can somebody help me please

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

can somebody help me please

Postby Betties » Tue May 03, 2016 5:05 am

I'm really sorry for the way i write in Enlish. I'm from the Netherherlands, doing my best... Please forgive me for it.
I've been on the McDougall programm from july 2015. Before i was boulimic for over 20 years. It's a miracle this way of living for me, finally i found the solution and i hold on to it with both hands and feet.
I'm a female, 44 years, coming from a major 'Burn out'. Totally broke down my energy and health.
My weight is 84 kilo. That makes me overweight. Since i started 'the Starch solution' i don't seem to lose weight and that is very frustrating. I also don't seem to gain my energy back. Don't gain weight either, but i was hoping that i would lose some and regain my health back over time. Becaurse of the very long period of the binging and purging before i can imagine my body had to adjust, but now after 8 months i expected some improvement. I'm very 'sleepy' during the day. Not after meals but all day. I eat between half to a third of a plate of veggies and half starches. Never sugar, no white flower, only brown rice etc. I don't excercise a lot, but becaurse i have no car, i have to go by bike every where i go (that's very common in the Netherlands). And i walk around an hour a day. I don't work becaurse my health doesn't allow it.
I used to have beginning artritis. I have to say that that has gone away. No more pain. And i feel so very blessed that my eating discorder left when i began to eat the Starch solution. But i hoped to gain more energy and lose a bit of that extra weight. It brings me positive things, but sometimes i find it hard to read so many people seem to gain so much more since i'm doing all i can. Can anybody tell me if this is common after having health problems for so long. Does anybody recognise this at all?
Thank you very much for responds..
kind regards, Betty
Betties

Re: can somebody help me please

Postby xkitten » Tue May 03, 2016 7:17 am

What do you typically eat in a day?
xkitten

Postby roundcoconut » Tue May 03, 2016 8:34 am

Were you being prescribed any medications during your long, long bout with bulimic eating patterns? Prescription medications for mental-emotional conditions seem to have the worst reputation -- horrible side effects if you take them, and then horrible side effects if you go off them. -- I've heard some horror stories from people who were prescribed medication for misdiagnosed bipolar disorder, with horrible consequences. Also, people who are prescribed anti-depressants can have a crappy experience when the type or dosage of the anti-depressant prescribed, causes horrible side effects.

The second thing I would look at, is whether there are foods that you are eating that are not tolerated by your body. People who seem to have unexplained chronic fatigue -- I wonder if there are foods that your body responds poorly to, some food sensitivities.

Do either of those sound like they might explain these symptoms of chronic fatigue and feelings of hopelessness/helplessness?

It doesn't seem like a good place to be, and I'd love to see you get some clarity on where to go from here!
roundcoconut

Postby Betties » Wed May 04, 2016 6:00 am

a common day for me begins with oakmeal cooked in water. For lunch often the same, sometimes whole grain bread and a banana or some spinaze. For dinner potatoes cooked in water or oilfree fried in the oven. With vegetables or brown rice, sweet potatoes, or other whole starches with vegetables. My intake over the day is between 1500 - 2000 kcal. I eat some fruits weekly, not even daily because sugars trigger my body to overeat. On, sometimes two oranges a week and a few bananas. No oil, no nuts, no fats not even avocado's. Stopped coffee months ago.
I don't use any medication, only long ago in the past. I've been taking anticoncept medicins for about 10 years but that's also a long time ago. Anti depressions that i took in the past indeed had a terrible outcome, i became suicidle and my behavior was really strange. So i decided that i would never take those again.
Maybe i should try the elimination diet. Since i react very heavy on sugar or 'white' starches it coud be possible that my body responses on other foods as wel. I shoud try that.
Something else that could perhaps be a problem is that i am 44 and hidding premenopause?
However, i think it is striking that i became so tired after beginning the starch solution and after stopping the boulimic 'activities'.

thank you for your responses!
Betties

Postby roundcoconut » Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 am

The food you're eating sounds super healthy. As you know people often eat plant-based but eat a version w/ fewer whole natural foods. Your version sounds full of whole natural foods, and I am happy to see that! I just wish you weren't feeling fatigue and discouragement. (Everything you are experiencing sounds unlike pre-menopause to me; I would tend to rule that out.)

I HAVE known people who've had to abstain from, say, soy, corn, gluten and strawberries, and experienced excellent health once they were able to get those foods fully and completely out of their system. If that turns out to be the case with you -- meaning you find that you have some types of food sensitivities -- then that would be worth knowing. If I were you, I would pursue an elimination diet -- it would be very much worth the effort to me! An elimination diet sounds like a total pain in the ass, but you only have to do it once, and then you can enjoy the benefits for many, many years.

Have you had your thyroid checked? Symptoms of low thyroid might have something to do with massive fatigue.

Another thing that might be worth trying, would be brisk exercise. There is a fairly famous guy (Tom Peters) who says that he goes on a 5-mile brisk walk every day, and that is his anti-depressant. Before that level of exercise, he experienced the hopelessness and helplessness symptoms of semi-clinical depression.

I wouldn't necessarily tackle all those things at once -- just try an avenue and see if it is the right one!

You are really doing so many thing well, and I hope you feel proud of yourself for what you've accomplished. You are like a marathon runner who has trained well, but is dealing with a small but temporary injury. All the worrk you have done so far, WILL lead you to the energy and the size you want to have, but you will still need to put in a tiny bit of work to reach your tipping point. From there, things will start to be much easier, and the ball will start to roll downhill for you.

Please see your struggles as temporary and overcome-able! I really believe they are.

I don't want to totally ignore the part about how your weight hasn't dropped -- it's just that I believe you will be able to move the scale number a bit once you have better well-being and better energy levels. I really do believe you will succeed, and hope you can push through the little challenges that are coming at you, by knowing that there IS a way forward, you just need to find it.
roundcoconut

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:30 am

Some people have trouble with grains and energy. Just for an experiment, can you eat only potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, corn as your starch. Only for a few days to see if it makes a difference? If so, experiment further. It could be the wheat or one of the other grains.

OR, maybe you just need more time. I was tired for a long time in the beginning.

I don't know why you wouldn't lose weight but I would add more green vegetables.
Lesliec1

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program