Potato Challenge: Spudnik vs. Vegpedlr

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Potato Challenge: Spudnik vs. Vegpedlr

Postby sirdle » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:54 am

spudnik wrote:"Challenge," "orgy," potato, potahto. :D

Yeah, it's not exactly drudgery and gruel over here. I've thought about gnocchi just using potatoes (no flour, not even potato flour) but that might be a golden ring too far. On the other hand.....

:-D :-D :-D
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:57 am

I'm just practicing my Spud-Fu the way my Master taught me. I must not dishonor my lineage.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Dinner tonight:
Baked potato topped with Mary's Mushroom Marsala Sauce, which I made ahead for my Xmas dinner. I varied it by adding more herbs, more wine, and using Madeira instead of Marsala because that was what was available. Used fresh shiitake and chanterelle mushrooms. Super good.

Tomorrow:
More holiday prep, with which I will top a baked potato. Dinner will be posole.
vgpedlr

Postby roundcoconut » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:24 am

spudnik wrote:"Challenge," "orgy," potato, potahto. :D

Yeah, it's not exactly drudgery and gruel over here. I've thought about gnocchi just using potatoes (no flour, not even potato flour) but that might be a golden ring too far. On the other hand.....

You are hilarious! So glad you are stepping up to the plate and exploring the many seemly and unseemly ways of the potahto. Pushing the envelope for the greater good of humankind!

Vegpedlr, re your marsala / maderia sauce, I think I should tell you that WHENEVER I have the opportunity to encounter shiitake mushrooms in anything, I absolutely like to give them top billing. Like "Wine shit sauce" and "Broccoli shit soup". This amuses me to no end, and it never gets old for me! :P
roundcoconut

Postby spudnik » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:00 am

All potato orgy talk aside, today was busy so actually wound up being pretty basic. I made little potato patties/pancakes out of smooshed mash baked just like the balls, and just had a stack of those for breakfast and lunch, and dinner was the rest of today's boiled allotment thrown in the oven to crisp up and dipped just in a deliciously unholy spicy mustard/tapatio blend. We shall see what tomorrow brings! I reaaaaaallly want that marsala sauce, that sounds amazing.
"Diligence is the only way out." - Doug Lisle
spudnik

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:21 am

[quote="roundcoconut"Vegpedlr, re your marsala / maderia sauce, I think I should tell you that WHENEVER I have the opportunity to encounter shiitake mushrooms in anything, I absolutely like to give them top billing. Like "Wine shit sauce" and "Broccoli shit soup". This amuses me to no end, and it never gets old for me! :P[/quote]
You'd fit right in with my sister and I. We use shiitakes every chance we get, always pronouncing them:

SHIT-loud, (heavy, emphasis)
tahki- (very quiet, mumbled)

Always funny, never gets old.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:27 am

spudnik wrote:I reaaaaaallly want that marsala sauce, that sounds amazing.

It's in The Starch Solution and newsletters. It's usually served at the live events as well.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl/041200purecipes.htm

I modified it somewhat. I used shallots instead of leeks, more herbs, a dash of thyme, more wine. I also used fancy chanterelle mushrooms for a festive flair.

It's really good. I will use it to top my seitan or tempeh for Xmas dinner.

Lunch today:
Potatoes, probably more green potato soup, I still have a lot left. Poole stew tonight for dinner, based on Terry Hope Romero's recipe from Viva Vegan!

Mash on, spud-folk
vgpedlr

Postby spudnik » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:13 pm

I am still on the potato train and will remain (mostly) aboard tomorrow as well. Today was busy so simple: hashbrowns, mashed potato balls, and potato salad with a few herbs and some broccoli.

Looks like I'll be spending the holiday all by my lonesome this year since I am far from home and the plans I thought I had have fallen through. So, it's a little sad and lonely I suppose but at least no one will be pressuring me to eat toxic food or policing my Netflix choices. Just me and my potatoes this year. It's very romantic. :-D
spudnik

Postby spudnik » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:36 pm

Still potato-ing! I might start a new thread if my worthy adversary has been defeated by other delicious veggie fare, however. :-D
spudnik

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:17 am

Cooked more potatoes yesterday, and bought another bag to get me through the New Year. But I do miss rice based dishes, especially Asian. Got a big road trip at the end of next week, so it'll be rice for awhile. That, and I need to develop a recipe for "Pirate Chili" to prepare at a chile cookout as part of a huge VW campout. So I feasted Xmas day, but it was still potato based as I made a healthy, but somewhat rich version of the potato casserole my sister calls "Lard Pottoes." She calls it that because it's made with regular cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Gobs and gobs of sat fat, and everybody gobbles it up. My version was my brunch, along with a waffle fresh from my bro-in-law's new waffle iron. Dinner was more of my potato casserole, with sweet and sour cabbage, green beans with Chef AJ's Yummy Sauce, and seitan roast. I have a couple of reflections on some experiments I'd like to post for folks that might find them helpful. Then I'm out. Sick of the insults.

ETA:
Forgot to add yesterday: potatoes and seitan with steamed brussels sprouts and Yummy Sauce, dinner was potatoes with sweet and sour cabbage. Today will be more potatoes with leftovers.
vgpedlr

Postby Morris » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:35 pm

I followed the link and made the Yukon Stuffed Peppers and Marsala Mushroom Sauce. --not sure I cared for the pepper itself but the potato mixture was yum. The Marsala Mushroom Sauce is one that I will be making again. Thanks for including the link.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby dlee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:18 am

Great challenge you guys...Vegpdlir what did you mean by "
I have a couple of reflections on some experiments I'd like to post for folks that might find them helpful. Then I'm out. Sick of the insults.

Just wondering Dlee
dlee

Postby Spiral » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:31 pm

dlee wrote:Great challenge you guys...Vegpdlir what did you mean by "
I have a couple of reflections on some experiments I'd like to post for folks that might find them helpful. Then I'm out. Sick of the insults.

Just wondering Dlee

Apparently there are a lot of potato haters out there. Maybe that's what Vgpedlr means when he says he's sick of the insults.
Spiral

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program