May 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 am

RoseKatherine wrote:Amandamechele,

I plan to make McDougall's BBQ Bean salad. The whole family likes it and his spicy thai noodles also a favorite. I use gluten free noodles or linguine because my daughter can't do wheat. Then steamed mini potatoes, fresh veggies and fat free hummus. I'll be staying at my ex husbands along with my daughter her husband and grandkids. My granddaughter is vegetarian and my daughter is an almost vegan.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. I'm so looking forward to getting out of town. Kathy

Hi Kathy - I hope the BBQ was wonderful! Mary's Thai Noodles are the best!
(I've linked the recipe, above, for anyone who wants to check it out! It's a great recipe for parties, BBQs and getting the regular eaters in our lives to try starch-based eating, but the tofu and peanut butter make it a bit calorically dense if you are trying to lose weight - I'm not addressing this comment specifically to you Kathy :) , just wanted to add it in so that people who are unfamiliar with the program, reading this, don't become confused with what the MWL guidelines are).

That's so awesome that some of your family eats similarly. I find social gatherings so much easier when I'm not the only one eating a little differently from the rest.
Best wishes for the rest of the week.
Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 24, 2017 7:43 am

Loralei wrote:Amy wrote: Loralei - I'm sorry it was a hard week for you. :( You're in great shape now to get back on track. I read a nice little article from Dr. McDougall's July 2008 Newsletter that I found motivating, it's called Overcoming Four Greatest Obstacles to Following the McDougall Diet. Here's some more inspiration from a successful McDougaller: Nettie Taylor:Finally Winning the Weight Battle. I'm sending you my strength and support this week! Best wishes.

Thanks Amy for these links. It is very motivating to read the success stories....I don't know why I don't go searching for them on my own! That's why your support is so invaluable.

So I would like to support you and wish for you continued strength this week, as well.

:o Thank you! XO
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 24, 2017 7:53 am

anne57 wrote:
amandamechele wrote:Anne - How wonderful that you can do this experiment and not gain anything. Have you discovered any troublesome foods?

Hi Amy,

I've found a couple of them (xanthan gum, vinegar) and confirmed some more that I was already pretty sure about (tomatoes and some fruits). The one I didn't expect to be so much of a problem is xanthan gum. It's in everything! Staying away from it really seems to make a difference, so it's worth it. Almost done :-D !

Hope you have a great week :) !

Anne

Hi Anne,

Fantastic news! I'd love to hear how things change for you in coming weeks once all of the things that affect you negatively have been removed. What kind of improvements are you experiencing?

I am a bit of a glutton for punishment, myself. Or maybe just a glutton for gluten...lol. I know how much better my joints feel when I avoid it, I also shed a bunch of water weight after a few days avoiding it...but it keeps finding it's way back into my mouth, hehe.

It reminds me of a line from a song that I love, Snow:
'When will I know that I really can't go to the well once more time to decide on?' (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Best wishes for the rest of the week. XO
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 24, 2017 7:57 am

Snow RHCP

This song is about drug addiction...not totally relevant here (I don't think it is inappropriate, but if so, let me know and I will remove it). I tend to equate it with my battle to keep my weight down, and I know some of you have a similar experience.
amandamechele

Postby RoseKatherine » Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 am

Amy,

The thai noodles I make are called spicy thai noodles. It's on the McDougall web site. No peanut butter, honey or peanuts. It has shredded napa cabbage and bean sprouts, and shredded carrots. It does have baked seasoned tofu but I serve it on the side. Not all my family like tofu, those who do can just add it in. I have actually made it many times and left the tofu out altogether.

I also use less noodles and about three times the amount of raw veggies called for. I served it a couple years ago to some visiting Texan meat eaters and they loved it and took the recipe home. I've made many of the website recipes and the meat eaters don't even miss the meat.

Such a great way to eat. My mother died of an M.I. and my daughter had one at age 37. My cardiologist told me that adopting this way of eating was "the single best thing" I could have done for myself. I am off three BP meds since adopting this way of eating.

Best to all,

Kathy
RoseKatherine

Postby amandamechele » Wed May 24, 2017 1:23 pm

RoseKatherine wrote:Amy,

The thai noodles I make are called spicy thai noodles. It's on the McDougall web site. No peanut butter, honey or peanuts. It has shredded napa cabbage and bean sprouts, and shredded carrots. It does have baked seasoned tofu but I serve it on the side. Not all my family like tofu, those who do can just add it in. I have actually made it many times and left the tofu out altogether.

I also use less noodles and about three times the amount of raw veggies called for. I served it a couple years ago to some visiting Texan meat eaters and they loved it and took the recipe home. I've made many of the website recipes and the meat eaters don't even miss the meat.

Such a great way to eat. My mother died of an M.I. and my daughter had one at age 37. My cardiologist told me that adopting this way of eating was "the single best thing" I could have done for myself. I am off three BP meds since adopting this way of eating.

Best to all,

Kathy

Oh yes, the recipe I posted is a different one. I make the one you are describing too....and I managed to find the proper recipe for it:
Spicy Thai Noodles.

Congratulations on getting off of your medications, that is a testament to your dedication to eating this way. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's death, and your daughter's heart troubles. Is she the near vegan you referred to in an earlier post? Is that how you came to eat this way?
amandamechele

Postby RoseKatherine » Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Amy,

My daughter who had the heart attack still eats the standard american diet, sad to say. I worry about her. It is my middle daughter who eats this way. She was completely plant based until her naturopath told her she needed to eat chicken, and she believed him. It was my granddaughter, then age 9, who announced she would not eat animals anymore so her mother and I followed suit. She is 15 now. I transitioned to vegan and then to McDougalls way.

Kathy
RoseKatherine

Postby spudlover » Thu May 25, 2017 9:05 pm

I have been following Dr McDougall's plan about 70% of the time. I have trouble staying away from fried foods, so my weigh loss is very flat. I decided to check the board today. I am happy to find this group. I'm hoping it is the kick start I need to become 100% again & continue my weight loss & improved health! I'm not sure about the weigh instructions with respect to logging my weight, but I will continue to explore.
I am looking forward to the support from this group!
spudlover

Postby ANNAUK » Fri May 26, 2017 1:30 am

No loss for me this week but went camping last weekend and had some wine so I'm happy as is . Good luck all xxxxxxxxx
ANNAUK

Postby Qwerty988 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:01 am

Happy Friday everyone! :-D

I'm weighing monthly for now, so... 0 loss for me this week.
Qwerty988

Postby Suey51 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:42 am

Hello everyone.

1.6 pounds loss for me this week :-)

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Suey51

Postby Starchyme » Fri May 26, 2017 6:16 am

So it took a few days to get in gear. But managed to lose 1/2 a pound.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby galooop » Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 am

ZERO lost this week
(weight has stayed the same)
sigh...

Everybody hang in there!
:-) Chris
galooop

Postby Loralei » Fri May 26, 2017 8:06 am

Hello everyone,
Well....that'll teach me! I gained .6 lbs this week. I just couldn't seem to stay in control this month. I'll try to stay positive and move forward (hopefully downward on the scale :)) in June. Good luck to all.
Loralei

Postby Yomom » Fri May 26, 2017 8:07 am

Loss of one pound for me. Back to 148 pounds. Hoooray.

Unfortunately back pain has kept me from being active for the past couple of weeks, and I worried that this factor, alone, would lead to weight gain. I also spent last weekend away, during which time my food choices were not ideal. However since my return home Monday I was able to slip right back into the Starch Solution groove (currently morning oats, lunch rice and dinner potatoes), and am thankful to see a slight weight loss. Yes, "it's the food".

The next thing I have to work on are my poor 4-5 PM snack choices. I will try to substitute carrots, celery & hummus for crackers, bread and Clif bars. Seeing the photos of Amy's fridge with all the neatly prepared veggies has inspired me to try harder on this front.
Yomom

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program