April 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

Postby Svenja » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:41 am

Good Morning!

I am one pound down.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby LadyM » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:36 am

Good morning everyone.

I am down .4 lbs this week. I'll take it.

This coming week will be a bit tricky for me. My birthday is on Thursday and I've been invited out to lunch and or dinner by the 3 most important people in my life, my 2 daughters and granddaughter. Trying to get everyone together at the same time is a job in itself. I figure if we can do this then I have only 1 meal out not 3. It saves my waist line and their wallets. :unibrow: I think I heard somewhere that 70 is the new 50. I have committed to living another 40 years (110) in good health, then I will reevaluate. ;-)

Hope everyone has a wonderful week and enjoys Earth Day today.

Dee
LadyM

Postby ForestGoddess » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:15 am

Still holding steady...0 gain/loss. I keep plugging away. I joined a 4 week challenge on another website (goal oriented) so I am hoping that 2nd form of accountability will help change some of the bad habits I have developed.

Have a great week all!
ForestGoddess

Postby Chelspaz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:55 am

Lost .8 lbs! Good for another not - so - compliant week. But this time the reason is good! My husband and I signed a contract on our first house! Woo! Now it's time to be frugal with money while the house is being built, so on plan I shall be. (Although my best friend and I have already planned our trip to LA VegFest next weekend... but after that, definitely on plan, affordable, home cooked meals for us!)
Chelspaz

Postby DocHCLFvegan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:32 am

I'm down 4.2 lbs this week to 213.4!

This is more in line with where I expected to be last week for my monthly weigh in, only to be greatly disappointed. I think it was due to my drift off course with Easter candy at work. My drift only worsened after my disappointing 0.6 one month loss--Friday afternoon and Saturday evening were animal product binges for me. Needless to say, McDougall's Revenge hit with a vengeance!

Then it was on clear liquids Sunday for my colonoscopy Monday (I had had a positive stool blood test last month). From there, matters only got worse. It turns out that my colon was unable to tolerate the years of abuse I put it through with my horrible diet and 3 years of trying to fix that diet was not enough to reverse the damage. They found a colon mass and 3 polyps. At least the polyps are benign!

So; I today was my last "official" weigh in for this phase of MMWL. Although I will be trying to follow McDougall preop and postop, I'm not going to worry about MMWL again until I have fully recovered. If I still want to do MMWL at that point, I will rejoin you at a new starting weight.

Steve
DocHCLFvegan

Postby Polly » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:22 am

Down 1.6. People are beginning to notice I'm losing weight.

Polly
Polly

Postby amandamechele » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Hello All,

Another week is done and I'm thrilled to have you all here with us, whether you're participating or as a spectator. I'm really beginning to feel like we're a team. Our roster may change from week to week, but the game stays the same. Our plays maybe individual, but we celebrate the good ones together. When we lose, we win!
I wanted to celebrate one of the past coaches of this team by sharing some of her words of wisdom with all of you. While I was reading through some of the past MWL threads and saw many familiar usernames, I realized just how experienced some of you are at this game. I am in awe of your determination and dedication to your health! You are in my thoughts this week. Be strong! (To continue last week's thought - This group really is like an Okinawan Moai, many of you have been supporting each other for a very long time.)
The past coach I am referring to is the previous facilitator of this thread, Debbie. I really like her idea of taking April as the month to refocus on your goals. I am going to reflect on why I continue to stumble on the transition from the regular to MWL program. That was and is my ultimate goal for this year (if some weight loss happens too, well, all the better :) ) Here are a couple of her inspiring April posts to get us through this next week:

April 2013
Debbie wrote:Welcome to April!! 3 months of this year are already gone. How are you getting along on the goals set in the new year? Let's make progress on our health goals in April.

Maybe taking a moment and relisting goals set in Januare and checking to see where we are is a good idea, before too many months pass us by and its the fall holidays again.

Maybe you found a couple that could be added. Maybe you even accomplished one or two. Maybe one or two were forgotten about or set on a back burner.

There are 9 months left to 2013. Its never too late to be looking at what our goals could be for 2014. Because as we all know, the days, weeks, and months fly by before we even realize it.

April 2014
Debbie wrote:Here we are at month 4! The month where excuses usually start in. First it's Easter, then a whole slew of "friends" pile up and before you know it, April is over and done with and we ain't got nothing to show for it.

So I named this months thread the No Excuses Month!!! Everyone has done so incredibly awesome this year. We've got some huge losses going on. I am happy I changed the way the tally is run. In some small way, I think it motivated all of us to try much harder to not have gains. But even if there were a gain, because it's removed from the tally right away, your loss counts the very next weigh in! Very motivating I think.

For me personally, I feel like I have this thing down now. Finally. But it also seems like a lot of us who've been around for a while have this thing down now. Some just do it right right off the bat. Some sputter along the way for a while. Then yet others, like me, do great then get so far off course, that it takes a while to find the path again and then find that path has different pot holes than before. It takes a lot to figure out the pot holes are not the same. But I believe we will all get there.

So, let's hear it for a great month of NO EXCUSES!!! We can do it and all have a great time too. Bring on April.

I'll touch base with you all tomorrow! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Amy :)

PS. Speaking of last week's post (above), I watched Hacksaw Ridge tonight. It's the biography of WWII medic Desmond Doss. He was a Seventh Day Adventist (which is another Blue Zones group and how this tangent relates to last week's post) and as such was a conscientious objector (and vegetarian) during wartime. Facing great personal adversity from his regiment and COs due to his decision not to kill, he stood his ground to honour his values. That same grit is the reason many of them made it out of the Battle of Okinawa alive. His integrity of character is inspiring. It was a great movie, if you can handle visually graphic wartime images.

Here are the results for the third week in April:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, April 28th, 2017

April 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Weekly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss reported in 2017: 410.26 pounds
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 111.3 pounds
Total group loss in April 2017: 58.8 pounds
Week ending 04/21/2017: 19 participants reported a total loss of 19.4 pounds

---------------------------------------
BMcCloud - 1.0
hazelrah - 1.2
Anne57 - 0.8
Total gains: 3.0
jessbee - 4.0
Qwerty988 - 0.6
Corky - 2.0
galooop - 0.6
LeslieD - 2.0
cambitsgirl - 3.2
Loralei - 0.0
Svenja - 1.0
LadyM - 0.4
ForestGoddess -0.0
Chelspaz - 0.8
DocHCLFvegan - 4.2
Polly - 1.6
amandamechele - 0.0
amw71 - 1.2
Kirstykay - 0.8
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 22.4
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in April 2017: 58.8 pounds
Week ending 04/21/2017: 19 participants reported a total loss of 19.4 pounds
Week ending 04/14/2017: 25 participants reported a total loss of 22.4 pounds
Week ending 04/07/2017: 29 participants reported a total loss of 17.0 pounds

(Edited to add a participant and correct an error)
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby amw71 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 am

Sorry I forgot to post yesterday...especially because I was down 1.2.

I met with an exercise physiologist this week and have developed a workout plan to help ease me into exercising again (it's been awhile). I'm hoping that, coupled with my dietary, changes will jumpstart my weight loss and get me moving in the direction of better health.

Have a great week everyone!
amw71

Postby amandamechele » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 pm

jessbee - :) Glad you're back. Best wishes this coming week.

Qwerty988 - Happy Sunday to you. I'm happy to see that you are making steady progress.

Corky - Happy Sunday to you too! Though by the time I'm finished typing it may be Monday...lol... I hope that's happy too. Good loss this week!

BMcCloud - Happens to the best of us. Best wishes for the coming week.

Chris - Great work and congratulations! Only 5 more pounds to go, that is so exciting for you and hopefully keeps you very motivated (not that that has ever been a problem for you...lol). It's also wonderful to hear about the reversal of some of your health issues. When you reach your goals, if you are interested, I recommend posting about your success in the Testimonials and Success Stories Forum. It is very inspiring for others to hear about how well others, like yourself, have done. You've got a great couple of strategies for getting through social situations, thank you for sharing them.

Loralei - My thoughts are with you as you climb your way out of the pleasure trap this week. You can do it! Dr. Lisle has said it is mainly 3-4 days of discomfort with craving until they loosen their grasp enough to be more comfortably manageable.

Anne - No worries Anne, we know how it goes. It can be a great eye opener that little things have slipped in (or out, with regards to activity). I wish you a good week as well!

Kirsty :( Let us know if we can help in any way. Sending you warm thoughts of support.

Svenja - Awesome...1 more!

Dee - LOL, you are the best! Happy Birthday this week! I love your thinking on saving money, your waistline and the new way we should all be aging. I'll say it again: Happy Birthday for Thursday, enjoy your meal(s) with your family. :)

ForestGoddess - I hope it helps, I'm all about multiple sources of support. I joined a 4 weeks challenge this past week as well. I wonder if it is the same one?

Mark - I'm sorry that this month has been terrible, but you've done great in your compliance this week, so there's a bright spot. It sounds like your new work schedule and difference in exercise is causing a disturbance in your previous equilibrium. I'm sure it will work itself out in the next little while and then you can decide if you want to change anything once it stabilizes again. It will definitely turn around!

Leslie - Thank you and congratulations on your success so far. The evenings can be really tough (I'm currently eating grapes and Chana masala at 11pm while I type this - my 7pm hardstop is a fail tonight! ) It sounds like you have a great strategy! Avoid that kitchen.

Cambitsgirl - I'm glad you remembered to log in with us this week. Don't sweat Thursday. Just keep doing your best. :) Is this your regular schedule or just some overtime? It sounds busy! When I used to work, we had a 4 day on/off schedule with 2 12 hour days followed by 2 12 hour nights. I never got used to the night shift in the whole 10 years I was there.

Chelsea - Woo hoo! Congratulations, that is so exciting for you. How long is the building process? Affordable homeschooled meals is definitely the way to go, but also enjoy Vegfest! At our Veg Food Fest, here in Toronto, I was able to 3 a couple of compliant things to eat (not saying this is your plan, or that it should be). There was a BBQ corn stand, a Boone Burger stand (hold the bun) and a presenter that handed out homemade Onigiri (Japanese rice balls with a filling). I hope you and your friend have a blast!

Steve - I'm sorry to hear that you will no longer be weighing in with us, but I completely understand. I hope the next steps in your treatment go well and that you will consider trying your best to eat as well as you feel you can. It can be of great benefit.
I will leave you with a couple of Dr McDougall's write ups on polyps and the colon, best wishes and please come back and visit when you feel able. :)
Colon Polyps, December 2002 Newsletter Article, July 2016 Newsletter Article.

Polly - Isn't that the best feeling ever! I'm glad to hear that your effort and dedication are not going unnoticed. Congratulations!

amw71 - No worries, I'm glad you are still plugging away. I think you have a solid plan and it will definitely lead you to better health and happiness! Best wishes for this week.
amandamechele

Postby kirstykay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi Amy, just checking in to see how everyone did this week, and I noticed that you left me out of the totals. I posted on Friday that I lost .8 -- I'm sure it was just and oversight...Thanks for all you do!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby amandamechele » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 pm

kirstykay wrote:Hi Amy, just checking in to see how everyone did this week, and I noticed that you left me out of the totals. I posted on Friday that I lost .8 -- I'm sure it was just and oversight...Thanks for all you do!

That was an error, my apologies Kirsty! I have added you in.
amandamechele

Postby Chelspaz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:26 am

amandamechele wrote:Chelsea - Woo hoo! Congratulations, that is so exciting for you. How long is the building process? Affordable homeschooled meals is definitely the way to go, but also enjoy Vegfest! At our Veg Food Fest, here in Toronto, I was able to 3 a couple of compliant things to eat (not saying this is your plan, or that it should be). There was a BBQ corn stand, a Boone Burger stand (hold the bun) and a presenter that handed out homemade Onigiri (Japanese rice balls with a filling). I hope you and your friend have a blast!

Thank you!! Our lots don't even have addresses yet, so it's hard to say just how long it may take since they can't break ground until they get addresses (I was told yesterday that they should have addresses within the next 2 weeks). But when writing our contract, we were able to put our "at-the-latest" closing date as October 1st. We were told it will most likely be sooner than that, though. That's really great you found compliant foods at your local VegFest. I don't think I'm going to be on plan in LA, just to be super honest haha. We're staying Thursday through Monday, so aside from VegFest, we'll be trying a lot of other vegan restaurants in the area...so a relaxed and fun time we'll have! 2 more days!! :D
Chelspaz

Postby kirstykay » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks, Amy! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby cambitsgirl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Cambitsgirl - I'm glad you remembered to log in with us this week. Don't sweat Thursday. Just keep doing your best. :) Is this your regular schedule or just some overtime? It sounds busy! When I used to work, we had a 4 day on/off schedule with 2 12 hour days followed by 2 12 hour nights. I never got used to the night shift in the whole 10 years I was there.

My schedule varies. I work 32 hour work week Monday through Thursday, eight hours each day. I work for a local hotel as a front desk clerk. Then I volunteer as an EMT for 3 fire departments and I do overnight shifts with the Medic Unit and the Fire Department., We respond to all 911 calls while on duty at the station. The rest of the week I respond to calls as I am available. Right now I am working 2 days a week with the Medic Unit. It goes to once a week next month and then I can do one overnight shift with the fire department.

I have been working on my eating and adding exercise too. I am eating kale first thing in the morning, and then balance the rest of my meals with starch and vegetables. My weight goes up and down. I was frustrated this morning when I got on the scale and it showed me ten pounds down. My body does this about once a month. It will jump back up and then slowly come back down. It's like the scale is teasing me! All I can think about is what will it say tomorrow lol.
Cambitsgirl
cambitsgirl

Postby ANNAUK » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Sorry I missed posting last week. It's been a tough time lately seem to have been ill on and off for about two months now and its hard to stay on track. Feeling motivated but exhausted with two little ones as well. Really trying to keep up my daily yoga as it keeps me positive motivated focused and clear headed. Any one else here who enjoys yoga??? Really feeling a strength for. My practice. I'm just a beginner really but none of that matters when its just you and your mat.
X
ANNAUK

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program