Potato Challenge: Spudnik vs. Vegpedlr

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Potato Challenge: Spudnik vs. Vegpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:22 pm

sirdle wrote:I have a question for the potato experts:

I am rediscovering the baked potato. But it's a pain to turn the oven on for an hour each time I want one. Can I bake more than one potato at a time and store the ones I don't eat? And if so, how do I prepare the next day's potato? (Won't the skin get all soggy if I put in the refrigerator and then microwave it?)

Cheers,

You absolutely can bake more than one. I always bake ten at a time. I fill a cookie sheet. They are good for a week, if they last that long! Their texture does change a bit though. As they cool, the skin will shrink in a bit and the flesh becomes denser. They don't become soggy, but they more closely resemble a boiled or steamed potato. They will not be like the fluffy inside crisp outside they have straight out of the oven. But cooling them in the fridge for a few hours makes the best oven fries. And they develop a bit more resistant starch, which has some benefits.

Ultimately you will have to try them and see for yourself if the texture works for you or not.
vgpedlr

Postby sirdle » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:34 pm

vgpedlr wrote:You absolutely can bake more than one. I always bake ten at a time. I fill a cookie sheet. They are good for a week, if they last that long! Their texture does change a bit though. As they cool, the skin will shrink in a bit and the flesh becomes denser. They don't become soggy, but they more closely resemble a boiled or steamed potato. They will not be like the fluffy inside crisp outside they have straight out of the oven. But cooling them in the fridge for a few hours makes the best oven fries. And they develop a bit more resistant starch, which has some benefits.

Ultimately you will have to try them and see for yourself if the texture works for you or not.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try it and let you know how it turns out. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby spudnik » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Today's potato-ing plan:

Breakfast: leftover hash browns
Lunch: Last of white bean pesto potato salad
Dinner: Probably some version of mashers or mashed balls or a mashed patty like Spudfit makes. :nod:
"Diligence is the only way out." - Doug Lisle
spudnik

Postby spudnik » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:12 pm

Wound up going with a masher/broccoli "casserole" for dinner with leftover potato cheese sauce. Delicious.

Also just an observation....as I continue to marvel at the humble spud, I've been curious and poking around dusty corners of the interwebs to read everything I can find on the potato hack (I have both SpudFit and Tim Steele's books as well.) The 100+ page threads over on a certain paleo site where it all got started are very interesting, especially because long-term paleoistas seem to really struggle with that last few pounds and find the potato "hack" works very well for them. Lots of reports of better energy and sleep too, and a variety of other benefits. And yet after they finish hacking they go right back to the organ meats and 80% fat diets because "nutrition," only to come running back to the spud when their weight creeps up again. The cognitive dissonance is impressive. I'll just stick to starch-based full-time and reap the benefits full-time too, thanks.
spudnik

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Lunch today:
A hot version of a favorite summer potato salad. Potatoes, green beans, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, sun dried tomatoes, mustard and balsamic.

Dinner:
Green potato soup with dandelion greens.

The MDA potato hack threads are interesting. Funny how they treat it as "risky" temporary "hack" that must be limited so they can go back to "nutrient dense" foods like whole eggs and bone broth. :shock:
vgpedlr

Postby spudnik » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Dang, that spud salad sounds super yummy.

Yeah, sooo risky. Very deficient. Much scurvy. Those people seriously love their bone broth. :roll:
spudnik

Postby spudnik » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Still potatoes all day long over here. Keeping it simple and just having 'em tossed in some lemon + herbs for all 3 meals today, busy day!
spudnik

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:19 am

Don't why I can't pictures to load today. . .

Lunch yesterday:
Leftover potato green bean skillet with a little tempeh

Dinner yesterday:
Potatoes with red lentil dal

Breakfast today:
Oven fries w/ spicy bbq sauce

Lunch:
More green potato skillet w/ tempeh

Dinner:
Potatoes topped w/ green potato soup

It's spud-sational!
vgpedlr

Postby ForestGoddess » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:09 am

I have made 2 batches of mashed potatoes in the last couple of days...the first one I made into balls and baked them, today I made them into balls...then flattened them into pancakes and baked, I think I like that better :-D

I have gone over my schedule and I can do 5 days of hacking before the end of the year (because of social scheduling), then come January 1 I think I will try to do 5 days on 2 days off. During the week it is easy for me to eat simple and consistent...the weekends not so much.

So today's food is mashed potato baked panckes (made with mustard and spices).

I went grocery shopping and was sad to see that the brand of frozen shredded hash browns I buy is no longer sold...replaced by one that has oil :( so this week I am also experimenting to see if I can find a mandoline setting I like for shredding my own potatoes. I bought some extra to experiment on. Has anyone ever pre-shredded or cut potatoes and froze them uncooked?
ForestGoddess

Postby spudnik » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:02 am

Woohoo! Spudding on!

I want to do the pancakes too, FG! I have found a few brands of oil-free hashbrowns frozen...which brand switched up on you? The Safeway/Kroger ones are oil free (at least here in the Seattle area), as are Trader Joe's. I think pre-shredding and frozen your own would be fine but they would probably get a bit discolored (not the end of the world.)

Not sure what's on the menu today. Leftover mashed balls for breakfast and then I might try a potato-crust "pizza" of some type....will report back!!
spudnik

Postby spudnik » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:29 pm

Tater "pizza" with just a bit of tomato sauce, garlic-nooch kale chips, and mushrooms.

spudnik

Postby amandamechele » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Looks delicious!
amandamechele

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:38 am

Dinner Last Night:

Chili Cheeze Fries

Blend a can of black or pinto beans with enough salsa, hot sauce, and water to get desired taste and consistency, warm and use to top oven fries. Also made a white bean based cheese sauce for this and another recipe.
vgpedlr

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:14 am

And would you guys kindly tell me -- In what way is this a potato CHALLENGE?!? It really sounds like a potato orgy to me. :)

Good lord, it like the 12 days of christmas, where every day is something crazier and crazier. Twelve lords a leaping. Eight ladies dancing. Six geese a laying.

I'm reading this thread and pretty much expecting Miss Piggy to pop out from behind a couch and scream, "FIVE! GOLDEN! RINGS!!!!!!"

For Christ's sake! Hand over some of them cheese fries already. :)
roundcoconut

Postby spudnik » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:50 am

"Challenge," "orgy," potato, potahto. :D

Yeah, it's not exactly drudgery and gruel over here. I've thought about gnocchi just using potatoes (no flour, not even potato flour) but that might be a golden ring too far. On the other hand.....
spudnik

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program