June 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

June 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 31, 2017 4:32 pm

Welcome to the June Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

While I was reading the paper on Monday I came across an interview with Facebook COO Sheryl Sandburg discussing her new book and how she has been faring since the sudden death of her husband in 2015, while on vacation. The book is entitled Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience and Finding Joy, and the way she uses the term Option B had me sit up and pay attention.
The title of your book is based on something a friend said to you in the wake of Dave's death about filling in for him on a father-child activity. You also included it in a Facebook post you wrote about a month after Dave's death. What is it about that phrase that resonates with you?

What he said to me was "Okay Dave can't be there. Option A is not available, we're going to [make the most] of Option B." Everyone is living some form of Option B. For some people it is the really big tragic stuff: For some people it's losing a job, losing a love. For some people it's a very big illness. For some people it's a knee they can't run on any more. Who knows what it is, but no one's life is perfect. And we are all living some form of Option B. That feels pretty universal.

Some of you may disagree with me, but there are days when I feel like eating this way is Option B for some of us (or maybe just me). I am pretty darn sure I wouldn't have ever heard of Dr. McDougall or this program if I hadn't been obese for most of my life, searching for a way to sustainably take the weight off. To be honest, if there was any other way to re-gain my health while losing weight that was easier I would probably take it.

However, now that I know, and have lived, the benefits of proper nutrition, McDougall Style, on my health and physique I understand that there truly is NO OTHER WAY for me and the best course of action is to accept what I need to do and just get doing it. (That's a mouthful of a run-on sentence if I ever saw one)

In the first month that I was facilitating this thread I used to include a gratitude section, where each week I would tell you all something I was grateful for. I stopped including it for no reason at all. Let's make JUNE our month of gratitude. I am going to take Sheryl's suggestion from her new book, discussed below, and remember to end my day thinking of the good things that occurred, and any of the things that I did RIGHT.
When you posted on Facebook in the month after Dave's death you wrote, 'I know that I will never feel pure joy again.' But finding joy is a major theme in your book. How did you do it?

Probably the best suggestion anyone ever made to me, which is probably the best suggestion in the book, is write down three moments of joy every night. What it makes us do is focus on them. I didn't realize until I did that, that I went to bed every night worried about what I did wrong. But I did. And now that I'm writing down three moments of joy, I notice those moments of joy along the way. It makes a really big difference and is something I really strongly recommend.

COO Sheryl Sandberg on how she found resilience and joy after loss

This week I am grateful to have all of you to talk to on the good days and the not so good days about my very favourite topic: eating potatoes!

Amy XO

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

See you all this Friday and Saturday!
amandamechele

Re: June 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby galooop » Wed May 31, 2017 4:43 pm

amandamechele

Thank you so much for moderating this discussion group -
your constant work is much appreciated!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby galooop » Wed May 31, 2017 4:52 pm

I thought I would mention something that helped me this week.
I had gotten off track and started feeling lousy again.
Then I read a great post on the "Beans Not Bambi" blog -
Three Day Recovery Plan:

http://beansnotbambi.com/three-day-recovery-plan/

I felt I could handle a 3-day commitment and after that my cravings would be easier to deal with.
I did it (Sun Mon & Tue) and it worked for me!

galooop

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 31, 2017 6:29 pm

galooop wrote:amandamechele

Thank you Chris. :o

Also, thank you for the link to Christin Bummer's blog, I look forward to reading some of it.

This thread needs a picture or two. Here is my dinner from the long weekend:
Here is my lunch from a recent plant based potluck:
* The pita is not part of the MWL guidelines (FYI)

Feel free to share your food photos as well. I'd love to see (or hear about) what everyone ate over the long weekend.
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:06 am

Thank you Amanda for your kind words every week and for mentioning "Plan B" ... There are definitly "plan B- areas" in my life.
Weight and food being one of them ...

Still ... there is so much to be thankful for!
I have a little booklet, where I write one sentence every day for the things that I am thankful for. I read through it during my 'end of the year'-reflection or when ever I need a boost :)

My weight spiked up to 247 lbs this morning ... though I've mainly been eating potatoes with salad and fruit with cereal and soy milk (no fat, whole wheat) ... no bread, no pasta, no oil, no nuts, no avocados, no sweets ...
Yes, it's the time of the month, but almost done with it ... so should be ok now ...
I am very lucky that I don't have too bad carvings but I also didn't come from SAD.
But with the disappointment in my weight gain ... things strart creeping in my mind and think of dark chocolate ....

After my first big exam on the 10th ... I will not only write my food down, but will trak the calories for a bit. I have some experience with it and I guess I am under 2000 calories. With my weight and biking to work and other exercies ... I really should lose weight. But I'll try to postpone this for the moment.
Coming back to being thankful ... all my food related illnesses have disapeared. With eating more fruit my skin is getting much better too.

See you at the Weigh In !!!
Thanks!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:40 am

galooop wrote:amandamechele

Agree! Thank you Amy for your support and encouragement, for all the inspiring links and photos, and for making this group such a safe place to fall, week after week. :)

I'm working through several B Options currently on many fronts -- creative, professional, financial. Entering a pre-retirement phase of life (or not) while ushering my son towards young-adulthood. Shocked to see him following in my footsteps, although I shouldn't be, as I made the same choice at his age by following in my father's footsteps. None of it has followed a straight line or resembles my idea of where I was going to be at 55, or where he'd be heading.... but there's a kind of perfect symmetry as everything unfolds.

With so much up in the air, it really helps to have the structure of the MWL plan in place. I've been posting my daily menus to maintain accountability day by day, which has been incredibly helpful in keeping me on track. Checking in here really helps, too, being part of the group. I've lost 20 lbs so far and I feel like I'm getting back to my truest self, a place I haven't been physically in at least five years.

So, yeah, much to be grateful for this month! :nod:
Qwerty988

Postby ANNAUK » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Do you all cut out salt? X
ANNAUK

Postby ANNAUK » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Good info on soy free options. I found this awesome as it really covers everything x
https://happyherbivore.com/2017/05/soy- ... pes-paleo/
ANNAUK

Postby starbright831 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:45 pm

I would like to join the June weigh-in group. I have been following a plant-based, SOS free way of eating, on and off for several years. I am alone in this journey and I think some accountability would be helpful. I have developed high blood pressure and losing weight is supposed to be helpful. I would like to lose about ten lbs. to start. After that, another ten lbs. and finally seven more. I'm hoping that by doing this in small steps it will keep me motivated.
Dea
starbright831

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:14 am

Happy Friday Everyone! I broke down and weighed myself this week. :)

Down -2.4 pounds total for these two weeks! Woooo hooooooo!!! :-D

ANNAUK wrote:Do you all cut out salt? X

I try to stay low-salt, but I don't cut it out completely. I use low-sodium soy sauce and no-salt-added canned tomatoes in cooking. Per Dr. McDougall's suggestion, I don't add it when cooking, I just add it to the food on my plate. Curious to see if anyone here is completely salt free.
Qwerty988

Postby Suey51 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:33 am

Hello all,

I've lost 2.4 pounds this week :-D

Definitely a week of two halves; fell off the program in the first few evenings but got back on track in the second half. It's a fascinating process; if I try to sneak in a few off-program items, amongst all the good stuff, my body and the scales find me out! Painful lessons to learn, but I'm seeing results overall so that's great.

Thanks to you Amy for all the wonderful support and resources you provide. This week I have read The Pleasure Trap and watched a couple of the videos on calorie density, emotional eating, weight loss etc. Its all helping me stick with the program, in spite of the temptations!

Best wishes to everyone.
Suey51

Postby rmartyce » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:06 am

Hi. I'm new to this group. Where do you post your starting weight?
rmartyce

Postby bmccloud » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:02 am

No change on the scales, however, I'm exchanging fat for muscle.

bmccloud

Postby galooop » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:30 am

Lost 2.4 LBS this week

Stopped snacking on pretzels - it helped get rid of some water weight.
Wishing everybody health and happiness!

galooop

Postby hazelrah » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:04 am

I'm up 1.2 (+1.2) this week. There are many reasons why; no exercise at all. I need to focus on weight loss more than I have been.
Congratulations to all you losers. I hope we all have a stellar start to June.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program