March 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: March 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Polly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Congratulations Landog. What a great milestone!

I'm down 1.8 this week, putting me back into the 180's. I'm so glad. I love the food and that I don't have to be hungry and thinking about food all the time. I'm making SNAP meals and have learned better how to season them so they're really tasty. I also enjoy my raw crunchies: carrots and celery this week. I also really appreciate the support on this thread. I don't know any McDougallers where I live, so it's so helpful to come to the Discussion Board, especially this thread.

Polly
Polly

Postby veganjenn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Down 3 pounds this week!
I was a little nervous because I am traveling for work this week... but sticking to the program worked!
Back to exercise routine next week :-)

veganjenn

Postby donaldpetemc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Loss for this week: 0. (Weighing monthly)
Anne

donaldpetemc

Postby Loralei » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm down .3 lb this week. Slowly but surely....I'll take it! I try to remind myself that it's the road to good health and not how quickly the weight comes off.

Take care all and have a good week!
Loralei

Postby jujubear » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Hey everyone.

I was very surprised to see a loss this week. I am down 1 lbs so now at 158 lbs. I've been struggling with emotional eating these past few days... I included some exercise this week, doing 3 days of strength training with a little cardio. I think that helped with my stress but it also increased my appetite.

Congrats to everyone who had a loss this week! And even if you didn't, you are doing great for keeping yourself accountable !
jujubear

Postby amandamechele » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi Everyone! It's great to see so many of you checking in today.

I'm not going to be posting my weight for a couple of weeks because I'm spending some time at True North and fasting, so my weight may go down a little faster than usual (but I'm told much of it will return once I'm refeeding) and I don't want that to impact our weekly numbers, and most importantly, I want to keep this thread dedicated to the McDougall program, the MWL and Mary's Mini. I will, of course, continue to facilitate this group (because I don't want to miss out on even a minute of all of your progress and adventures in discovering the amazing benefits of eating this way). I do want to share a bit about what Mom and I are doing, however, so I've posted it in my journal. Feel free to check it out (or not). :)

jessbee - Don't sweat it, you've got some great strategy ideas for next week. You can do it! Do you keep a personal journal, or one here on the McDougall forum?

Qwerty988 - I know how that feels (see above...lol). You're still losing so be very proud of your efforts. If you think you should be losing faster, try to think of where you can lower your calorie density, but not the amount of food you're eating. Best wishes this week.

Anna - My cycle does the exact same thing (X3). That is probably all it is. No worries.

landog - I am sooooo excited for you!!! That is a big mental and physical barrier to cross. I also love your consistently positive attitude. Thank you for cheering us all on!

ForestGoddess - Yay to a successful week. It looks like tracking is working for you. 10 more pounds.... you've got this!

Steve - Good plan, I do that too periodically. The fact that your mood is possibly being affected by the number on a scale indicates it's time to do less of that. I appreciate you checking in on Weigh-in day, that way I can keep you the list and will just put a 0 beside your name. I'll keep doing that every time you check in until you actually do weigh yourself. Dr Lisle would be so proud that you're sticking to your starch targets.

Carol - Great loss this week! Best wishes for your busy training weekend. Do you have a large cooler bag? There are so many portable items, like cooked baby potatoes, fruit, chopped veg, hummus. You could also bring a couple of thermoses of soup, stew, brown rice, etc.

BMcCloud - It sounds like you will do better next week with all of your thoughtful reviewing. (And I love the beautiful setup and flow of your post). :)

Chris - I'm delighted too! Best wishes this week.

kirstykay - Consistent progress feel great! Congratulations on the loss and the dedication to keep learning and tweaking and trying to get it working for you. XO

Cebo - Wonderful loss this week. I'm glad you are creating some cooking and planning habits that will keep you being successful. Once you hit that plateau and are ready to remove one of those items, my first choice would be the Vegan mayo, it's very very high in fat (but that's just me). Best wishes this week!

Kathy - I hope you feel better soon. It sucks to be sick. Hope hubby is taking good care of you!

Makepeasnotwar - Oh no, you're sick too! I hope you also feel better soon.

Mark - Awesome progress! November is a tough month. Best wishes this week.

Anne (anne57 - That's wonderful advice, keep things in perspective. I do something similar, in that, I work very hard to keep my expectations of an outcome as modest as I can. That way it 's much easier to surpass them and be motivated than to disappoint them and be, well, disappointed. I wish you a happy and successful week as well!

Polly - Woo hoo! New decade celebration dance! I love Jeff Novick's SNAP meals. Here is a handout from a 10-Day program for anyone unfamiliar with Jeff's Fast Food Basics. I just watched Fast Food: Beyond the Basics the other night, for the first time. I can't wait to make his Gypsy Soup.

Jenn - That's a spectacular loss considering your BMI. Way to work the program!

Anne (donaldpetemc) - Thank you for checking in, best wishes this week.

Loralei - Good attitude, you speak the truth here. This is the road to good health and some people just have a longer journey.

jujubear - I'm happy to see you are making progress. Just in case you haven't seen these, here are a few resources on emotional eating from Dr Lisle, the McDougall staff psychologist:
How to Lose Weight without Losing Your Mind
Food Addiction, Emotional Eating and Weight Loss (Part 1)
Food Addiction, Emotional Eating and Weight Loss (Part 2)
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby Heyer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:27 am

Gained 0.4 - but I know why. I had to work long hours and had to improvise my meals a lot.
I hope next week will be better.
Heyer

Postby Svenja » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:18 am

Good Morning!

I gained one pound, so back to 242 lbs.
It's kind of strange ... because this morning it's two pounds more than yesterday ... well, my food was pretty good yesterday and I skipped on all the goodies offered to me in a meeting last night. So I am not too concerned.

but in a veeeery positive note:
Been one week on half my blood pressure medication and been very happy with keeping track of the level. So today is the second day on NO medication. I am so excited to have cut this poison out of my life!!! Hope levels rise not too much and eventually come down to healthy!.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Svenja.
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby Chelspaz » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:17 am

Lost 2.2 lbs! :D
Chelspaz

Postby Jeepsterhound » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:46 am

I lost 1 pound!
Jeepsterhound

Postby HappyGardener » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 am

This week I'm down 1.5 lbs! This week was better than last. I'm am keeping myself submerged in this lifestyle so as soon as I start to consider a junk food item I am easier to refocus on the plan.
HappyGardener

Postby LadyM » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:28 am

Hello

I am sorry to report that I am up 1.4 lbs. from last week. :(

Amy, I read your journal post about True North and the 5 lb. up and down, up and down journey. I am doing the same thing and it has been going on for 4 months now. I am doing the MWL and keeping a food diary (even the not so good choices) to see if I can figure out what it is I need to change. I just want to lose these 5 lbs. to reach another personal mile stone I have set for myself on this journey.

I figure it this way my body one day will say "Okay I have fought with you over these 5 lbs. long enough. You win! Here's your weight loss and an extra pound just because I like you." :D Victory will be mine.

Have a great week everyone!

Dee
LadyM

Postby ForestGoddess » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Confession time - I have been feeling good about my weight loss...but I also feel bad because I have been losing in spite of the fact that I have been making less than stellar choices. I am still stuck in a lot of pleasure traps. I am not even close to 100% MWL. I have noticed some trends by logging on MFP. Like I take in too much sugar and fat. I need to figure out some alternative compliant foods that I can have on hand to get me over the pleasure trap hurdles that come up. My family still eats SAD so I still cook SAD and can't get rid of all non compliant food like some can. I have to figure out ways to cope that do not include falling into processed food-land. Most of the bad fod I have been resorting too doesn't even taste very good...but I eat it anyway. I know I can do this because I have done far harder things in my life, I am just not happy with how long it is taking to make these changes.

Okay I just had to get that out of my head...goal for next week 100% MWL, and keep tracking.
ForestGoddess

Postby landog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 pm

ForestGoddess wrote:Confession time....

While it's confession time...

Things that stall me:

- bread

It's high in calorie density. I have been known to eat it toasted with fruit spread (jelly). I can eat a lot of it.
(In my SAD days, I used to say that toast was my favorite food.)

- beer or wine

It's not just the wine, but the high calorie dense foods that I would eat with it.

- eating out

The favorite neighborhood Italian joint has whole wheat linguni noodles. But the sauce? (and the bread)

- feeling like I deserve a treat (whick may be any one of the above) because I've been doing so well lately.

When you are honest with yourself and see how true to MWL you are (or are not), you can identify the things that stall your progress.
Once identified, you can make plans for how to deal with them.

So, the calorie density chart goes next to the toaster.
Staying away from the beer/wine.
Pass up the italian joint and go to the place with the baked potatoes and steamed veggies.
Realize that yes, I'm doing well and want to continue to do so.
Say to myself: "Remember - MWL works, so follow the plan!"

Know your enemies!

landog

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello Gang!

The week's results are in and we didn't do half bad. :) Where we really excelled was in communication and support. I don't know about you, but I'm feeling the love this week!

I just bought the book Sugar, Salt and Fat, by Michael Moss. Have any of you read it?
In Dr. McDougall's words this book explains how normal unregulated business practices underlie the current epidemics of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes in the US. Here is what he has to say about it.

I haven't started it yet, but I intend to soon because I just watched the new documentary What the Health and it appears to be similar in content; but instead of industry corruption, it's leading health organizations; I really enjoyed the documentary.
Here is a link to the trailer.
PS. Dr McDougall is in it!!
Have a lovely week everyone!

Amy

Here are the results for the fourth week in March:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, March 31st 2017

March 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Weekly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss reported in 2017: 340.76 pounds
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Total group loss in March 2017: 100.6 pounds
Week ending 03/24/2017: 26 participants reported a total loss of 20.8 pounds