New to Discussion Board MWL

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New to Discussion Board MWL

Postby DeborahAnn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:52 am

Hello, everyone. I wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking for quite awhile. I am really liking the MWL plan. Some days, it morphs into just the regular plan, such as last night when I went out to dinner and had pasta. But basically, I seem to do best when I stick to the potatoes, rice and legumes. I am at the beginning of this, and still have cashew milk in my tea, but that is not throwing me over the 10 percent fat range, and I figure it will always be something I can toss later, if necessary. My migraines are already better. They seem to be triggered by high sugar foods, maybe gluten, and even oil, I think! My blood pressure has really spiked in the last year, and I am also hoping that it will go down as well. Just a few weeks ago, I added a mile walk daily, and it feels great! I don't like the walk as much as the effects afterwards. It really does help to know that you have been out there doing something physical, and it makes it much easier to stick to my plan. I would like to lose about 60 pounds. I have been losing about two pounds a week so far, and I feel GREAT! Carbs just make me so happy! This way of eating is the ultimate antidepressant! I have been plant based for a few years, and it is sad, because my husband and I no longer eat together, as we do not eat the same food. My husband just figures that drugs will help him, and that he is genetically predisposed to a heart attack, and that there is nothing that he can do about it. He says he would rather die than eat food without all of the cheese, meat and oil that he eats, and guess what! You guessed it - he will! I am hoping that he will see my success and be more inspired to change some of his eating habits, but as everyone probably already knows, that needs to be his decision. The good thing is that my son that is still home with us eats the way that I do, primarily, and my husband has welcomed "vegan night" when I cook for us. Also, aside from the oil, butter, eggs, meat and cheese, he does not really keep other kinds of junk foods in the house, so I am not tempted by anything in our home, which is great.
DeborahAnn

Re: New to Discussion Board MWL

Postby anja » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:00 am

Hello and Welcome!
great to hear that you handle the program so well. And I'm sure, that your man will come to your side over time, when your food looks so much more colourful, vibrant, delicious (than his dead stuff) and you show him that you feel way better :)
if health is a rainbow - food is one color of it
http://www.colorfuleating.com
anja

Postby DeborahAnn » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks, Anja! As you know, we all have to decide for ourselves. My cholesterol has already gone down 40 points in the past two years just from eating plant based. I can hardly wait to have it tested again in three months! My husband says my blood pressure went down because I am lucky with my genes! Ha! But you know, we all see what we want to see and as you say, ultimately he will come around. The food that I cook tastes bland to him, as his food is always jacked up with the oil and the meat. Salads always have cheese and ranch dressing, you get the picture.
DeborahAnn

Postby hope101 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:28 am

Welcome, DeborahAnn. I live in a "blended family", too. It's been interesting to see over the years how certain family member's habits have migrated toward McDougalling despite their theoretical resistance. IMHO the key has been creating an environment that makes it easier to do the healthier thing--for me and for them, LOL. Nagging, as I'm sure you've observed, is counterproductive.
DeborahAnn wrote: I don't like the walk as much as the effects afterwards. It really does help to know that you have been out there doing something physical, and it makes it much easier to stick to my plan.

Are you familiar with Dr. Lisle's work? I've always known exercise is a keystone habit for me; if I do it, I'm more likely to eat well, tackle difficult work tasks, etc. He explains why: it's not something you can undo. (I'm paraphrasing, as I understand his work.) Once you've done that mile, you've done that mile and get to own the self-esteem that comes from it, whereas one off-plan meal can undermine the success (and self-image) of the on-plan meals that came before.

Anyway, welcome.
hope101

Postby DeborahAnn » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:27 am

While i have not met Dr.Lisle in person, I have read everything he has written that I could find and of course watched all of the videos, and his interviews with Chef AJ. How AWESOME does she look? I think what he says on plateauing - that there really isn't a plateau, but a point where diet and energy expenditures meet - makes a lot of sense to me. That is why I am keeping cashew milk in my diet, and a few other things (no oil), so that I still have something to take away further down the road, if need be!
DeborahAnn

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program