Indian-style recipes for MWL?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Indian-style recipes for MWL?

Postby pdenchfield » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi all, I love cooking with Indian spices, curry leaves, and the like. Now that I'm avoiding oil like the plague, it's a bit harder to enjoy these - anyone with suggestions that might approach Indian-style recipes? Thanks!
pdenchfield

Re: Indian-style recipes for MWL?

Postby Plumerias » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:36 pm

Oh, a popular topic!!! Really, it's not that difficult at all, and once you get used to it, it's really quite easy. AND, you'll find that the tastes spectacular, not muddied by the fats. So when you have time, use the search engine, look in the Food & Recipes section above, and/or just play. Or ask more questions in F&R. Here's a few threads to get you started, one of which demonstrates that it is indeed possible. Have fun!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51788&p=531168&hilit=indian#p531168

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51176&hilit=indian

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51307&p=526113&hilit=indian#p526113

One of the simplest recipes that I have, which I got from a cooking class years ago, is a versatile favorite. Originally it was just corn, but I generally do mixed veggies, just because. No measurements........

Keep a glass of water handy so nothing burns, always do this. Saute (with a little water as needed) some diced onion, minced ginger, and cumin seeds go into the pan. Add whatever veggies you want. Just before serving stir in some chopped cilantro and diced tomatoes. You know that shallow pasta/soup bowl you have, that's how much I make. It's a great recipe for using up a little of this and that. Just the other day I had some green and yellow beans, carrot, an ear of corn, a small zucchini and a few tomatoes that really needed to be used.
Plumerias

Postby pdenchfield » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Thanks much! I have Madhur Jaffrey's vegetarian book and Vegan Richa's vegan book. Trying out recipes without oil and had some misses. I'll keep trying! And the links you included are very helpful :)
pdenchfield

Postby Arlean » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:36 pm

I cooked up a batch of this today with a bit more garam masala, salt and red pepper flakes. Served over brown jasmine rice...DELISH!!!!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/07/fa ... tadka.html

ONWARD!!!
Arlean

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program