April 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

April 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

Postby amandamechele » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Welcome to the April Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program:The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resourcesand his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

I thought it would be nice to have this month's focus be on new beginnings and fresh starts. I have personally been struggling with compliance to certain aspects of this program and have been working hard to figure out what my triggers are and what strategies work to get me through a period of cravings or feelings of discouragement. If you have tried and true strategies, many of us would love to hear them!
It can be a real benefit to go over material that you think you are already familiar with. Refresh and reflect. So please take a look at the above links and all of the wonderful newsletters, articles and success stories available on the website.
Anyone who has been lurking or struggling, come on back! You don't have to do this alone. Come on guys, we've got this!

See you all this Friday and Saturday! (Weigh In on Friday April 7th or Saturday April 8th)

Amy

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: April 2017 McDougall Weigh-In Group

Postby galooop » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:49 am

hi -
When I'm hungry, I don't want to spend a lot of time preparing food -
One strategy that works for me is:
Making sure I have the NEXT MEAL Ready to Go
(so I can heat it up in 5 or 10 minutes and eat).

For Example - I get breakfast ready In the evening:
I put some raisins in a little bowl
sprinkle cinammon on them
add 1/3 cup oatmeal
and pour in some soy milk to soak overnight.

In the morning:
I just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes,
and (yum!) breakfast is ready.

After breakfast, I make sure I have something pre-prepared for Lunch, and so on...

:-) Chris
galooop

Postby LadyM » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi Galooop:
I do something similar to you. When I get up in the morning I write out what I will eat for the day and pretty much stick to it. I am retired so if I need something at the store I can just go get it. Also, if something needs to be cooked I get it done early so it's ready. I could eat the same things every day and be perfectly happy. I live alone which makes this very easy. No one else to worry about or cook for.

Amanda:
Thank you for commenting on my non scale surprise. You asked how long I have been McDougalling so here goes.

In 2010 I quit smoking after 50 years, ugh. We all know what happens then, the pounds start coming on. I watched a documentary Food Inc. that made me start searching for a vegan diet. I was very lucky to come upon Dr. McDougall and this web site and started my journey on April 28th, 2010 (the day after my birthday). All good dieters know that you have to have a big last meal. :oops:

I tried to jump in with both feet but that did not work for me so I then started by giving up meat. Then dairy and oils. Next soda and coffee. My last hurdle was going out to eat. I was going 2 to 3 times per week and am now down to once a month. This past year I have been 100% WFPB no SOS. I never really gave up and when I fell down I got right back up and on plan.

This WOE is easy but the learning curve can be very steep. My all time high weight was 230 lbs. but I started here at 192 lbs. I'm now at 131 lbs.. My weight loss has always been VERY slow. I don't have any aliments and take only B12. I'll be 70 years young at the end of this month and I think I'm doing pretty good.

Sorry this was so long. Have a great week everyone.

Dee
LadyM

Postby ANNAUK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Bring on the April fat loss!!!!! Yeah x
ANNAUK

Postby anne57 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby squealcat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:35 am

I have been viewing this discussion board for YEARS ! I successfully followed the program last fall for over 2 months and lost about 15 pounds and then fell off. Anyway, I would like to join this weigh-in group and get serious once again. I welcome any help and comments and hope to be a good contributer. First weigh-in Friday.......here I come !
squealcat

Postby LvMe35 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:50 am

I'm new here! I've been reading up on this lifestyle for a few months now and making small changes before I made the plunge. Looking forward to having support and motivation.
LvMe35

Postby sirdle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:30 am

Welcome LvMe35 and squealcat!

Hope you have a successful journey!

If you have any questions, don't be shy! We don't bite...

... much.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby JNo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:51 am

Hello! I'm new to this group/forum and hope I am doing this right...
I have been following this program for a month now and have lost 8 lbs. I know this doesn't count and I'm starting at 0. i just wanted to share my progress in general
I will weigh in on Friday and post my progress.
JNo

Postby anne57 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:16 am

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby kirstykay » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:37 pm

HI Everyone!
It's so fun to see all the new members! I love this group, and give a lot of credit to you, Amy! You do such a great job facilitating. Thanks. It is no small thing to keep up with all of us while being on your own journey as well. I really admire you.

LadyM, Thanks for sharing your story! I'm so impressed that you have lost so much weight and stuck with this WOE even though it was tough. You persisted, and now you are unlike your peers who are mostly medicated and spending their retirement years in doctor's offices. I want to be like you when I grow up! LOL! :lol: The thing is, I was around here way back in 2010, and although I lost 100 pounds over about 3 years, I didn't stick with it and allowed 60 pounds to creep back on. It was hard to lose and so easy to find again. I'm very impressed that you have just kept at it. Thanks for sharing your strategies. I'm so interested in the different ways everyone makes this work!

Galoop and Anne, thanks for sharing your "tips and tricks" for making this WOE simple! I'm loving all of the ideas.

I think for this week, I'm going to try to stick with mostly soups. They fill me up, are easy to prepare in large amounts, can offer enough variety, and are low in calorie density (and it's still freezing in NE Wisconsin, so I'm not tired of them yet). I'm wanting my weight loss to go a little faster, and I think this might help. Happy April, everyone!! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby galooop » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 am

LadyM - thanks for the tips!
It was very inspirational reading your post, because I will be 70 soon, too.

:-) Chris

PS I also want to thank amandamechele for all the work you do on this forum.
Much appreciated!
galooop

Postby LeslieD » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:05 pm

Fabulous idea for a weigh in group. I am a newbee and just getting started. I have been eating plant based for 4 years but have been a vegan junk foodie. Reading all the posts and learning alot. Thank you because this weigh in will give me needed motivation and inspiration. :D
LeslieD

Postby anne57 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:24 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby Ninalemon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:02 pm

I would like to join this, several years ago I lost 80 lbs following Dr Furhman. Over the past two years I have gained back 50 (stress, injury, surgery, it has been a crazy few years).. I have been trying to get back in track and cannot seem to find my focus. I think this will be a good tool to keep my goals in the front of my mind.
Ninalemon

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program