Starting

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Starting

Postby jill08 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:01 am

Hello!

Today I've received The Maximum weight loss program.
I am very excited to start! I am not overweight but I do want to lose some weight!
I am really curious to see how it will work out, eating as much as you want.
I will be starting by following the 21 day plan, to get me on the right track. It's so interesting to be eating so many potatoes a day!! There were months where I would not have any... Hopefully I Will see Some overall results fast because I am very motivated by all the stories. :-D
jill08

Re: Starting

Postby roundcoconut » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Welcome. Don't forget to click on the sticky post "Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines", because there are a lot of guidelines to keep people from going beyond their caloric needs!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620

"Eat until satisfied" is one, or as Jeff Novick phrases it, "Eat until comfortably full." The idea "Eat as much as you want" has been discussed here many times, and although some plant-based doctors are a little sloppy in telling people to eat freely, they've occasionally had to clarify that they don't mean to go too far beyond your hunger drive, too frequently.

So, depending on how much activity and exercise you are getting, you may not need more than a plateful of 1/2 potatoes, 1/2 vegetables, at each meal. Especially if you are not overweight, then try not to overdo it on even the fruit or the starches. If you DO need so many potatoes a day, that will become clear to you over time. When first starting out, pick a moderate portion for each meal, and then see how your body feels and see whether the scale is drifting upwards or downwards.

Maybe I'm just telling you stuff you already know??? Monitor yourself during the first couple of weeks, and read as much as you can in that guidelines thread, so that you get it pretty much right from the beginning!

Good luck! :)
roundcoconut

Postby jill08 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:31 am

Thank you.
I did read trough it, as most of the website haha.

The only thing I am wondering is, in the recipes It goes by servings. So a recipe could be for 6 servings. Does that still mean I just make the recipe, just guess how much of it I want to eat (1/2 starch, 1/2 veg?).

And when I eat till I am full but feel good about, I stop and wait 20 min. and see if I want more?

I just want to do this right. It seems like a lot of food haha.

Sorry for any mistakes, not a native speaker.
jill08

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:35 am

jill08 wrote:Thank you.
I did read trough it, as most of the website haha.

The only thing I am wondering is, in the recipes It goes by servings. So a recipe could be for 6 servings. Does that still mean I just make the recipe, just guess how much of it I want to eat (1/2 starch, 1/2 veg?).

And when I eat till I am full but feel good about, I stop and wait 20 min. and see if I want more?

I just want to do this right. It seems like a lot of food haha.

Sorry for any mistakes, not a native speaker.

Unless you really have a problem like over-eating, you should not need to worry about quantities too much. If you feel like you are really over eating, maybe post your food for a few days. That might help you get some support.

I am a big eater and if I stick to the 50% non-starchy veg rule, I still lose.
Lesliec1

Postby jill08 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Thank you

I don't think I have a problem with overeating just need to learn when I'm full and recognize that.
I just follow the meal plan from the book, I guess that's fine!
jill08

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:24 pm

For what it's worth, I've always just eyeballed my quantities (as far as how much to prepare for myself or to serve myself) and then eat all that I've made/taken.

It just kinda keeps life easier that way.

You kinda just get to know over time, about how much food you will need to feel you've had plenty, but not so much that you can't finish it all.

I can eat four tomatoes in one sitting, but not eight. I stuck a half bag of pinto beans in the crockpot once, which was WAY too much once cooked. I have a mug inside my bag of white rice (maybe 2/3 cup dry measure?) that I use to measure out a single portion. But whatever I make, I eat, and don't worry too much about whether I am "under" or "over" the hunger drive.

The scale will give you feedback as well, as to whether you're eating too much or too little.

Hope that is useful. I couldn't honestly tell you that much about my hunger drive, and it's very hard to pin down for a lot of us. It's very emotionally driven and cognitively driven as well!
roundcoconut

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program