Which McDougall Book?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Which McDougall Book?

Postby Downhill » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello!

Although this site is filled with detailed information, I feel that I would like to work my way through the books. Only thing, I am a bit confused as to which book?

At the moment, I am here primarily for weight loss (and the resultant health benefits) and as I am in Australia, I need to purchase these as e-books.

Is the 1995 'The Mcdougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss' still the primary McDougall book for weight loss, or has it been superseded by other titles? I am finding the abundance of books quite confusing.

Thanks!

D x
Downhill

Re: Which McDougall Book?

Postby OneLeggedPig » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:32 am

I think The Starch Solution is the best for an introduction and general overview of the programme. It's also a very interesting book to read.

Then the maximum weight loss book if needed, after you've read the Starch Solution a few times and have been doing the diet for a while.

Jeff Novick's simple SNAP recipes would also be a good thing to look up, to give you an idea of what kind of very easy and simple healthy meals can be made.
OneLeggedPig

Re: Which McDougall Book?

Postby Katydid » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 am

The Maximum Weight-Loss Book is still the official "diet" book, but Dr. McDougall has backed away from the whole concept of dieting in the last few years. If you read up on Jeff Novick's Calorie Density approach to eating, you'll find that avoiding pasta, for example, isn't really necessary. Once pasta has been cooked in water, it's calorie density approaches that of whole grains.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program