December 2016 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

December 2016 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby amandamechele » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Welcome December!

December has an almost endless stream of reasons to celebrate. (See this calendar for what you could be celebrating today: http://www.holidayscalendar.com/month/december/) Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, this month is what many consider the most wonderful time of the year. Maybe it's only Andy Williams that actually feels this way, because when it comes to trying to eat a very healthy diet, this is definitely not true for me.

I hope many of you will consider joining us for the month and follow the MWL plan, whether as an act of kindness to yourself or as an accountability measure. We can make it through the holidays without gaining any weight or aggravating our health.

See you for weigh-in on Friday.

Amy

PS. Happy Eat a Red Apple Day!

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

1) Please make sure you make a new post every week when you post your weigh ins. If you only edit your very first post in the thread, I will never find it. Thanks. :)

2) A note from Jeff Novick RD

FYI

For the newcomer, I collated this from some earlier threads....

Here is a refresher on some guidelines for posting here and participating in our monthly weigh-in thread.

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. We recommend following the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan or the Mary's Mini's Plan.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally.

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

See you all this Friday and Saturday!"

(Edited to remove many exclamation points because I'm just not that perky sounding)
Last edited by amandamechele on Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

Re: December 2016 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby Starchyme » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:41 pm

I'm in! Will weigh in tomorrow. Going soon to listen to the webinar. Wishing everyone much success.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Yomom » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:47 am

New to the group - weight 150# this morning, a net Zero loss/gain for me this week.
Glad to join this group for greater accountability at this challenging time of year.
Yomom

Postby amandamechele » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:16 am

Welcome Starchyme and Yomom! I'm glad to see you both here. :)
Any thoughts on how you each plan on navigating the month (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm planning how to get through this next week successfully, while drinking some tea (I have a cute tea-ball that I'll share with you all because it makes me smile). I'm thinking I will journal about it a bit (not the tea-ball..lol). I will also clear the house of all of the kid's snacks that tend to trip me up (I had a misstep with some delicious banana bread that I made for the kids last night...though it's program compliant for the regular McDougall guidelines, it's definitely not MWL and it's not something that I can stop eating after 1 slice). Keeping the environment as free of temptation as possible is so important. Now I just have to scan the calendar for the week to ensure all of my eating-out plans can be properly navigated. I already have food prepped in the fridge.
Alright, let's just do this, because all of my tangents are making this a difficult read.

I'm at zero this week. Quelle surprise!

Heighest Weight: 237 lbs
Current Weight: 142 lbs
Goal 1: BMI 24.9: 129.5
Goal 2: BMI 22: 115
Week of 26/11/16-02/12/16: 0.0
amandamechele

Postby Dave Dardinger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:47 pm

I used to be a regular here, but haven't done it for a while. I've pretty much been about the same weight for a couple of year but gradually crept up from the high 170's to 184 The last couple of months though I drifted down to 178.2 which is now my starting weight. I hope to get down to about 160. BTW for newer members I started out at my high weight of 280 on a pretty poor imitation of the McDougall plan but over a number of years have gotten to a pretty compliant program. The nice thing is I eat what I want and my weight is steady. See you next week.
I'm just here for the food.

Dave Dardinger

Postby amandamechele » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Here is the result for the first week in December. Best wishes Starchyme, Yomom and Dave. :)
For anyone else, it's not too late to join us whenever you are ready.

Dave - Congratulations on your success so far. I'm glad to have you here. If I may ask, what does your non-MWL McDougalling look like?

This week I am grateful for the chance to spend extra time with my family.

PS. Andy Williams is actually playing on the radio right now...I'm not making it up!

Next weigh in is on Friday, December 9th, 2016

December 2016 Weight Loss Group :: Weekly Weigh In Results
Total group loss reported in 2016: 416.3
Total group loss in December 2016: 0
Week ending 12/02/2016: 4 participants reported a total loss of 0.0 pounds

---------------------------------------------

Total gains = 0.0
Starchyme - 0.0
Yomom - 0.0
Amandamechele- 0.0
Dave Dardinger - 0.0
Total losses = 0.0

Total group loss in December 2016: 0.0
Week ending 12/02/2016: 4 participants reported a total loss of 0.0 pounds
amandamechele

Postby dlee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi , I've been here before as well but I need to get back to MWL. I have a bad habit of gaining 5 or 6 lb every time I'm away from home about 1 week,when I can't control what I'm eating. So back to getting the pounds off again. I was 123 this morning and I like to weigh below 118 lbs..sorry I missed the Sat.deadline. I'll post next Sat. before noon. I've been off this site for a bit .What happened to Debbie? thanks Dlee
dlee

Postby amandamechele » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi DLee, welcome back!

No worries about the deadline. With regards to Debbie, I think she was just ready to pass this job on to someone else for a time. I really don't have any more details.

Have a great week, and I hope you are finding the transition back to MWL not too difficult.

For anyone new reading this, here's Dr. McDougall talking about the MWL program: (In a 2 minute McDougall Moment)

http://youtu.be/1udAyTEtT8k
amandamechele

Postby darnold » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:36 am

I'd like to participate this month!
Starting this week at 135! My goal weight is 120
I made a lentil vegetable soup and a sweet potato & kale dish to cover my lunch & dinners for this week. Oatmeal for breakfast, either banana or apple for snack & a protein shake in the afternoon snack.
darnold

Postby amandamechele » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 pm

Welcome darnold! Your food sounds delicious. What do you put in your protein shake?

I was going through my MWL program book today because I needed a reminder of what the program entails. There is a thread in this forum listing everything quite explicitly, but sometimes I just want to look at information the old fashioned way...lol. Feel the pages between my fingers. I, then, took pictures of those pages because I have the new-fangled technology to do so, and I'm going to post them right here as a quick reminder of the program (mostly for me...I constantly want to eat way more fruit then is recommended).

Here they are (just read the first paragraph and then the 10 bolded items and you're good to go!):

Are you all able to read those? Not the best pictures in the world, I know.
I enjoy having a copy of this book, I think it is available at bookstore websites and Amazon too.
amandamechele

Postby darnold » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks! The protein shake is Orgain Organic plant protein powder, no gluten or soy products in it. I work out about 2 hours a day 6 days a week and this just helps :)

Photos are clear enough! I'm the same way, i'd rather open the book and refresh :)
darnold

Postby JeffN » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:53 pm

darnold wrote:Thanks! The protein shake is Orgain Organic plant protein powder, no gluten or soy products in it. I work out about 2 hours a day 6 days a week and this just helps :)

Photos are clear enough! I'm the same way, i'd rather open the book and refresh :)

Hi Darnold

Welcome to the group and good luck with the weigh-ins. Lots of people here to help and support you.

As an FYI, we do not recommend protein powders at all. Not animal or vegetable ones and not for weight loss, weight gain, weight lifting, athletes or anyone.

Dr McDougall has written quite a bit about them so you can easily search these forums, the website and/or the internet to find the information

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby amandamechele » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the clarification! (And for stopping by) :)
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:05 am

I saw this delicious looking recipe on Facebook today, from Chuck Underwood's Brand New Vegan website. I'm pretty sure he frequently joins in on discussions here on the McDougall forums.

I am going to make this next week, because ,boy oh boy, does it look good.
I may use blended potatoes instead of cornstarch as a thickener for my stew, though.

Here's the link to Chuck's amazing website:
Warning: Pre-eat before visiting this site because it may induce the desire to eat right away!! LOL

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/instant-pot-veggie-stew#.WEh9KkMOhSo.facebook
Last edited by amandamechele on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:10 am

darnold wrote: I work out about 2 hours a day 6 days a week

I'm only walking as exercise, at this point. I will eventually add weights, but I'm still making sure I'm steady with what I currently do.
What kind of workout do you do? You must be an athlete of some sort, 2 hours a day is a big workout!
amandamechele

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program