February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby anne57 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby stillcrazy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:05 am

Amy,

Thank you so much for the links you gave me a couple of weeks ago relating to food addiction. I followed them all (Dr. McDougall, Doug Lisle, and Dr. Pam Peeke). Dr. McDougall's was informative, Doug Lisle's didn't do anything for me, (one of the links for Lisle is a bit wonky, but I figured it out) but Dr. Pam Peeke's interview hit my nail right on the head so I got her book and am now on about my third time through it with much hope for getting a handle on my relationship with food and my weight in general, and then by extension some of my health issues that haven't been resolving on whole foods plant based no oil added so far. We'll see, but right now my enthusiasm for her approach is very high.

One of the things she suggested that spoke to me was to stop weighing myself for a while to measure progress (failure, success) and to use what she calls a "clothes-o-meter", an article of beloved clothing that is a little bit too small. So I found a pair of jeans that I can get on but can't snap at the waist to try on once a week until they fit comfortably.

So what I am saying is that for now, I will not be weighing in and reporting on this lovely thread. Your encouragement is super and I appreciate the sharing of so many of the participants.

I think I will go back to my journal. I really want this way of eating to work for me since it looks the most promising way to achieve good health that I can find right now. So I'm not giving up, just redirecting a bit.

Vee
stillcrazy

Postby amandamechele » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:47 pm

BeckyH wrote:Thanks Amanda. It's 8 more weeks till surgery. It is the last Tuesday in April.i'm hoping that it wasn't all water weight and that I'll keep on losing 8-10 lbs before it.

I'm sure some of it had to be fat! LOL. 8 weeks is definitely a doable timeframe for 8 pounds. It may not happen, but if you stick to the guidelines I bet you'll get close. :-D
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 pm

kirstykay wrote:So what is the word on Tofu? Is it allowed in MWL. There is no mention of it in the guidelines one way or the other.

I'm noticing I'm using it more than I used to. Not sure why, except that a few recipes I've made lately have include it. For example, Spinach Lasagna (with zucchini noodles) has a tofu ricotta, I added some marinated tofu chunks to my veggie stir-fry, and the lentil loaf I like the most (I've been experimenting with recipes) has extra firm tofu in it and I think that's what makes it hold together better than the rest. Also, I just tried to make a garbanzo bean tuno salad that I had with greens, and it called for a tofu mayo.

Now, normally, I will go weeks or even months without buying tofu without even thinking about it. All of a sudden I realized that 4 out of 5 dishes I have cooked and ready to go in the fridge for the week contain tofu, and I began to wonder...huh...could be a problem?

Hey Kirstykay,

Ok, regarding tofu, I looked it up in my copy of The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss and on the bottom of page 11 it is listed under FOODS TO AVOID. The fat content is too high for MWL.

I love the Mary's lasagna recipe too! I've never tried it with zucchini noodles, what are they like? Are they made of just zucchini?

Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Chelspaz wrote:That's right! I plan on trying corn chowder, triple bean chili, one pot pasta, and I think one other I can't recall right now. Those are on the menu for this week, though.

That's funny you don't utilize yours very much...anyone I've ever spoken to who owns one speaks HIGHLY of them and how they use them everyday! For me, I'm not a huge fan of being in the kitchen, so I think being able to throw things into my IP and walk away to let it do its thing is definitely my cup of tea.

Chelsea,
Sounds delicious! Chilli is one of my go-to recipes too. I'm currently eating my way through an extra-spicy batch. As for my lack of interest in my instant pot, I'm just set in my ways a bit. It also doesn't fit on my counter easily (we're in a condo). I plan to eventually use it more, so any recipes that are MWL compliant and the instant pot makes them a cinch to make, please send them my way!

You are so lucky to have a doctor close by!

PS. Luv your instagram feed! You should post some of those delicious looking dishes here.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Qwerty988 wrote:
amandamechele wrote:Qwerty988 - Oooh, do you have a favourite cheeze sauce recipe?

I don't use a recipe but this one is real close :) http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/am ... eese-sauce

Thanks Qwerty988. I love Chuck's website. I'll give this one a try and see if my very picky son and very resistant daughter like it. :P
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi Anne,

[quote="anne57"] Right now I'm pretty much down to La Choy gluten-free low salt soy sauce (the only low sodium gluten free one I can find), Thai Kitchen curry paste and a Walmart fat-free Italian dressing that works (if I don't use too much). Any suggestions for alternatives would be most welcome :-) .[/quote]

Have you tried any of the variety of mustards? Are they to sour or acidic for you too? I have found them to be quite low in sodium and with no added sugar. Yellow, Dijon and A sweet and spicy version are my favourites. I like to go to the Asian grocery store in my area because it has two aisles full of just sauces and condiments. I still haven't read my way through it yet, and I've lived here for a year. I use low-sodium tamari, which sounds similar to your soy sauce. That store I just mentioned has 5 or 6 low sodium variety that have things like garlic or citrus in them.

[quote="anne57"]The rich foods that I reduced were mostly soy foods like tofu and soy curls. I'm finding out that a lot of my health issues go on and off like a switch with fat content and not just oil, although oil causes more. [/quote]

Kirstykay just asked about tofu, so it is freshly on my mind. Reducing them was a good idea. I think I have to follow your lead here. I eat a lot of edamame, and though healthy, they are relatively high in fat too.

Best wishes this week!
Amy

Edited: I can't figure out what I did wrong with your quote. Sorry about that.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:21 pm

stillcrazy wrote:Amy,

Thank you so much for the links you gave me a couple of weeks ago relating to food addiction. I followed them all (Dr. McDougall, Doug Lisle, and Dr. Pam Peeke). Dr. McDougall's was informative, Doug Lisle's didn't do anything for me, (one of the links for Lisle is a bit wonky, but I figured it out) but Dr. Pam Peeke's interview hit my nail right on the head so I got her book and am now on about my third time through it with much hope for getting a handle on my relationship with food and my weight in general, and then by extension some of my health issues that haven't been resolving on whole foods plant based no oil added so far. We'll see, but right now my enthusiasm for her approach is very high.

One of the things she suggested that spoke to me was to stop weighing myself for a while to measure progress (failure, success) and to use what she calls a "clothes-o-meter", an article of beloved clothing that is a little bit too small. So I found a pair of jeans that I can get on but can't snap at the waist to try on once a week until they fit comfortably.

So what I am saying is that for now, I will not be weighing in and reporting on this lovely thread. Your encouragement is super and I appreciate the sharing of so many of the participants.

I think I will go back to my journal. I really want this way of eating to work for me since it looks the most promising way to achieve good health that I can find right now. So I'm not giving up, just redirecting a bit.

Vee

Hi Vee,

Thank you for sending me this message. I appreciate it. I'm so happy that you found something that works for you. Best wishes, and I can't wait to hear about (and see a picture :eek: ) of you in those jeans, in your journal. (Kidding! Though I will try to stop by and say hi in your journal).

Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:24 pm

All right Y'all,

I'm signing out of this thread! It was quite the month!

See you in the March group!

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Adelaidelady » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:41 pm

133.3 pounds!!! I'm losing weight at last!!! And I'm not hungry. I missed last weeks weigh in as I didn't post it properly.

This diet does work and I'm learning how to finally be in control of my body. It's great and I am starting to fit in my smaller pants. My wardrobe was organised in sizes. Thank you.
Adelaidelady

Postby anne57 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Last edited by anne57 on Mon May 06, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anne57

Postby amandamechele » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi Adelaidelady!

Great work! I'm glad things are starting to fall into place. Anne was so kind to point out that we have moved to a new monthly thread. Click on the link in my post above this one that says "see you in the March group" and it will take you there.
I don't want you missing all the fun!!
Best wishes this week.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby kkrichar » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:55 am

I'm down 2.4 pounds this week. So, the scale is starting to move. I'm happy with that.

My foot appears to be fully healed so I've been running again. So far it's been relatively short distances at a slow pace. I have my first 5K of year next weekend and it's not going to be good. But, it'll be a nice baseline. Why do I feel like I'm perpetually establishing baseline values? I hope this is the last time. Psychologically and physically it's hard to be on a weight roller coaster. I want stability. I want it off my radar.

I watched Mary McDougall's presentation on eating out. It was really helpful. She did a great job describing the sabotage mindset. If you can't find anything that's McDougall compliant then you might as well order the worst possible item on the menu. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. She also gave me some language suggestions I hadn't thought of like saying you want hashbrowns "dry" or suggesting to the waiter or chef, "Could you substitute the oil with some soy sauce or vegetable stock when you saute that?" instead of just asking if they can do it without oil. She also said we need to be honest with ourselves on how often we're eating out. Some people have to eat out a lot due to work or other reasons and other people rarely ever eat out. If you eat out a lot you should try harder to find compliant foods. Just stick with the salad or oatmeal. It's not great but if you make exceptions daily then it's actually just your diet not an exception. If you can honestly say you rarely ever eat out and you get a cheese-less veggie pizza you're going to have some oil in the dough and oil in the marinara sauce but twice a year isn't going to kill you. We have to be honest, though. We can't just say, "Dr. McDougall says a little oil in the marinara is OK once in awhile" and then order pizza every week. It was also nice hearing which things Dr. McDougall can relax about (like the ingredients in a dry piece of toast). I just felt better after watching. Many of the suggestions she gave I already do. That made me feel better about the choices I make. And she gave suggestions I will try so that made me feel more empowered and hopeful.

I often think, "I know all the rules. I know why I struggle with food. I just need to stick to the plan. Watching a bunch of videos on stuff I already know isn't going to help." But, sometimes you need to be reminded of things you know. Sometimes a little nugget of new information slips in there. And sometimes you just need to immerse yourself in the thinking about and planning and implementing of this WOE for awhile to help undo all those justifications you've been making that keep you trapped. This can be done. It is work sometimes. But we're all so lucky to know about it and have all the information we need to preserve our lives, our health and mobility.

I hope everyone else is feeling good about their power to heal this week!

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program