May 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

Postby cambitsgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi everyone. I had no weight loss this week. This was a difficult week for me, and I did not always make good food choices. I need to get back to exercising but it has been hard with my spouse home constantly with a back injury. I have no time to myself. Probably why I have been stressed out this week lol.
Cambitsgirl
cambitsgirl

Postby RoseKatherine » Sat May 20, 2017 6:42 am

Hi all,

I gained 0.5 this week. One day did not go well, mostly because I did not plan ahead. I should have packed some snacks to take to the seminar I attended. I didn't and succumbed to the cookies that were offered. Live and learn.

I wish everyone a good week ahead. I'm already planning my food for the Memorial Day weekend when I will be traveling.
RoseKatherine

Postby LadyM » Sat May 20, 2017 8:56 am

Good morning everyone:

I am up again this week by .6 lbs. So sorry everyone for my gain. I gained last week too so I made some changes this week. I increased my exercise, added more lower calorie veggies and went back to doing intermittent fasting.

Amy you were so kind to reply to my questions and send along links for me to watch. Thank you for being a GREAT moderator for this board. I did watch them and also used the search engine to find and read more on the set point and BMI. I wish I could afford to have a consult with Dr. Lisle. Trust me if I had the $$$ he would be the second person I would contact. Of course if I had the $$$ Dr. McDougall and the 10 day program would be my first choice. :nod:

Hope you all have a great week and let's end May with a big weight loss number. I will do my best to contribute. ;)

LadyM
(Dee)
LadyM

Postby donaldpetemc » Sat May 20, 2017 10:37 am

Loss this week: 0. (weighing monthly)
Anne

donaldpetemc

Postby amandamechele » Sat May 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi All,

As always, I'm so happy to hear from all of you this week. :) It's wonderful to see so many keep coming back. By keeping yourself engaged you will slowly work around all of the little stumbling blocks that tend to trip you up.

I'm from Canada and this weekend is our spring long weekend, celebrating Victoria Day. It can be thought of as the equivalent to Independence Day. Our historic relationship with the British Monarchy helped us maintain our national independence and so we commemorate the birthday of Queen Victoria (since 1845). We colloquially call it the May Two-Four Weekend, mostly because it has to be celebrated the Monday before Queen Victoria's birthday on the 24th, but also because it's the kick off to BBQ season and you can't show up to a BBQ without a case of beer (hence two-four).

I live in the urban jungle of downtown Toronto. Though it may seem impossible to host a BBQ in a condo with no balcony, we're going to give it a shot. (We have some shared BBQ's for our building that we can run down to for the grilling). I know many of you are celebrating similar national holidays this weekend or next weekend, so I thought I'd share what I plan on serving our guests:

Best Dang BBQ Baked Beans from Chuck Underwood
Mary McDougall's Dilled Potato Salad - I omit the radishes. (Reminder - tofu is not MWL, but I use it ocasionally)
Corn on the Cob
A green salad

Other McDougall friendly BBQ friendly choices could be coleslaw, 4 Bean Salad from Cathy Fisher, three bean salad or any type of whole grain salad (such as rainbow salad), carrot dogs (google those if you haven't heard of them), or Jeff Novick's Sweet Potato Curry Burgers and fries.

Do any of you have a favourite BBQ recipe?

Enjoy the good weather and have a lovely weekend! Best wishes for the coming week.

Amy XO

Here are the results for the third week in May:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, May 26th, 2017

May 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Weekly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss reported in 2017: 443.56 pounds
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 56.1 pounds
Total group loss in May 2017: 36.0 pounds
Week ending 05/19/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 1.6 pounds

---------------------------------------
Loralei - 1.5
RoseKatherine - 0.5
LadyM - 0.6
Total gains: 2.6
Qwerty988 - 0.2
Suey51 - 1.4
Svenja - 0.0
BMcCloud - 0.0
Galooop - 1.6
Yomom - 0.0
Hazelrah - 1.0
Anne57 - 0.0
cambitsgirl - 0.0
Donaldpetemc - 0.0
amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 4.2
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in May 2017: 36 pounds
Week ending 05/19/2017: 14 participants reported a total loss of 1.6 pounds
Week ending 05/12/2017: 17 participants reported a total loss of 5.0 pounds
Week ending 05/05/2017: 18 participants reported a total loss of 29.4 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat May 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Qwerty988 - Sounds like a plan! Best wishes this week.

Sue - I'm glad to hear you got through that small challenge splendidly. How do you make your kale chips? What are CBT exercises? Best of luck this week.

Svenja - Woohoo! That's fantastic, regarding your blood pressure. LOL... I totally get what you are saying about gaining weight while being at home. I deal with that challenge as well. It's just too easy to stop whatever you are doing and head into the kitchen. I'm sure you have a great plan for how to avoid tough situations. For me it's keeping my home as free from off plans foods as possible. I hope your studies are going well.

BMcCloud - That is the best! I hope you treat yourself to a few new clothes.

Chris - Little by little you are winning this race, like the tortoise from Aesop's Fables. That's a great allegory for the best way to lose weight.

Loralei - I'm sorry it was a hard week for you. :( You're in great shape now to get back on track. I read a nice little article from Dr. McDougall's July 2008 Newsletter that I found motivating, it's called Overcoming Four Greatest Obstacles to Following the McDougall Diet. Here's some more inspiration from a successful McDougaller: Nettie Taylor:Finally Winning the Weight Battle. I'm sending you my strength and support this week! Best wishes.

Kathy - Sure thing Kathy, enjoy your travels. :)

Mark - Disappearing pounds are way better than reappearing ones. :nod:

Anne - How wonderful that you can do this experiment and not gain anything. Have you discovered any troublesome foods?

Carol - I'm sorry to hear about your spouse, and the accompanying stress from the change. I hope you can find a new equilibrium at home soon. Will it be a long recovery?

RoseKatherine - Live and learn is right, I'm glad you're not being too hard on yourself. What are you planning to eat for Memorial Day?

Dee - I'm sorry you're up again this week. If it's any consolation, I haven't been weighing myself this past month or so because I'm pretty sure I'm up too. I've been putting off my day of reckoning (such cowardice...lol). Good for you for not burying your head in the sand and just keeping at it. I'm glad you found something helpful in the links. There are so many free resources that I'm sure we can find your answers without an appointment or 10-day program.

Anne - Thank you for checking in. Best wishes this week.
amandamechele

Easy BREAKFAST OR SNACK

Postby galooop » Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 pm

In a small microwave-safe bowl:

* Add approx. one Tablespoon of Raisins
* Sprinkle with cinnamon
* Add 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
* Pour soy milk to cover it all (plus a little extra, maybe 1/4" over the top)

Cover and let it stand for a few hours or overnight.
Remove cover and put in microwave for a few minutes to warm it up before eating.
(or put it in the fridge if saving it for the next day)

I usually eat this for breakfast, but sometimes it makes a good snack in the evening.
...especially with some chopped apple chunks added. Yum!

:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Suey51 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:39 am

Hello Amy,

Here's how I make kale chips:
Wash kale and remove stalks. Tear into large-ish pieces and gently dry with some paper towel. Lay the pieces in a single layer on greaseproof / baking paper on a baking sheet, trying to keep them separate as much as possible. Sprinkle on a little salt and bake in a hot oven until crisp (375F/170 Fan/190C/ gas 5). After the first 5 minutes, keep a careful eye on them as they do catch quite quickly. Tel them out of the oven and move them around if some are cooking quicker than others. I do them at the same time as I'm cooking a batch of jacket white or sweet potatoes to save energy.

CBT is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, a form of psychotherapy. It's based on understanding how the five aspects of environment, thoughts, feelings, behaviours and physical sensations affect one another. It teaches you specific skills that can help help overcome things like depression, anxiety, anger and low self-esteem. I used an exercise called a Thought Record to help me understand and re-frame the recent stressful experience :-) If you're interested in finding out more, there's a great book called 'Mind Over Mood; Changing How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think'' By Dennis Greenberger and Christine A Padesky.

Hope you have a better week.
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Sun May 21, 2017 6:21 am

Morning. Kinda late to the weigh-in group. But want to get started cause this past month I gained 4 lbs. Also my labs were higher.
So, I'll begin today at 118 lbs.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby RoseKatherine » Sun May 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Amandamechele,

I plan to make McDougall's BBQ Bean salad. The whole family likes it and his spicy thai noodles also a favorite. I use gluten free noodles or linguine because my daughter can't do wheat. Then steamed mini potatoes, fresh veggies and fat free hummus. I'll be staying at my ex husbands along with my daughter her husband and grandkids. My granddaughter is vegetarian and my daughter is an almost vegan.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. I'm so looking forward to getting out of town. Kathy
RoseKatherine

Postby Loralei » Sun May 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Amy wrote: Loralei - I'm sorry it was a hard week for you. :( You're in great shape now to get back on track. I read a nice little article from Dr. McDougall's July 2008 Newsletter that I found motivating, it's called Overcoming Four Greatest Obstacles to Following the McDougall Diet. Here's some more inspiration from a successful McDougaller: Nettie Taylor:Finally Winning the Weight Battle. I'm sending you my strength and support this week! Best wishes.

Thanks Amy for these links. It is very motivating to read the success stories....I don't know why I don't go searching for them on my own! That's why your support is so invaluable.

So I would like to support you and wish for you continued strength this week, as well.
Loralei

Postby anne57 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Re: Easy BREAKFAST OR SNACK

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 24, 2017 7:23 am

galooop wrote:In a small microwave-safe bowl:

* Add approx. one Tablespoon of Raisins
* Sprinkle with cinnamon
* Add 1/3 cup Rolled Oats
* Pour soy milk to cover it all (plus a little extra, maybe 1/4" over the top)

Cover and let it stand for a few hours or overnight.
Remove cover and put in microwave for a few minutes to warm it up before eating.
(or put it in the fridge if saving it for the next day)

I usually eat this for breakfast, but sometimes it makes a good snack in the evening.
...especially with some chopped apple chunks added. Yum!

:-) Chris

That sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 am

Suey51 wrote:Hello Amy,

Here's how I make kale chips:
Wash kale and remove stalks. Tear into large-ish pieces and gently dry with some paper towel. Lay the pieces in a single layer on greaseproof / baking paper on a baking sheet, trying to keep them separate as much as possible. Sprinkle on a little salt and bake in a hot oven until crisp (375F/170 Fan/190C/ gas 5). After the first 5 minutes, keep a careful eye on them as they do catch quite quickly. Tel them out of the oven and move them around if some are cooking quicker than others. I do them at the same time as I'm cooking a batch of jacket white or sweet potatoes to save energy.

CBT is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, a form of psychotherapy. It's based on understanding how the five aspects of environment, thoughts, feelings, behaviours and physical sensations affect one another. It teaches you specific skills that can help help overcome things like depression, anxiety, anger and low self-esteem. I used an exercise called a Thought Record to help me understand and re-frame the recent stressful experience :-) If you're interested in finding out more, there's a great book called 'Mind Over Mood; Changing How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think'' By Dennis Greenberger and Christine A Padesky.

Hope you have a better week.

Sue,
Thank you for the Kale chip recipe, I may try this in the future...but if I'm totally honest, I may not because kale is not my favourite of the leafy greens. I wonder if it would work with other greens? Though there may be a reason that something like bok choy chips hasn't taken off in the plant-based recipe world. :lol:
I'll take a look at the book summary, I am always up for learning more about managing the pitfalls of my personality, a big thank you for the recommend. I'm happy to hear it is working for you. Best wishes this week.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 24, 2017 7:34 am

Starchyme wrote:Morning. Kinda late to the weigh-in group. But want to get started cause this past month I gained 4 lbs. Also my labs were higher.
So, I'll begin today at 118 lbs.

Hi Starchyme,

Welcome! I hope you've had a successful week so far. :-D If you are willing, I'd love to hear about how easy or difficult you find it to switch from the regular McDougall program to MWL because you have been a McDougaller for a number of years.

Amy
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program