Plateau broken....Doubling down

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Plateau broken....Doubling down

Postby Dalton » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:01 am

After ridding myself of my stubborness to eliminate creamer from my coffee and stop eating the hidden sugars, oils and fats, my weight started rolling off very quickly. I lost another 7lbs in two weeks. 16 more pounds and I hit goal weight. I've been threatening to post a pic (I will), just want to feel comfortable first with my image.

I've not worn a single pair of jeans in a decade. Looking forward to that 31" waist. I'm following McDougall to the T. now. I can't get past 1300 calories a day eating this clean, so it really helped me out. You just can't compare a vegetable calorie to a crappy food calorie. They are so different and the little things slowed me down.

Oh, during the 4th I flubbed big time. I ended up eating an entire cherry pie. Had gained a few pounds back. That guilt forced me back to my senses.

The BMI chart says I should weigh 160.......no way in hell. 172 is about all I can give without looking gaunt. Besides, I'm, in the gym everyday now and hopefully that will offset the "skinnyness" look. Should happen by end of Sept. Will keep you posted. 6', 188lbs and winning.

Have a great day everyone!
Dalton

Re: Plateau broken....Doubling down

Postby Chikiwing » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 am

Dalton wrote:After ridding myself of my stubborness to eliminate creamer from my coffee and stop eating the hidden sugars, oils and fats, my weight started rolling off very quickly. I lost another 7lbs in two weeks. 16 more pounds and I hit goal weight. I've been threatening to post a pic (I will), just want to feel comfortable first with my image.

I've not worn a single pair of jeans in a decade. Looking forward to that 31" waist. I'm following McDougall to the T. now. I can't get past 1300 calories a day eating this clean, so it really helped me out. You just can't compare a vegetable calorie to a crappy food calorie. They are so different and the little things slowed me down.

Oh, during the 4th I flubbed big time. I ended up eating an entire cherry pie. Had gained a few pounds back. That guilt forced me back to my senses.

The BMI chart says I should weigh 160.......no way in hell. 172 is about all I can give without looking gaunt. Besides, I'm, in the gym everyday now and hopefully that will offset the "skinnyness" look. Should happen by end of Sept. Will keep you posted. 6', 188lbs and winning.

Have a great day everyone!

Wow, I think that's great! Congratulations on your success. I have no doubt you'll make it through the little bit of work that is left. :)

And, if you're 6 feet-tall at 172 pounds while doing weight training in the gym...I think that's really good. It is much better to be 6 feet-tall with some muscles and strength than 6 feet-tall and 160 pounds, weak, skin and bones.

“Americanism, not Globalism, will be our credo!”― Donald J. Trump
Chikiwing

Postby Dalton » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Wow, I think that's great! Congratulations on your success. I have no doubt you'll make it through the little bit of work that is left. :)

And, if you're 6 feet-tall at 172 pounds while doing weight training in the gym...I think that's really good. It is much better to be 6 feet-tall with some muscles and strength than 6 feet-tall and 160 pounds, weak, skin and bones.

Image[/quote]

Thanks! It's nice to see the light.
Dalton

Postby PJK » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:54 am

BMI is not always reliable, especially if you're lifting weights. Dr. Michael Greger has a recent video saying a better measure is the waist-to-height ratio. That is, your waist measurement should be less than half your height.

So for ex., let's say you're 6 feet tall. That's 72 inches, so your waist should measure no more than 36 inches and ideally less.

Hope that helps, and here's the link to the vid:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/keep-your-waist-circumference-to-less-than-half-your-height/
PJK

Postby geo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Before you criticise BMI too much I would suggest you read up on it a bit. Jeff has this week posted more new studies on BMI versus other measures such as body fat measurements and waist to height, waist to hip, etc... and how they fair against various measures of specific disease rates and mortality.

Take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52375&p=539429#p539429

read the last 4-5 posts as several new references are given.

And of course the original Optimal BMI thread is a great read: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6916

Remember, BMI does have issues at the extremes of the bell curve, but it was never ment to cover acurately ALL cases. Its ment to be an accurate yet very simple to make measurement that coorelates very well with health (including measures of various disease rates and overall mortality). For that, there is nothing really better for the general population within that 90% area under the bell curve. If you want to use other measures, and can do them acurately, more power to you. But for the vast majority of folks, BMI is still the best , easiest, accurate measure you can use to gauge health.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Dalton » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:25 am

PJK wrote:BMI is not always reliable, especially if you're lifting weights. Dr. Michael Greger has a recent video saying a better measure is the waist-to-height ratio. That is, your waist measurement should be less than half your height.

So for ex., let's say you're 6 feet tall. That's 72 inches, so your waist should measure no more than 36 inches and ideally less.

Hope that helps, and here's the link to the vid:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/keep-your-waist-circumference-to-less-than-half-your-height/

All I can tell you is that of today, I am 184 lbs with a 34" waist. I've got a long torso and I do have fine features. When in peak condition at 6 feet tall, my waist at the lowest can get to 28". The charts in my estimation are way off.
Dalton

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program