I feel like I'm eating too much

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I feel like I'm eating too much

Postby ashlee10z » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm trying to overcome binge eating and have been following Andrew taylor from Spudfit. I am inspired by his journey and I have been eating potatoes only and it's helped so so much with my binging! Yay! But I feel like I'm eating way too many potatoes and am going to put on weight...I am eating about 2200 calories a day and even up to 3000 calories of just potatoes. I am a 5'6 girl who weighs around 135lbs (I am hoping to lose a little bit), and I don't do too much exercise, mostly walking and going to the gym when I can. Can I really just eat freely as much as I like?
ashlee10z

Re: I feel like I'm eating too much

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:55 am

Of course not. :-) Calories are calories. If you are taking in more calories than you are burning, you will gain weight. If you take in fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. If you take in and burn the same number, your weight remains stable.

I recommend that you reduce the amount of potatoes and make up the bulk with veggies that are low in calorie density--pretty much all greens and all green and yellow veggies. The MWL plan strives to replace some of the veggies that are higher in calorie density (potatoes, rice, etc.) with those that are lower. You can still eat a lot, but you'll be taking in less calories overall.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Katydid » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:16 am

Andre Taylor is a big dude and he spends a good deal of time out on his scooter exercising. He also was a good 200 pounds overweight. You're not going to be able to eat the type of portion sizes he does if you only have a few pounds to lose. Using myself as an example, I am 5'8", 60 years old and have a maintenance weight of 150 pounds. To stay at that weight I eat, on average, 1500 calories a day of whole MWL-style foods and walk for an hour as my primary exercise. EteSelle's advise is correct. Increase the portion of raw and cooked vegetables, and eat sufficient potatoes (or other starch) to satisfy your hunger, without becoming stuffed.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:21 pm

I would also read Jeff's posts on this thread thoroughly: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47637
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:47 am

What else are you eating? Can you post your menu for a couple days? There may be some detail of the MWL plan you are forgetting, such as "half of your food should be non-starchy veggies."

edited to add: I re-read your post and realize that you said you only eat potatoes. For MWL, you must eat veggies too. Please review the guidelines. They are at the top of this MWL section.
Lesliec1

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:10 am

Lesliec1 wrote: There may be some detail of the MWL plan you are forgetting, such as "half of your food should be non-starchy veggies."

Dr. McDougall does say in the book to make green & yellow vegetables 1/3 to half your meal (page 62). Even in MWLP he stresses the starch as key.

Then on page 72/73 he gives this chart for weight loss approaches:
Moderate: 2/3 starch, one third very low calorie salads
Rapid: half starch, half very low calorie salads
Hasty: 1/3 starch and 2/3 very low calorie salads

The Moderate approach is recommended, but if dissatisfied with the rate of weight loss, you can move to the Rapid. The Hasty approach he really doesn't recommend, stating yes, it leads to rapid weight loss, but "may not be the wisest approach for permanent weight loss."

In another area of the book he explains how meals should be sequenced - start with raw vegetables (salad), then a brothy soup, then cooked vegetables, and lastly the starch. If still hungry after this, repeat the sequence.
VeggieSue

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program