Buckwheat on MWL program?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Buckwheat on MWL program?

Postby Vera » Mon May 23, 2016 10:30 am

I wonder why buckwheat is omitted from the list of allowed foods for MWL? Or have I missed it? In Europe it is considered one of the healthiest food options and specifically recommended for diabetics. I wonder if buckwheat is not mentioned because it's not very popular in US or there are some reservations in regards to consuming it while losing weight? To me buckwheat sounds like a better option than rice. More vitamins, more taste...
Last edited by Vera on Sun May 29, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vera

Re: Buckwheat on MWL program?

Postby JeffN » Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 am

Vera wrote:I wonder why buckwheat is omitted from the list of allowed foods for MWL? Or I have missed it? In Europe it is considered one of the healthiest food options and specifically recommended for diabetics. I wonder if buckwheat is not mentioned because it's not very popular in US or there are some reservations in regards to consuming it while losing weight? To me buckwheat sounds like a better option than rice. More vitamins, more taste...

The list is a sample. There are 100's of types and varieties of whole grains. Any intact whole grain is allowed and acceptable on the MWL program, including buckwheat. Buckwheat is one of my personal favorites and I include a family recipe for it in my Fast Food Vol IV: Beyond the Basics. (I think they recipe has been posted in the forums here too)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Vera » Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 am

Thank you Jeff! I'm glad to hear that. Hope more people will discover the benefits of buckwheat :)
Vera

Postby VeggieSue » Mon May 23, 2016 11:59 am

JeffN wrote: Buckwheat is one of my personal favorites and I include a family recipe for it in my Fast Food Vol IV: Beyond the Basics. (I think they recipe has been posted in the forums here too)

I know you have it on your Facebook album Simple Daily Recipes, but won't link to it here because it contains pasta, a product not allowed on MWLP. It *is* very tasty and a favorite of my husband's, though.
VeggieSue

Postby JeffN » Mon May 23, 2016 12:45 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
JeffN wrote: Buckwheat is one of my personal favorites and I include a family recipe for it in my Fast Food Vol IV: Beyond the Basics. (I think they recipe has been posted in the forums here too)

I know you have it on your Facebook album Simple Daily Recipes, but won't link to it here because it contains pasta, a product not allowed on MWLP. It *is* very tasty and a favorite of my husband's, though.

Ah yes, one of our minor differences.

I include whole grain pasta in my recommendations for weight loss because unlike most other processed whole grains that have been made into flour, the calorie density of whole grain pasta is the same as whole grain brown rice. The reason is, it absorbs so much water during the cooking process and I always recommend it with the 50/50 guideline of non-starchy veggies.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby graciezoe » Thu May 26, 2016 1:16 pm

I love buckwheat!!!
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

Starting weight on 3/2014 was 304 lbs
Weight as of 4/2016 is 114 lbs
graciezoe

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program