McDougall Store-Bought Soups OK?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall Store-Bought Soups OK?

Postby lauratrombley » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:14 am

I belong to a FB MWL and Mary's Mini support group, and we had a question (well, I did, but the whole group is interested in the answer). Here's what I posted to our group yesterday:

I forgot to get my bag of rice out of the freezer to take to work for lunch. I just ate some corn and peas that I'd taken to put on the rice! I also had some baby carrots and cut up cucumber slices. But then I got hungry mid-afternoon (I'm on the MWL at this point) and pulled out a Lentil Couscous McDougall soup from my stash at work and ate that. I'm not so sure it's on the diet, but for future reference, thought I'd ask everyone what they thought about his soups when doing the MWL ??

No one could answer - so I said I'd come here and ask!!

Thanks in advance for answers!!

Laura
lauratrombley

Re: McDougall Store-Bought Soups OK?

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:21 am

Depends on the soup, but all exceed Jeff's sodium guidelines as far as I know.

The main feature that distinguishes MWL for me is the elimination of all flours, which includes pasta. So lentil couscous would be out because couscous is pasta. The various noodle cups (my favorites) are out. The black bean and split pea soups should be OK, but I don't have the ingredients in front of me.

Always read the labels, even if McDougall's picture is on it. Not all foods are appropriate for all people. Review the MWL guidelines as needed.

Ultimately, you have to decide if "following the rules" exactly as written is most important, or following the "spirit" of the rules. Following the rules to the letter is a great place to start, and it can cut down on decisions, which cost energy. Check the food, not on plan? Move on. Following the spirit means understanding calorie density, and how to use it. It also means being able to see the bigger picture of one's overall diet over time. Slip up with some overly calorie dense or pleasure trap style foods? Then dilute out the calories, at the same meal, or in subsequent meals.
vgpedlr

Postby lauratrombley » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:28 am

Thanks vgpdlr! I'll block and copy that onto our FB support group so they can all see your answer. Good point about the couscous. It was his low-sodium variety, and I seem to have done okay with it. But good points!
lauratrombley

Postby roundcoconut » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:49 am

Agree 100% with vgpedlr!

I would add that a good way to decide what to eat is to ask, "Is there a healthier option available to me?" If yes, then choose to eat the healthier options. I think that is what we mean by "following the spirit of" the whole foods approach. A cup of broccoli and a sweet potato would be more filling, less processed and lower in calorie density. More nutrients, more fiber, less sodium.

If your diet mentality tells you, "But there's only X number of calories in the McDougall cup!", then I would say that that's one of those weird mindsets to let go of. Get that broccoli into your system! Get that sweet potato into your stomach! These are the whole natural foods that lead to improved bone health, improved kidney health, improved heart health, improved liver health (do I have to go on, and name every single organ system in the body?). You get the point!

When you are in a situation where the McDougall cup is your best, healthiest option, then eat it and feel good about yourself! If you are able to supplement that with a bag of (defrosted) frozen Brussels sprouts, then do that! If you are able to eat a few apples in addition, then I would see that as a way to improve the overall nutritional content of the meal.

But I would say, use that guideline of "choose the healthiest option that is possible for you in each situation". If advance planning opens up better options to you, then take advantage of those options. If life throws you curveballs and your options aren't perfect, don't skip a beat or lose your stride, just choose wisely from the available options.

This'll seem totally obvious to you in another month or so! But it takes a sec to get the mentality down. :)
roundcoconut

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:50 pm

As an FYI to the OP, if you are taking about the dehydrated "cups," that you add hot water too, the flavor packet in them, which contains all the sodium, is separate and you have to add it. So, for those wanting to meet my sodium guidelines, you can add half (or 1/3 or 1/4) of the packet and still get lots of flavor while meeting the guideline.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby lauratrombley » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:14 pm

Thank you for taking time to reply roundcoconut and Jeff! I like your solution Jeff, and will have to try that!

In my situation, I make my brown rice by the crockpot full, and freeze them, 1-1/2 cups to a ziplock bag. That makes it easy to grab in the morning when I'm getting ready for work. That day I had packed some frozen corn and broccoli to put on top of the rice, with freshly cut up cucumber and baby carrots as a 'side dish' for lunch.

Except I ran out the door and Forgot to get the rice out of the freezer - which I didn't discover until lunch time. So, I had my carrots/peas and my cucumber/baby carrot side dish and called it good. BUT, mid-afternoon, I was hungry (and still at work). I had one dehydrated soup cup (the lentil couscous, low sodium) leftover in my stash at work from last winter. So I pulled that out and ate it.

I think that fits the 'spirit' of the way of eating, and certainly worked to keep me going until I got home for my regular sweet potato dinner. But I got to wondering about the soup cups themselves, and if they would be considered ok during a MWL period of eating.

It sounds like the answer is basically no. :-)

But, next time I have one of these (probably next winter at this point as I use them when I don't have time to make my own soups), I'm going to try having just 1/2 the flavor packet!

Again, I appreciate your time to respond and your good thinking!!
lauratrombley

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:32 am

If you look at the MWL guidelines that are posted at the top of this section, the cups should be allowed, unless I'm missing something.

I just wanted to clarify that there's the McDougall plan which doesn't prohibit salt and sugar and then there's what people choose to do within that. A lot of people don't eat sugar and salt at all but it's not a rule.

I've had the cups a couple of times and I used part of the spice packet.
Lesliec1

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:42 am

Lesliec1 wrote:If you look at the MWL guidelines that are posted at the top of this section, the cups should be allowed, unless I'm missing something.

Many of them do have noodles in them, so those wouldn't be MWLP.
VeggieSue

Postby lauratrombley » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks Leslie and veggiesue. I do watch any added sugar and salt, but my basic question was allowability on MWL. I think you're right veggiesue about those with noodles. Those with rice, or perhaps Split Pea, with no added starch such as noodles or rice, I'm guessing might be okay then?
lauratrombley

Postby Katydid » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:31 pm

The black bean and split pea would be fine, and are great over a baked white or sweet potato.
Many of the premade soups in the square boxes are also fine.

Here's the website so you can get a list of the offerings and ingredients. Remember no pasta and no nuts.

http://shop.rightfoods.com/

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby lauratrombley » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks Katydid. :-)
lauratrombley

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program