February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby plant_eater » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Well I had a 1.4 lb loss for the week down to 171lbs. :-)
Still stuck at 21% body fat. :?

This is the lowest I have been since starting the program in January. My high was 177 on Jan 7th (Sat) @ 22% body fat. :-)

My average has been 170lbs @ 20% body fat since June of 2015. My personal best was 164.4 lbs @ 18.4% body fat. on June 3rd 2016. This is during the summer months where I am at my peak training and the average daily temperature is about 105*F and my diet is almost 100% raw fruits and vegetables & gallons of water. (Too hot to cook or eat any kind of warm foods)

I would love to be 160lbs at 12% BF, that would be my ultimate goal, but I think that will take a level of discipline unknown to mankind!
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby Qwerty988 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:25 am

amandamechele wrote:Qwerty988 - That looks delicious! I'm glad to hear your son likes it. I wish my younger 2 kids would consider trying this type of thing. With regards to how to post a picture, I opened a Flickr account (though I'm sure other photo sharing accounts would work too) and upload photos there in order to obtain a link which is then posted on this site between their image code [img]copylinkhere[/img]... something like that.

Thanks for the info! My son was a die-hard carnivore until he hit high school, then one day he suddenly went plant-based. Now he lives on pasta, rice and bean burritos, avocado sushi rolls and dal over rice. I have no idea how this happened! I credit the cheez sauce :mrgreen:

Also thanks for posting your photos -- I'm inspired to do rice and beans (with veggies and salad) for lunch and dinner this week. I love keeping it simple.... but for me, that always meant mass quantities of potatoes all day, and that way of eating hasn't worked for me in the past.

Just as a side note, I'm spending way less on groceries lately! I'm shocked -- my weekly food bill has been at least $40 less every week. I thought I'd be spending a lot more, eating all these veggies and greens! :D

Have a great week, everyone! It's so inspiring to see everyone's progress :-D
Qwerty988

Postby ForestGoddess » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:49 am

Okay I am pretty shocked (and excited) to report a 1.2 lb weight loss this week! It has not been a perfect week by any stretch of the imagination...but that just proves the progress not perfection is a verifiable truth.

Great job all on the journey, no matter your specific outcome this week! We learn from the hard times as well as the good.
ForestGoddess

Postby Chelspaz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:14 am

Gained 1 pound. Probably just a mere fluctuation. Still feeling good! Decided to finish the potato cleanse also because I'm excited to start new recipes and I just bought an Instant Pot. Woot!!!
Chelspaz

Postby Qwerty988 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 am

Chelspaz wrote:Decided to finish the potato cleanse also because I'm excited to start new recipes and I just bought an Instant Pot. Woot!!!

OMG -- congratulations!!! I use mine everyday. Just made a nice big batch of smokey pinto beans this morning, one of my staple recipes -- just 30 mins! Soooo good over brown rice :)

http://simpledailyrecipes.com/101667/sm ... stant-pot/
Qwerty988

Postby Dave Dardinger » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:37 am

Yes! I lost 1.4 this week, down from 173.6 to 172.2. And I didn't eat particularly well either. An encouragement to actually eat well and see if i can't get down under 170 in a couple of weeks or so. I've have a few during the week measurements in the 171.x range, but never in the 170.x or less. so that's my goal for next week.
I'm just here for the food.

Dave Dardinger

Postby Yomom » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:08 am

Minus one pound, back to 149#. I'll take it!
Yomom

Postby MakePeasNotWar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:38 am

Had a good week, but not much movement on the scale. At least it's in the right direction, though :)

146.4 (-0.5)

I used the farro in place of rice for my Italian burgers. I froze several batches of different burgers and haven't had a chance to try them yet. I will report back after I do and let you know how it works.
MakePeasNotWar

Postby Chelspaz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Qwerty988 wrote:OMG -- congratulations!!! I use mine everyday. Just made a nice big batch of smokey pinto beans this morning, one of my staple recipes -- just 30 mins! Soooo good over brown rice :)

http://simpledailyrecipes.com/101667/sm ... stant-pot/

That's awesome! I have a coworker who also has one and a friend as well and they both say they use theirs a LOT! I'm a little nervous to learn it and try my first recipe tomorrow, but I'm ready!
Chelspaz

Postby amandamechele » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Great week all!

Since we've been talking recipes a bit this past week I thought I'd share Mary McDougall's presentation from February's McDougall Advanced Study Weekend.

In this recording Mary discusses meal planning. To learn from the expert herself, have a look.

Well, let's get back to the weekend! Best wishes for the coming week.

Amy :)

Here are the results for the final week in February:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, March 3rd, 2017

February 2017 Weight Loss Group :: Weekly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss reported in 2017: 240.16 pounds
Total group loss in January 2017: 137.25 pounds
Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Week ending 02/24/2017: 24 participants reported a total loss of 23.7 pounds

---------------------------------------
Loralei - 0.3
Kirstykay - 1.5
Wgroscost - 1.3
Chelspaz - 1.0
Total gains = 4.1
Adelaidelady - 0.0
Qwerty988 - 2.2
Landog - 2.0
BMcCloud - 0.0
Donaldpetemc - 0.0
GlennR - 2.0
Polly - 4.8
Hazelrah - 2.5
Anne57 - 2.6
Heyer - 2.2
Bruceshay1 - 0.0
Kkrichar - 1.0
BeckyH - 3.0
Ikjuhl - 0.0
Plant_eater - 1.4
ForestGoddess - 1.2
Dave Dardinger - 1.4
Yomom - 1.0
MakePeasNotWar - 0.5
Amandamechele - 0.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 27.8
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in February 2017: 102.91 pounds
Week ending 02/24/2017: 24 participants reported a total loss of 23.7 pounds
Week ending 02/17/2017: 27 participants reported a total loss of 15.76 pounds
Week ending 02/10/2017: 25 participants reported a total loss of 33.1 pounds
Week ending 02/03/2017: 30 participants reported a total loss of 30.35 pounds
Last edited by amandamechele on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 pm

landog - Yes, the next weigh in on the 3rd will span from Sat the 25th to Mar 3rd.

Bruceshay1 - Alright! Let us know if you have any questions, but you seem to have this all under control. Best wishes this week.

Kelly - You lost weight this week, which is awesome, so the starch-heavy thing seems to be working so far. I hear you about the difficulties surrounding cravings and think keeping satisfied is a great plan. Maybe make that your primary focus for now and when you don't feel so nervous about it (in a few weeks) start to tweek things a bit. It turned cold again where I live too. Boo! What type of swimming will you be doing? How long will you be off of your foot?

BeckyH - Woo hoo! Great loss this week. How many more weeks until your surgery?

kirstykay - Best of luck at your doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks. I hope the blood work comes out in your favour, but it's good to hear that no matter what happens you'll still be back. I'm positive eating this way will help, but whether it's this time or next, is yet to be seen. My fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Wgroscost - Onwards is right! Best wishes next week.

lkjuhl - Good effort this week. What do your meals look like? I figure if you are eating until full and not gaining weight its a good week! Now let's try to figure out how to help you turn that frown upside down. Lol.

Robert - I'm glad you had a loss this week and I'm sorry you're frustrated about the body fat percentage. Thankfully summer is closer than it is far.

Qwerty988 - Oooh, do you have a favourite cheeze sauce recipe? Isn't it great about lower food costs. I find the less refined packaged items I buy the cheaper it is even with a whole bunch of fruits and veggies. It's those boxed and prepared foods that are so expensive.

ForestGoddess - I'm happy to hear about your progress! Learning from the hard times as well as the good is a wonderful way to think, thank you for the motivating words.

Chelsea - We'll show the scale whose boss next week! What recipes do you plan on trying in the Instantpot? I have one too, but it's very under utilized.

Dave - I hope you get to your goal! Best wishes for next week.

Kathy - Yes! 149 again is fantastic!

MakePeasNotWar - Yep... definitely the right direction. How many different types of burgers did you make?
amandamechele

Postby BeckyH » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks Amanda. It's 8 more weeks till surgery. It is the last Tuesday in April.i'm hoping that it wasn't all water weight and that I'll keep on losing 8-10 lbs before it.
BeckyH

Postby kirstykay » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:25 pm

So what is the word on Tofu? Is it allowed in MWL. There is no mention of it in the guidelines one way or the other.

I'm noticing I'm using it more than I used to. Not sure why, except that a few recipes I've made lately have include it. For example, Spinach Lasagna (with zucchini noodles) has a tofu ricotta, I added some marinated tofu chunks to my veggie stir-fry, and the lentil loaf I like the most (I've been experimenting with recipes) has extra firm tofu in it and I think that's what makes it hold together better than the rest. Also, I just tried to make a garbanzo bean tuno salad that I had with greens, and it called for a tofu mayo.

Now, normally, I will go weeks or even months without buying tofu without even thinking about it. All of a sudden I realized that 4 out of 5 dishes I have cooked and ready to go in the fridge for the week contain tofu, and I began to wonder...huh...could be a problem?
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Chelspaz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:59 pm

amandamechele wrote:Chelsea - We'll show the scale whose boss next week! What recipes do you plan on trying in the Instantpot? I have one too, but it's very under utilized.

That's right! I plan on trying corn chowder, triple bean chili, one pot pasta, and I think one other I can't recall right now. Those are on the menu for this week, though. I bought High Carb Hannah's [she's awesome and has a really great channel on YouTube] IP recipe book and that's where these recipes I'm trying are from. That's funny you don't utilize yours very much...anyone I've ever spoken to who owns one speaks HIGHLY of them and how they use them everyday! For me, I'm not a huge fan of being in the kitchen, so I think being able to throw things into my IP and walk away to let it do its thing is definitely my cup of tea.

So...I've been thinking of going to the doctor for a checkup and have been hesitant because of going to a regular doctor who doesn't support my lifestyle [vegan]. I was advised about plantbaseddoctors.com where you can search for plant-based doctors in your area. I'm in Columbia, South Carolina, and the closest plant-based doctors I found were in Greenville. There are quite a few there, but there is one specifically who caught my eye.

She is Starch Solution Certified!! I didn't even know that existed, so that's an amazingly awesome surprise! I can't wait to schedule an appointment with her and I really hope that she will be in my health insurance network!! Eek!!
Chelspaz

Postby Qwerty988 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:38 am

amandamechele wrote:Qwerty988 - Oooh, do you have a favourite cheeze sauce recipe?

I don't use a recipe but this one is real close :) http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/am ... eese-sauce
Qwerty988

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program