February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby landog » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:22 pm

MariaW wrote:Hoping this is the right place to be for the MWLP weigh in. Found the link on facebook, and would love to be a part of this group. Need it badly! Terrible on trying to navigate the site, so would appreciate any guidance if I'm in the wrong place. thanks.

Welcome to the group, MariaW!
If you have any questions, please let us know.
landog

Postby amandamechele » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:02 am

Hi All!

I hope everyone had a great weekend. We had an extra long one where I live, so my regular week is just beginning today.
On Sunday I went to the local "Starch Solution" potluck. This month was a small gathering, which I loved because that meant I had a chance to sit and talk with almost all of the people who came out. I enjoyed myself so much that I forgot to take a thousand photos.
One of the photos I did manage to take was of a delicious lentil dish, and it's from The Starch Solution. I'm going to make it this week, for sure. We ate it with rice (which would work with MWL guidelines), but you could just as easily serve it on whole wheat buns to the kids.(Terrible photo, delicious recipe!)

I found the recipe for it, Sloppy Lentil Joes, on the new and improved recipe section of this website.
Here is a link to all of the searchable recipes on the website. It is a huge list! I hope you have as much fun exploring it as I have. :-D

Do you all have a favourite go-to stew or soup recipe?
amandamechele

Postby Dave Dardinger » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:17 pm

My favorite is the Mexi Soup from the quick and easy cookbook (and probably other places.) It is indeed quick and easy and with little clean-up necessary. Tastes great and more filling, you might say.
I'm just here for the food.

Dave Dardinger

Postby landog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 pm

My favorite soup is potato soup.
Especially on a cold, winter day (remember them??)

I don't have a recipe - my wife just throws soups together.
landog

Postby amandamechele » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Dave - Sounds delicious. I'll take a look and see if I can find the recipe. I'm always on the lookout for another great soup.

Landog - I wish I was as talented as your wife. I must rely totally on recipes as I have no natural sense of spice or flavour combinations.

I did make a delicious potato vegetable soup today from Chuck Underwood's Brand New Vegan blog.
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
It was quite yummy! I had 3 bowls for dinner.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Landog - No! I don't wish to remember. I hope this unseasonably warm weather continues. We have gone up as high as 17 C where I live. My kids have been grumbling about having to wear their coats to school. The average temperature for this time of year is -2 C.
amandamechele

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:07 am

My most-made recipe is this dal with spinach and tomatoes: http://flavorrd.com/2015/05/instant-pot ... inach-dal/

My son practically lives on this! I just leave out the oil and sub a can of fire-roasted tomatoes for the fresh (makes it extra tasty) and dump everything in the Instant Pot, no saute first. Comes out perfect every time in just 20 minutes :D

(I took a picture of the batch I made yesterday but can't figure out how to post it here!)
Qwerty988

Postby sirdle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:51 am

amandamechele wrote:Landog - I wish I was as talented as your wife. I must rely totally on recipes as I have no natural sense of spice or flavour combinations.

Me too! Wouldn't it be nice to just look in the coolerator... see what's on hand... and whip something up? :)
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Bruceshay1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been practicing the McDougall Plan since about May of 2016. I found Dr. McDougall while reading the China Study. From May of 2016 to now, I have lost 20lbs, lowered my total cholesterol from 226 to 190, my BUN(protein level), dropped from 22.8 to 10.6, and A1C from 6.2% to 5.7%.

I am now ready to implement the MWL program. My overall goal is to get the cholesterol below 180 and as close to 150 as well see further drop in A1C by my July 17, 2017 appointment with my lifestyle management MD. It seems that losing additional weight through the MWL program will accomplish that.

My food plan for the next 10 days is below and I will check in with a new post on Friday with my starting weight.

Breakfast: Steel Cut Oats with Honey. Assorted fruits equivalent to two servings a day

Lunch/Dinner: Potatoes with a sauteed mixture of yellow onions, yellow peppers, green zucchini, yellow squash, assorted hot peppers and garlic. The saute follows the Mary McDougall method using water and some vegan Worcestershire sauce. Assorted leafy greens with diced peppers and green onions using a home made Hemp Seed Ranch oil free dressing.

Snacks(Grazing): Raw peppers and broccoli and the hemp seed dressing for dunking.

My exercise routine will consist of push ups and sit ups three days a week and 3 to 5 mile jog 3 to 5 days a week. Hopefully some hiking on the weekends.
Bruceshay1

Postby Adelaidelady » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 pm

amandamechele wrote:
Adelaidelady wrote:I weighed myself this morning and I am 62.7! Its happening... Hopefully this downward trend continues. Tonight was a night off the diet as we had vegan pizzas. We had flat bread but ... I overate and ate some dark chocolate.

Back on track in the morning. :) Good luck everyone.

I'm happy to see you're doing so well! I'm back on track with you. Best wishes this week.

Thank you , I'm seeing a lower number on my scales each week and I think I've cracked the weight loss code! :-D
Adelaidelady

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Happy Friday everyone!

Down -2.2 pounds this week. :)
Qwerty988

Postby landog » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:57 am

-2 since 2/10 (missed last week)

Happy Friday!
Is this the last weigh in for the month, or is it next Friday?

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby landog » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:59 am

Bruceshay1 wrote:I am now ready to implement the MWL program. My overall goal is to get the cholesterol below 180 and as close to 150 as well see further drop in A1C by my July 17, 2017 appointment with my lifestyle management MD. It seems that losing additional weight through the MWL program will accomplish that.

Hi bruceshay1,

Looks like a great plan! Good luck!
landog

Postby bmccloud » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:23 am

No change this week.

bmccloud

Postby donaldpetemc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:11 am

Weight loss for this week: 0. (I'm weighing monthly.)
Anne

donaldpetemc

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program