June 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi All,
I'm glad to see so many of you back and checking in. Thank you! We are down again for the week, and that is great news. Keep at it!
This year my family of 6 decided to take an early summer vacation; we left on a 35 day road trip earlier this week. We are heeding Horace Greeley's call to Go West, young man.
Our jaunt from Toronto to the west coast and back will take us through 10 states and 5 provinces. We are seeing an eclectic mixture of museums and national parks, taking a big city bus tour and popping into whatever small town attraction that strikes our fancy. So far, it has been a blast! The only uncomfortable part is that I will have no access to my kitchen, chopping routines or the canned/boxed products that I am familiar with. I have to eat the MWL plan on the fly. Challenge Accepted!
I have posted this link before, but one of the best videos for how to do this is Mary McDougall's Dining Out when you Must. It comprehensively covers how to successfully eat at all types of restaurants. Another key resource for me has been Jeff Novick's Fast Food videos (some of them can be purchased here). (Jeff's tip about using microwaveable bagged brown rice has been a diet-saver, and is what I am grateful for this week!).
While searching for other tips, I came across this lovely Star McDougaller Cheryl and her story about eating this way for 10+ years with a large family, even while travelling Christensen-Alexander Families.
Cheryl's on the go tips include Putting McDougall soups in my husband’s desk drawer at work, looking for a Wendy’s not McDonald’s at an exit ramp on a car trip, buying a travel guide describing restaurant food on vacation, packing lunch for my kids, filling the back of my car with baked corn chips and rice cakes to stand in for French fries for sudden hunger pains. Cheryl's family has benefitted from following the McDougall plan and I hope that you will benefit from hearing her story.
Here are some photos of what I have been eating this week, sometimes out at a restaurant and sometimes using canned goods, bagged brown rice and a hotel microwave:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
(The last photo is my family in Iowa City - such a lovely city)
Have a great week!
Amy XO

Here are the results for the fourth week in June:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, June 30th, 2017

Total group loss reported in 2017: 481.56 pounds

June 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 41.8 pounds
Total group loss in June 2017: 32.2 pounds

Week ending 06/23/2017: 16 participants reported a total loss of 5.3 pounds
---------------------------------------
Galooop - 1.0
Yomom - 2.0
Anne57 - 1.0
Loralei - 1.7
Starbright831 - 1.0
rickfm - 4.0
Total gains: 10.7
Suey51 - 2.0
Qwerty988 - 0.0
Belcimo - 3.8
Starchyme - 1.0
BMcCloud - 0.5
Waterfit - 3.5
Verovegan - 2.0
Svenja - 2.0
LadyM - 1.2
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 16
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in June 2017: 32.2 pounds
Week ending 06/23/2017: 16 participants reported a total loss of 5.3 pounds
Week ending 06/16/2017: 12 participants reported a total loss of 3.6 pounds
Week ending 06/09/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 10.4 pounds
Week ending 06/02/2017: 19 participants reported a total loss of 12.9 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 pm

Svenja - Congratulations on so many things coming together all at once. You must be a talented juggler to keep so many balls in the air at one time. :) Best wishes for your practical exams next week. I'll add you to next week's tally as a 0 loss just to keep you on the board. Sending you a hug!

Rick - Thank you for weighing back in today. You won't regret it, because as Dee said, you can do this! Have you read the October 2006 Newsletter article Refined Carbohydrates for Food Addicts? I figure that you have, but I sometimes like to re-read things to help get myself on track and thought maybe you would enjoy this one as much as I did. I often need to remind myself why I need to stay away from certain foods because, for whatever reason, they keep trying to draw me back in. Keep up the good fight! See you next week.

Dee -I'm so happy for you and proud of you! Your dedication to yourself is such an inspiration (as are your comments). :) Thank you and have a great week, yourself.
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:42 am

@ Amy

... wwwwwwow ... what an adventure, a 35 day !!! road trip!
So cool! Hope you will have a fantastic time!
Maaaany years ago I mad a 6 week trip through Sweden and Norway! It was amazing!

And thank you so much for adding a photo of you and your family! Woww!

Yes ... I guess I am pretty busy at the moment :)
I think I might have heard the word 'crazy' here and there ... ;)

106 days until the biiiig medical exam. I have a study schedule that I try to stick to. ... still tons of work to do! I hope it will all ease up a little after (hopefully) passing the practical exam next week and starting to see my clients at the new practice ...

But managing a family of 6 is surely not boring either .... :)

Blessings and a safe trip!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby ANNAUK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:25 am

Great post Amy. We went camping this weekend and tried to do less cooking but healthy cooking. All went fine. Sometimes the hardest pArt is cooking for your family when they struggle with plain stuff. Rice cakes have been a must and fresh fruit as a sweet punch for them. I tend to do Friday night and something for fun for them and a zero fat option for me. It's cool teaching kids about a healthy food relationship. Something I wish I had had then I won't be in this place ;). Thank yo for your on going inspiration. Off to batch cook while baby sleeps xxxx
ANNAUK

Postby Yomom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:45 am

Amy, what a great post with helpful links to review. Thanks.
Wishing you a great road trip. I hope you will get in touch if you drive takes you near Denver, CO - I would love to see you -- and feed your family some delicious McDougall food.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby rickfm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:40 pm

amandamechele wrote:Rick - Thank you for weighing back in today. You won't regret it, because as Dee said, you can do this! Have you read the October 2006 Newsletter article Refined Carbohydrates for Food Addicts? I figure that you have, but I sometimes like to re-read things to help get myself on track and thought maybe you would enjoy this one as much as I did. I often need to remind myself why I need to stay away from certain foods because, for whatever reason, they keep trying to draw me back in. Keep up the good fight! See you next week.

Thank you, Amy. I'll take all the encouragement I can get.

Today's lunch.

Microwaved potatoes, simmered frozen mixed veg. Seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, and granulated garlic. Like it says in my sig, keeping it simple.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Suey51 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:27 am

Hi Amy,

Wow! Sounds like an amazing trip - hope you all have a wonderful time!

Love the pictures, particularly the one of you and the family :-) and thanks for the useful links.

Sue x
Suey51

Postby galooop » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:07 pm

" Have you read the October 2006 Newsletter article Refined Carbohydrates for Food Addicts?
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/oct/sugar.htm "

--------------------
amandamechele

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this link!
I read every word and it has really helped me understand why I've been struggling the last couple of weeks.

:-) Chris
galooop

Postby anne57 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:37 am

Happy Friday everyone! :-D

I'm up +1.0 pounds this week.

I've been busy and not eating enough veggies, filling up on white rice, and even had bread one day -- the horror! I'm fully re-committing to MWL as of yesterday, and if this extra weight doesn't slip back off this coming week, I'll do a MM with potatoes. I've been stuck at this 163-164 range for about a month now, and I've had it! Time to start moving downward again. :nod:

Thanks so much for sharing those great photos, Amy! Have a great week everyone!
Qwerty988

Postby Suey51 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:42 am

Hello everyone,

No weight loss for me this week.

Had a few difficult days, so wasn't looking forward to today's weigh in - I'll take a zero gain! Getting back on track today.

Congrats to all losers x
Suey51

Postby belcimo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 am

Up 1.2 this week; now 250.0 lbs.
I've been food journaling, and looking back, only Monday and Tuesday were fully compliant.
Heading to Baltimore for the weekend; nervous!
belcimo

Postby galooop » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:18 am

Happy to report a LOSS of 1.8 LBS -
because I was struggling for a week or two, but got back on track.

Wishing everybody a great healthy holiday weekend!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby rickfm » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:30 am

It's been a good week. I've been able to be really strict with myself.

Loss of 4.2 lbs. :mrgreen:

It always comes off quick when first getting back into this WOE.
Last edited by rickfm on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby starbright831 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 am

Wow! I'm down 3 lbs this week. That's super for me. Every pound I have ever lost was like squeezing blood from a stone. Now I'm thinking it was the bread. I love bread and ate it at every meal. I have been McDougalling for a long time (years) and exercised yet never lost any significant weight. I consoled myself with friends and doctors who told me I didn't need to lose weight but I knew better. I should have tried MWL a long time ago!
Dea
starbright831

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program