feel this group will be fun!
Maddiek

Postby Doni085 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:36 am

I just found this today. I have followed a plant-based diet many times before but have always been unsuccessful losing weight and gone back to calorie counting. I think my problem has been not eating enough combined with eating oil and too many avocados. Anyway, I am looking forward to starting this plan this weekend after I return from vacation. Hoping to get the whole family on board at least for meals I cook. I had lost 70 pounds doing a low calorie diet the last few years but have gained most back this past year. I am really wanting to get healthy and if I can lose weight in the process, great!
Doni085

Postby LMZaninovich » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:49 am

Good morning,

I am new to this group, although I have been following Dr. McDougall's lifestyle for a while. However, I had not been sticking to the plan like I should have. Kept my weight from skyrocketing, but I am not where I would like to be. About 2 weeks ago, I have committed to no animal products and oil free. Posting here will be a nice addition for account ability.

See you here on Friday for weight-in day.

Laura
LMZaninovich

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Welcome to everyone who has joined today!

Maddiek wrote:Is this the place to record my weight loss?

Yes!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JodiSol » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Hello - My name is Jodi and I would like to join this group. I am new to this program and have been following MWL for about 5 days now. My goal is to lose 25 pounds. I have been a vegetarian for 4 years but just transitioned fully to the McDougall plan. I love eating these foods and it's very helpful to see photos of what other people are eating. I don't have much support for this lifestyle amongst my friends so I am looking forward to some support here.
Happy Wednesday!
Jodi
JodiSol

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Michelle - Welcome! Great first week that you are having! See you Friday for the weigh-in!

Silver - I wish you success this week and TOTALLY know what you are talking about. I have a long history of trying to get this right too. Let's keep at it and show 'me who's boss!

Dea - Thanks, I hope you had a great holiday weekend. I'm glad you're back for this month. :)

Lyndzie - Welcome to the group. I hope we can help keep you motivated to keep trying. You'll get out of that cycle, it'll just take a bit of figuring out what works for you. I find following the guidelines exactly works best...next step is just figuring out how to get oneself to do that. LOL. I'm still working on it too, but slowly it is happening. Best wishes this week.

Sue - Thanks! So far I have managed to be completely MWL this trip, with the exception of my fruit allotment. I'm still eating a bit more than recommended on many days. But, I figure, if that's the only issue I'm having, then this has been a great run, indeed. Your dinner looks delicious! How did you make the curry? I'm glad you have a beautiful spot to eat an outdoor dinner; what kinds of things are you growing in your garden? I'm also grateful you figured out the photo posting. I love to see what everyone is eating.

Emily - Thanks for joining us! I look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes.

Mom+Me - Welcome to the boards! There is so much interesting stuff on the discussion forums, even for a seasoned McDougaller. This group is happy to have all types of McDougallers, so don't worry about your bread! We are keeping the focus on MWL version because it can lead to quicker weight loss and some people (like me) just can't get down to a "normal" weight without it. So if you can have your bread and eat it too (reach your goals), then go for it. :) As for the weigh-ins, many people choose not to weigh in weekly, just monthly. I just hope you'll check in weekly on Friday...I think it helps keep engaged with the group to check in that often, even when not actually weighing yourself. I, personally, dislike weighing myself so often.

Maddiek - Yes and welcome! I hope all of the things I just said above about eating bread don't confuse you (or anyone). I can't eat bread and reach my goals either. I'm glad to hear that you have been having a great 2 months. What kinds of things are you eating now instead of bread? How did you first come to hear about Dr McDougall?

Doni085 - I'm glad you found us! We can definitely help get that weight back off. I highly recommend watching Jeff's Calorie Density video (which is in the first post I made in this thread). This is the place to be to get healthy!

Laura - I hope we can be of help with accountability for you. See you Friday!

Jodi - Happy Wednesday to you too! Yours is a common issue, regarding not having much support in real life. I felt that way too and having an online group to check in with has been very helpful. I hope we can help you reach your goal.
amandamechele

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program