portable meals? 3 days away from fridge/micro

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

portable meals? 3 days away from fridge/micro

Postby pdenchfield » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:12 am

Friday morning thru Sunday night I'll be at a conference in a very tiny town in the middle of nowhere. The conference offers some vegan foods but they likely won't meet MWL criteria. What can I pack with me that does not require refrigeration or heating? Thanks for any ideas!
pdenchfield

Re: portable meals? 3 days away from fridge/micro

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:20 am

You would probably do well to think of foods that YOU personally like, because things that I'd love to eat, might not be things that you enjoy. Having said that:

1. a can of kidney beans at every meal -- wow, so delicious. Some brands have a pop-top, OR you can bring a can opener.
2. Raw vegetables -- raw red peppers can (and should!) be eaten out of hand, like an apple; corn on the cob can (and should!) be eaten in private, because it's just a frigging mess; sugar snap peas are amazingly good raw, no matter where you are; use your imagination!
3. Overnight oats -- might be a great option, since dry rolled oats travel so well, and everyone has water. "Overnight" could be any species' sleep-time, anywhere from five minutes to eight hours. On a side note, oats can be eaten like cereal, without any soaking, but the end result is somewhat more calorie-dense than the soaked or cooked versions.
4. Fruit -- almost any fruit can be eaten raw with hardly any utensils. Maybe you have to rule out fresh pineapple, or fresh watermelon (hard to pull out of your pocket and prepare it at a conference), but almost anything else is fair game. Fruits like apples and pears travel especially well.

I'm sure there are way more options than the ones that occur to me off the top of my head. Especially -- the American obsession with refrigeration is WAY overstated, so I personally would be comfortable bringing a sack of cooked root vegetables and letting them sit at room temp (or bring ice packs? Everyplace has an ice machine!), but maybe that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Also, I know that bread is a pretty crappy choice for most people, HOWEVER: I am a fan of those super-thin slices of brown German bread that come in packs of 6 slices or so. I mean, they are so dense, that there's no way you're going to wolf them down the way most of us can wolf down sourdough or some nonsense. Also, those packs of brown German bread just SEEM healthy to people, so if you're eating your packaged food in public, no one would raise an eyebrow.

Maybe that'll give you a start? I dunno. There are really no limits to what you can do/bring/make, if you wish to travel with some type of food prep machine (dear lord, some people travel with their instantpot, which is SOOOOO frigging heavy, but I can see traveling with a cheap, small rice cooker, or a small hot water kettle.).

LEt us know what you come up with! :)
roundcoconut

Postby Katydid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:13 am

When I used to have to travel a lot for work, I would bring packs of instant oatmeal, packs of raisins, McDougall Right Foods soup and meal cups (ones without noodles or pasta), some spices - and this is important- an unbreakable bowl and plastic spoons. I have yet to be in a hotel where you don't have a coffee machine to boil water. When it comes time for lunch, just ask the waitstaff for a teapot of hot water. Note: While raisins aren't part of MWL, they're portable and aren't going to derail your diet over a three day period. Just buy the mini boxes to control portion size.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby pdenchfield » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:44 pm

Thank you both for the marvelous suggestions! I am less than a week away from the trip now. Here's what I have prepared so far.

canned Veg-All (peas, corn, other veg) x2
canned beans (variations of stewed/chili beans) x6
instant rice x2
McDougall instant split pea soup x2
German bread (this will be my first flour product in 2 months - a kind of treat I guess)
brown rice cakes
fresh veggies: bell pepper, carrot, kale
thinking about making some classic dijon vinaigrette (oil-free - I love this sauce) - at least it will be good the first day
it would be nice to bring a kind of spread for the bread/cakes... need to think on that one.
bragg's aminos
nutritional yeast
some kinds of spices? salt and pepper, cumin, crushed red pepper
cooler to sit in my car outside the conference
unbreakable bowl, spoon, fork; can opener; electric tea kettle in case I need it

I forgot to mention that the B&B will provide plain oatmeal with fresh fruit for my breakfasts. So yeah I'm feeling pretty prepared now!

THANKS AGAIN!

Pamela, age 46
started 7/4/2016 at 161 and size 8/10, now 152 and size 8, goal is 135 or size 6
pdenchfield

Postby Maer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:33 pm

Just saw this post. What is this German bread that you're referring to? Do you have to buy it in a health food store? Does it have oil or a lot of salt? I hope not! It sounds like it could be good with beans.

Is there a brand I should look for?

Thanks,
Maer
Maer

Postby pdenchfield » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:50 am

Hi! The German bread I bought at the local coop is "Bavarian Breads" "Organic Whole Rye Bread" - includes some salt, and I suppose it's a flour product, but as a "cheat" portable food it's closer to the spirit of MWL than a lot of options out there.

Here's a link to the bread from an online store.

http://www.iherb.com/bavarian-breads-organic-whole-rye-bread-17-6-oz-500-g/31894

Hope this helps,
Pamela
pdenchfield

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program