introducing myself

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

introducing myself

Postby pdenchfield » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:36 pm

I am excited to clean up my diet / eating style with McDougall's suggestions!

Where I am now: I am a middle-aged woman, 5'4", 160 pounds at last weighing (2.5 weeks ago). I live a sedentary life style (although I do have a standing desk at work - yay). I generally fit a size 10. (Was a size 8 till a couple years ago.) I feel generally healthy but I'm worried about my weight. I have been vegan since 2009 but not watching oils or other rich foods, such as mayo and "cream cheese." Went to a "healthy eating" workshop recently that was a total joke - talk of the blood type diet and so forth - but one thing I learned is my BMI is too high! 35.8%. Can't lie to myself any more. Also got my blood test results back. While almost everything looks really good (cholesterol numbers, blood pressure, protein markers excellent), my Vitamin D is on the low end (I need to get better about taking my vitamins) and my TSH level is at 3.2, which is high in the narrow range, indicating hypothyroidism. However, I don't have symptoms of hypothyroidism, so right now the main thing I'm doing is reiki/energy work weekly plus starting an exercise program.

Where I want to go: I would like to get to 135 pounds and go down to a size 6 or 8. I would like my vitamin D and TSH levels to be normal range and nothing to worry about.

Changes I've made: I started implementing the McDougall diet over the 4th of July weekend. So for a little more than a week, I've been filling up on whole starches and NO OIL - a new concept for me. I'm enjoying the food! Simplicity ... main issue is finding a meal for my fussy husband, too. I haven't weighed myself yet but I definitely see a difference in how my clothes fit :) Also starting the exercise program: For July my goal is at least 20 minutes of sustained activity, 3-4 times a week, which could be a yoga class, walking around town, or my new desk cycle. Maybe in August I'll increase my exercise goals. :)

Nice to meet you!
Pamela
pdenchfield

Re: introducing myself

Postby OneLeggedPig » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:25 am

Good to meet you- best of luck with your changes. The resources on this website are fantastic.
OneLeggedPig

Postby DWu » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Welcome pdenchfield.

Are you able to get sunlight instead of taking vitamin D pills?

Congrats on your success thus far, and good luck with your new goals!
DWu

Postby pdenchfield » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks, Dwu! I live up north, so getting Vitamin D from the sun is not a good method.

I weighed myself. Lost 5 pounds! Then went back up a pound, and haven't been able to shake it yet... but clothes are fitting nicely!
pdenchfield

Postby DWu » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Congrats on the weight loss! Fluctuations may come and go. Hopefully it's just temporary. As long as you stick to the program, you'll be focusing on the thing that's within your control - getting the food right.

Keep it up!
DWu

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program