February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 pm

Welcome to the Fabulous February 2017 Weigh-In Group!

Oh February: That month where many of us are already two weeks out from our failed New Year's resolutions. Why do you have to be so grey?
Other than a Hallmark holiday and the government suggesting you spend a day with your family (they do here in Canada), there really aren't as many (superficial) reasons to work hard on slimming down (wedding season and pool parties haven't even crossed most of our minds yet).
(Except for these guys...they are swim ready all year! :shock: )

Thankfully we are all WAY beyond that. We are here to get healthy; weight loss and greater feelings of happiness and self esteem are just wonderful side effects of eating the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss program. (Those are the only kind of side effects I want to deal with)

So please join me in this month's challenge; I can't do this alone. We can have a great month together.

Amy

Here is a link to the MWL Program guidelines:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620#p265094

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

1) Please make sure you make a new post every week when you post your weigh ins. If you only edit your very first post in the thread, I will never find it. Thanks. :)

2) A note from Jeff Novick RD

FYI

For the newcomer, I collated this from some earlier threads....

Here is a refresher on some guidelines for posting here and participating in our monthly weigh-in thread.

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally.

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

See you all this Friday and Saturday!
amandamechele

Re: February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby donaldpetemc » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:09 am

Lost since Jan. 1: 15.3 lbs.

Since I find the scale to be my enemy when I weigh frequently, and since my doctor concurs with my plan, I have decided to weigh only once a month.
Anne

donaldpetemc

Postby AmyTug » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm brand new to the boards... I want to do this, but I'm unsure where I'm supposed to post- in this thread? Start my own in the MWL forum?
AmyTug

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 pm

AmyTug wrote:I'm brand new to the boards... I want to do this, but I'm unsure where I'm supposed to post- in this thread? Start my own in the MWL forum?

Hi Amy,

Welcome to the February weigh-in.

If you look at the top post above, you will see all the instruction you need to participate in the monthly weigh-ins. If you have any questions, just post them here in this thread and either one of the members or Amy (amandamechele), who facilitates the thread and/or I will respond.

The post above also has a link the guidelines for the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program.

Welcome!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby sirdle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:10 pm

AmyTug wrote:I'm brand new to the boards... I want to do this, but I'm unsure where I'm supposed to post- in this thread? Start my own in the MWL forum?

Hi Amy! Welcome aboard! Be sure to read the first post and check out the MWL Plan Guidelines.

If that sounds like something you'd like to do, then go ahead and post your results in this thread every Friday... and post your questions and comments any old time you like!

Cheers, :-P

===========

EDIT: snaked by quick-draw Jeff. :-(
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby gingee » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:53 pm

hello, i saw the invite to this group while on twitter and decided to give it a try. unfortunately i ate oatmeal with raisins for dinner before i read foods to omit! so, will do better tomorrow. :)
gingee

Postby Katrat77 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Hello:
My name is Kathy. I would like to join this board. I am 40 years old and weigh 223lbs. I was also diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 11 years ago and I'm currently taking steroids, methotrexate and getting remicade infusions. Needless to say this is also my motivating factor in trying Dr Mcdougall plan out.
Katrat77

Postby amandamechele » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Anne- Great job in January! I completely understand your feelings about the scale, if you don't want to weigh in weekly that's okay. Just check in each Friday (or more often if you wish!!) with a 0 pounds lost post. That way I'll know you're still with us. How often are you thinking about weighing yourself? Dr. Lisle has said in more than one webinar that he thinks once a month is often enough. I think whether it's weekly, biweekly or monthly it should not cause anyone undue distress. For the most part we all pretty much know which way the needle will move based on how we've been doing.

Amy (AmyTug)- Welcome to our little support space. I see Jeff has already stopped by. He's the one with all of the answers!

For anyone unfamiliar, Jeff Novick (JeffN) is the program RD; be sure to check out his Forum where he answers any and all nutrition questions. In a different group that I belong to the members refer to him as Master Novick. He's that good. :nod:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=22

Jeff has many recorded lectures, here is one of my favourites where he explains the principles of calorie density in detail:
(it's about an hour)
http://youtu.be/0CdwWliv7Hg

Sirdle - LOL...You may have lost the welcome draw, but you've cinched the first joke award. ;)

Gingee - Hi and welcome. I love oatmeal for dinner! You're doing well already.

Kathy (Katrat77) - Welcome and best wishes! You've been through a lot; this is definitely the best place for you to be. You may have already seen some of these success stories of others with rheumatoid arthritis (but in case you haven't):

Jackie:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/stars/stars-video/jackie-swoboda/
Paula:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/stars/stars-video/paula-rheumatoid-arthritis/
Phyllis:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/stars/stars-video/phyllis-heaphy/
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/stars/stars-video/phyllis/
Debbie:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/stars/stars-written/debbie-cockrell/
These are only a few. For more inspiration take a look at the Success Stories, found in the Education tab at the top left of your screen.
Last edited by amandamechele on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandamechele

Postby Karen Lea » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:12 pm

I'm looking forward to this. See you Friday.
Karen Lea

Postby Calisac » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:39 pm

I am also looking forward to this!
Calisac

Postby plant_eater » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Wanted to get in a quick recap on January.

Total Weight Loss for Jan. 4.5lbs Ended the month at 172.5lb
Total Body Fat Loss 2.3% Ended the month at 18.9%BF

Goal is 10%-12% Body Fat

I have eliminated the following from my diet, vegan butter, soy milk, weekly yogurt treats. I have also instituted a no eating after 7pm rule, which is about 80% effective.

I work part time 3 days a week and these are my hardest days to stay on track. I am eating 2-3 Clif bars per day to stay on top of calories, I also eat several bananas, fruit bowl, and occasional veggie mix with oil from the deli counter.

When not at work I am pretty dialed with the exception of a Justins dark chocolate peanut butter cup 2pk 2-3x times a week.

Lol, looking back at all that its hard to think I have not gained a few pounds. But all kidding aside I eat lots of potatoes, rice, beans, fresh veggies and fruit and lots of bananas. I also get in some good exercise every weekend.

Exercise for the month of January has been much less then I would like/need it to be. Luckily the weather is warming up so looking forward to really ramping things up for February. Just signed up for this last night, little 10 mile mountain race. :D http://pasadenarunningcompany.com/trail-challenge

I have noticed that after finishing January I have been on a little bit of a calorie binge. Seems to be a mental hang up, like I need to make up for lost calories trying to stay on track for the month. So this Friday hopefully won't be a step backwards. The biggest thing is I enjoy checking in and tracking my losses and goals and posting publicly for all to see. Keeps me accountable in a certain respect.

Alright, cheers. See everyone this Friday for the first weight in of the new month!
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby kirstykay » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Hi Everyone!
I'd like to join you this month. After a couple years away, I came back to the boards in January and have been doing well with the program. I lost 100 pounds on this plan 2010-2013, but never got down to my goal weight. My present weight is 55 pounds higher than my lowest, but I have 80 pounds total to lose to get down to my goal. I've learned a lot from my mistakes in the last few years. I'm not attaching a time frame to my weight loss this time because I am in this for life now. No more treating this like a diet. I'm looking forward to joining you all on this journey, and for the accountability. I'll post my weight on Friday. Thanks!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:16 am

I'm in and so psyched to join this group!! I got the shock of my life on January 12th when I stepped on the scale -- for the first time in years -- and discovered I weighed 40 pounds more than I thought I did!! :shock:

I started MWL that very day and as of last week have lost 6.6 pounds :D

No more excuses, no more hiding. I'll post my weight loss on Fridays. Onward and downward!!
Qwerty988

Postby Chelspaz » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:26 am

So on the "McDougall Friends" Facebook page, I heard something about a potato cleanse. There has since been another Facebook group created called "Potato Island" for people to talk about the potato cleanse. I've heard this is somewhat like the Mary's Mini program, but I don't know much about that either to be honest. I'm thinking about trying this out but am not sure where to start. I've joined the "Potato Island" group to try and learn more, but wasn't sure if anyone here had heard or tried this and could give me somewhere I can go to learn more.
Chelspaz

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:41 am

Chelspaz wrote:So on the "McDougall Friends" Facebook page, I heard something about a potato cleanse. There has since been another Facebook group created called "Potato Island" for people to talk about the potato cleanse. I've heard this is somewhat like the Mary's Mini program, but I don't know much about that either to be honest. I'm thinking about trying this out but am not sure where to start. I've joined the "Potato Island" group to try and learn more, but wasn't sure if anyone here had heard or tried this and could give me somewhere I can go to learn more.

The Potato Cleanse was created by High Carb Hannah -- you can see her videos about it on YouTube and you can also join the Facebook page for it if you'd like. I did it and really enjoyed it -- but for me anyway it wasn't sustainable and I gained back a lot of the weight I lost.
Qwerty988

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program