January 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Bernadette.S » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi all, my name is Bernadette, I'm from Sydney, Australia.
I've been plant based since July 2015 and had terrific results with weight loss, feeling the best I had in years.
However 2016 found me gaining 15kg (33 pounds) over the year. Still being plant based but eating junk. I have had a couple of months now with a few non-plant based foods.
This is the heaviest and largest I've ever been and I don't feel comfortable at all.
I've been trying to commit to eating better which has started to improve but I haven't been able to get back on the exercise wagon.
Sorry for the long introduction but it's time to stop kidding myself where I'm at and move towards where I want to be.
I have 15kg I want gone, I know plant based works, so I'm ready to get back on track
Bernadette.S

Postby philsmith » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Started the year off at 188, will check-in on the 6th.
philsmith

Postby PaulaW » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Staring the year with an injury and needing much rest. I don't want to gain more weight and would like to finally lose the extra. Willing to pay the price for health.
PaulaW

Postby Arnold Sand » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Thank You for this forum. I started Mcdougalling 3 months ago and am doing OK. Weight is coming off slowly as I am having a hard time being 100%. I am hoping the support and guidance here will help me stay on track. At 265 I am roughly 100 pounds overweight. At 47 I have tried it all and am at the end of my rope. Looking forward to getting this done
Arnold Sand

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Welcome Anne57! We will happily be a part of your support and accountability system. Best wishes.

Welcome Bernadette.S! Let's focus on the eating this week. The exercise can come when you feel more ready...whether that's tomorrow, next week or month, is up to you.

Welcome PhilSmith! Good luck this week, see you on the 6th.

Welcome PaulaW.! I'm sorry to hear you are injured. It's great that you are using this rest period to focus on healthy eating.

Welcome ArnoldSand! It's great that you have been having success with this WOE. It took me quite awhile to get the hang of consistently eating on plan....quite awhile. :o We can all work at it together.
amandamechele

Postby plant_eater » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Plant Powered Triathlete here, Hello Everyone :-D

I have been plant based for about 3 years now. I have lost a total of 90lbs. I started out at 260lbs and got down to 170. I have been stuck at 20% body fat for 2 years now.

Anyways despite eating healthy plant based diet and training for multiple races I cannot shake the mid belly fat and its honestly got me a little desperate. Its like I how much harder do I have to workout, how much less do I have to eat?

Do I occasionally have a healthy non-fat yogurt, maybe a couple times a month. Do I splurge on a bag of natural peanuts in the shell a couple times a month, sure. Honestly I mean other then a few treats here and there I eat super clean.

This summer I tried to count calories, and I did lose weight, I dropped down to 163, and still 20% body fat, so 7lbs of lean mass wasted. Then it was ok, lets get more protein, more yogurt, more Vega vegan protein powder, lift weights, etc. Yay, now I am up to 180 and 23% body fat. Uaaagggghhhhhh :\ :duh: :crybaby:

Here is what I have going against me. 1) I was skinny as a bean pole when I was a child until I had my adenoids removed in 78', (8yrs old) ever since then I have been overweight. 2) I am 46 years old and the older you get the harder it is to lose fat, so they say. 3) I am discouraged at all the miracle stories of folks going on a plant based diet and miraculously they are all skinny fitness models.

So with all of that drama said, my goal here is to get down to 10-15% body fat. I don't care what the final weight number is. I want this belly fat gone!!
Robert the Triathlete
Plant Based Athletics
No Meat Athlete
plant_eater

Postby DizzieLizzie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:37 pm

I am glad I came across this group. Beginning the year trying to regain my healthy and get rid of weight. Accountability always helps. In this group do you post your weight loss or your actual weight, either way it doesn't matter, it is what it is and I must own it to get rid of it.
DizzieLizzie

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:14 am

Hello plant_eater, I'm glad you are joining us here. You have done amazing things for yourself, thus far. The MWL version of the McDougall plan is the best way to tackle fat loss. Take a look in Jeff Novick's forum if you are interested in any of the research supporting this assertion. One of Dr. McDougall's catch phrases is "The fat you eat is the fat you wear". So, eating a very low fat version of this plan will greatly help you with your goal. Definitely avoid the nuts and any other higher fat plant foods (like avocado or tofu) until you see results. Here is a link to a recent study from Cell Metabolism that calorie for calorie, low fat diets provide more fat loss overall.
http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(15)00350-2
(But Jeff will have this and so much more in his thread, if you are interested)
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=22

Welcome DizzieLizzie! You can post your loss in the way you feel most comfortable. :) I didn't post my actual weight for a long time, but recently decided I was okay to share it now. You can choose how you wish to share. I'm glad to have you here, we can definitely help with accountability. That's one of the reasons I'm here too!
amandamechele

Postby bmccloud » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Initial weight of 319 pounds on 3 Jan 17.
Code: Select all
[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEhw5ma/]
[img]https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wEhw5ma/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

:-D
bmccloud

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Welcome bmccloud. Best wishes this week, see you Friday.

Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:18 am

Happy Thursday Everyone!

I need to do some batch cooking today because I'm all out of pre-prepared dishes.

So where do I get my ideas? From a variety of sources...that mostly all lead right back to this very website, and Mary McDougall's delicious recipes. Here is a list of clickable MWL recipes (the one I referred to in the original version of this post):
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10076

Thank you JeffN for showing me where to find it and to Letha for compiling it.

I'm thinking Mexican Stuffed peppers sound good for tonight!

See you all tomorrow,

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Rahneida » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi, I am excited to join this group. I have been vegan for 7 years now, when we started out we were very careful with what we ate and stuck to the McDougall plan, my husband went to the retreat and we both lost weight he lost 64lbs in 4m However, in recent years we have added "Junk' back into our lives as a convenience, I am looking for idea's for healthy easy snacks especially for kids and myself. I would like to loose weight and I will weigh in tomorrow when it's Friday American time, I am originally from Canada, Moved to Australia and now live in Singapore, with each move came new struggles finding food, and ingredients became difficult (no whole foods here). Making a commitment to my health this year.
Rahneida

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi Rahneida, welcome. I'm glad you'll be joining us here. Where in Canada are you originally from? I live in Toronto.
Heather McDougall provided some wonderful, kid-friendly snack suggestions in the February 2013 newsletter. Take a look:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2013nl/feb/recipes.pdf
I'm glad you asked about this, because I'm always looking for easy lunch snacks for my kids to take to school.
See you tomorrow!
Amy
amandamechele

Postby Sara_S » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Hi!
There was another message that said we needed to write our weight by noon tomorrow--
where how to we add that info?
thanks
Sara
Sara_S

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi Sara_S,

Check in starts tomorrow (Friday) and goes until Saturday at noon PST (12 pm pacific standard time) to post your weight loss, here in this thread. It's quite informal, so no worries. I'll tally everything up and post the weekly report late Saturday or early Sunday.

Best wishes,
Amy
amandamechele

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program