"How can I help you?"

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

"How can I help you?"

Postby Arlean » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Intro first... I've cooked vegan, plant-based, low-fat for the last 35 years for my husband and children but have personally always struggled with the common addictive foods, sugar, fat and salt. I've jokingly said that I'm half-bulimic, I binge on the aforementioned triad but avoid purging. No way. So, here I am at the cusp of my 59th year at a whopping 100lbs overweight and "healthy". A time-bomb waiting to go off and earnestly seeking to change this around. 6 months ago I started gradually changing some eating patterns and behaviors. A month and a half ago, I shifted into high gear and started the MWL program. So far, I've left 25lbs behind me. I love how well this works! It's worked before and I know it will work again. (Yes, I'm a retread)

On Fri. I discovered, via Dr. McDougall's email that he has an MD son living and practicing here in my area. Today I have my first appt. with Dr. Craig McDougall. YES!!! One question that he kept asking me is, "How can I help you?". Yeah, a rather duh question but I had not thought out answer. I was befuddled by it. "Fix me, dammit!" came to mind but hey, let's be sane and reasonable. LOL!

So, you're here, you know what this is all about and what it's like. I know you do. If you were asked this question from a medical doctor that practiced lifestyle medicine, what would your answer be?

"How can I help you?"

Making it happen!
Arlean
Arlean

Re: "How can I help you?"

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:19 am

Lucky you to be able to have Dr. Craig as your MD! We'd all love that!

That's an interesting question for a doctor to ask. But you're not like a lot of his patients--you already KNOW what to do. You know the rules of the McDougall plan, MWL, etc. There isn't really much he CAN do, other than be there if you have questions. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Re: "How can I help you?"

Postby geo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:41 pm

Doctor: How can I help you?

Me: Look Doc, I already follow the program to the T for x number of years (blah, blah, blah....here's what I do and how I'm feeling today...long discussion ensues).

Me: Tell me how I'm doing Doc. Give me a full blood panel workup, a full cardio/inflammation/blood sugar workup, and any other important biomarker tests (vit D, B12) and let me know how I'm really doing and if you see any real or potential issues. Then tell me what more I can do if you find any issues.
-------------------------------------------

Bottomline, he's your new doctor so start fresh. Give him everything you can about you and then let him check you out to establish a known baseline. He will be much appreciative to understand you and your health so he can treat you as best he can. Follow up appointments will be so much easier for the both you and be speedier. Do the work up front and let him know how much you appreciate what he says...respect will flow both ways and you'll make his day and yours :nod:

Good doctors can be surprisingly difficult to find so when you find one, culture that relationship...he will as happy to see you (his success) as you are to see him (as healthy as you can be).
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program