Questions about items recommended and not recommended on MWL

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Questions about items recommended and not recommended on

Postby douglerner » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:42 pm

A couple of notes here:

1. Volume isn't pounds. Volume is size and pounds is weight. The calorie density figures are in pounds, so don't directly relate to volume. And the discussion about calorie density in Dr. McDougall's book says research has shown satisfaction is based on weight. It surprised me because one might normally think it has to do with the volume you eat. But calorie density isn't volume.

That's an inconsistency I found regarding Dr. McDougall's demonstrations with glass models of stomachs. For example, consider popcorn. It has a HUGE calorie density. But according to the calorie density theory, it's not filling.

2. About brown rice, I understand. But it just isn't filling for me in reasonable amounts. It's an "appetite trigger". Potatoes are filling, but brown rice isn't. I don't know why, but eating brown rice just makes me want to eat more brown rice. It's not helpful for losing weight for me.

I'm a bit worried because I'm actually slowly gaining weight it seems, after 15 good weeks where I lost about 40 lb. And I still need to lose at least another 40 lb.
douglerner

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program