January 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2017 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 am

Yesterday was prep day, in my house, for the week: Chopping, baking and the making of stew.

I made a Chana masala recipe that was particularly delicious. If you like the flavours of northern India and Pakistan, I highly recommend it.
Here is a favourite of ours by Mary McDougall:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/may/recipes.htm
and another favourite:
http://minimalistbaker.com/easy-chana-masala/
(I omit the oil, use much less salt and use 1 tsp of brown sugar instead of the 3 tsps of coconut sugar)

How do some of you prepare for the busy week? Do you batch cook? Do you like to make things fresh everyday?
amandamechele

Postby audmor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 am

Hello all.. I'm joining in for some accountability and it looks like you're all having fun to boot. Just thinking about whether I need a new scale for the decimal points - I think I'll just have to try to move the needle in whole numbers for now. Thanks for all of your ideas, they are inspiring!
audmor

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Welcome audmor!

No need to get a new scale, whole numbers are just fine.
I notice you're from Halifax. Have you lived out east your whole life? I spent a few years in Halifax in the early nineties at Dalhousie and SMU. It's a lovely and friendly city.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Chelspaz wrote:I know most ketchups have high fructose corn syrup and other yucky stuff like that in it, so what brands are the best to use? (Keep in mind I do most of my shopping at Walmart, but I of course can stop in other places if I need to get something specifically sold somewhere else.)

Hi Chelsea,

I do a lot of shopping there too. I will admit to choosing not to worry about this kind of thing yet. I figure I'll get the big picture stuff, like consistently eating on plan down pat before I start fiddling with the smaller details. I focus on no dairy, no animal products, no oil and limiting added sugars and sodium.
I agree, high fructose corn syrup is not a great choice. Here in Canada I would look for brands in the organic/natural food section of our major grocery stores. The brand names are probably different than what you have where you are. I'm a bit jealous of you (Americans) because of the greater diversity of choices you have in your stores.

How has this week been going for you?

Amy
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Do any of you watch the weekly live webinars put on by Dr McDougall and Gustavo Tolosa?

If you haven't heard about them, they are every Thursday at 11am PST (that's 2pm EST for me). They are FREE.

A webinar is a live lecture where Dr McDougall, Mary or Dr Lisle (once a month) discuss a predetermined topic or answer viewer questions. There is a live feed that you can type questions into and chat with other people viewing the webinar. I try to schedule my laundry or food preparation time at the same time each week so that I get to see them.

Here is a link to register for tomorrow's webinar for anyone interested:

https://app.webinarjam.net/register/14990/f1db9be483

If you aren't able to watch them live, you can still register and a link will be emailed to you for later viewing.
amandamechele

Postby Chelspaz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:59 am

amandamechele wrote:
Hi Chelsea,

I do a lot of shopping there too. I will admit to choosing not to worry about this kind of thing yet. I figure I'll get the big picture stuff, like consistently eating on plan down pat before I start fiddling with the smaller details. I focus on no dairy, no animal products, no oil and limiting added sugars and sodium.
I agree, high fructose corn syrup is not a great choice. Here in Canada I would look for brands in the organic/natural food section of our major grocery stores. The brand names are probably different than what you have where you are. I'm a bit jealous of you (Americans) because of the greater diversity of choices you have in your stores.

How has this week been going for you?

Amy

Okay. That sounds good to me not to worry too much about it right now. I figured that it wasn't TOO big a deal as it's only a condiment and I add just a little bit to my meals. And like you said, the big picture stuff is what matters most right now. Thanks! [Just to add, I do get the Hunts 100% Natural, but even processed foods that claim to be 100% Natural I'm always doubtful of anyways lol]

This week has been pretty good I'd say for my 2nd week. I've been having oatmeal every morning instead of cereal with plant milk, but I do put some natural maple syrup in it because that seems to allow me to enjoy it more. I'm also having carrots for mid-morning snacks and air popped popcorn for mid-afternoon snacks. In the evenings I have a bad habit of really craving sweets after dinner, so I just pop a couple of dark chocolate covered almonds to help with that. [I don't think I'd be able to have more than that anyways because they are so rich after eating not-so-rich foods during the day.]

But yea, overall it's been pretty good. :)

P.S. I've tuned in to one of McDougall's webinars and it was pretty cool! Oh, what you can do with technology these days!
Chelspaz

Postby fancyfinch » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:46 am

Testing to see if I did this weightloss ticker right

fancyfinch

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 pm

Chelsea - The webinars are great. I highly recommend them to everyone when they are wobbling.

Fancyfinch - You did it! Your weight loss ticker looks great. Can you teach me?
amandamechele

Postby DizzieLizzie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 am

Good morning all!
Weight this morning is 241.4 for a loss of 1.6 pounds.
DizzieLizzie

Postby bmccloud » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:37 am

I'm down One pound. I don't do a good job of restricting my fruit to only two servings.

Last edited by bmccloud on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bmccloud

Postby Loralei » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 am

Wow! Fridays sure roll around quickly. I weighed in at 131.8, with a loss of only .4 lb and I was totally compliant. :| Good luck, everyone.
Loralei

Postby fancyfinch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:50 am

Loss of 1.0 lb. I knew last weeks loss was too good to be true with my period munchies. On a positive note, still a loss! And working hard to stay on track. Woohoo! Finally made it into the 160's (haven't been that for well over a year)! :-D

Amy -- go to tickerfactory.com > Choose a strip design that you like (lots of pages -- I just picked one from the first page) > Click Next > Choose yourticker mover > Click Next > (It tells you to choose a pin #, but I haven't figured out how to come back and edit a ticker I've already made, so I just keep making new ones...) > Choose tracking type (I chose Weight Change) > Put in target/starting/current weights and today's date > Click Next > It'll show you the ticker and will give you code at the bottom of the page that can be used in message boards or a website. Copy and paste into your reply on this message board. And Voila! Hopefully I can find how to keep that one that's already made....

fancyfinch

Postby fancyfinch » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:56 am

Okay, figured out how to keep and update the ticker. :!: When you get to your final page and it shows you your ticker, near the top of the page it'll give you URL. Make sure to copy that URL and save it, or open in a new tab and favorite it. Make sure to remember the pin that you entered on the previous page, because you'll need it to update your ticker later.
fancyfinch

Postby Dave Dardinger » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:08 am

Another good week for me. I lost 1.6# down from 173.2 to 171.6. I'm looking forward to breaking down to the 160's in the next couple of weeks.
I'm just here for the food.

Dave Dardinger

Postby Asia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:17 am

amandamechele wrote:Do any of you watch the weekly live webinars put on by Dr McDougall and Gustavo Tolosa?

I found these on YouTube a few days ago and have been enjoying them. Didn't realize they were every week...wow!
Asia

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program