Plateau's, fat rolls and Random dribble

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Plateau's, fat rolls and Random dribble

Postby Dalton » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:59 am

I'm on my second plateau. The first one lasted a month and a half. I'm near goal weight, so I know this is going to be the toughest part. Those last twenty are stubborn. Like the first one, I'll just ride this out as patiently as I did the first.

My stomach, sides and man breasts were most noticeable in the beginning. I had a stomach as big as a basketball. As I lost the weight, the fat went down to a pad and now it's down to a pinchable 3" roll. The love handles are gone. The man boobs are fairly deflated now, but a little more to go.

Staying off the scale for now. My doctors scale and my nuclear powered space age scale were 9 lbs out of sync. I'll let my clothes tell me how I'm doing for the next few weeks. I have very few trousers (all elastic waistbands) left to wear now. Dropped down from XXl to Lg. It was embarrassing to have your pants fall down as you walk. This really happened to me. Shirt size is now down from 3X to XL. Lg is small as I can get, but it seems shirt sizes are not categorized like they used to be. I find XL's to be fairly comfortable.

Would look forward to any replies and personal experiences during your last twenty or so pound weight loss and any suggestions.

Cheers :-D
Dalton

Re: Plateau's, fat rolls and Random dribble

Postby DWu » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:47 pm

Dalton,

Have you considered doing a Mary's Mini diet?

Perhaps the monotony of the food will result in eating less.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm
DWu

Postby Dalton » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:14 pm

DWu wrote:Dalton,

Have you considered doing a Mary's Mini diet?

Perhaps the monotony of the food will result in eating less.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm

Actually, I have been eating monotonously. But my calorie intake has been around 2500. I'm considering lowering that in half. Just don't want to feel that ugh feeling from starving myself. Thank you for the reply. Will definitely look further into Mary's mini diet.
Dalton

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:41 am

Dalton, I was within 10 pounds of my target weight... and then came Thanksgiving and then Christmas and I gained it all back and then some. Don't ask me why. I certainly know how.

I am back on track now though, and hope to be at my target weight in a few months.

Something I haven't seen posted by guys is, what happens to the sagging skin everywhere? My stomach is going to look like that pancake boy's at the carnival.. Does that eventually go away? Or are we stuck with what looks like oversized skin once we lose all that weight?
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby frozenveg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:32 am

Dalton wrote:
DWu wrote:Actually, I have been eating monotonously. But my calorie intake has been around 2500. I'm considering lowering that in half. Just don't want to feel that ugh feeling from starving myself. Thank you for the reply. Will definitely look further into Mary's mini diet.

How about just lowering it by 20%? 2000 calories may not make you feel so hungry as 1250, and that reduction will have an effect.
Your weight may lower slowly, but it will still go down.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Dalton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Werner1950 wrote:Dalton, I was within 10 pounds of my target weight... and then came Thanksgiving and then Christmas and I gained it all back and then some. Don't ask me why. I certainly know how.

I am back on track now though, and hope to be at my target weight in a few months.

Something I haven't seen posted by guys is, what happens to the sagging skin everywhere? My stomach is going to look like that pancake boy's at the carnival.. Does that eventually go away? Or are we stuck with what looks like oversized skin once we lose all that weight?

I've been very fortunate in that dept. Don't know if it's genetics or what. My skin has tightened up and only have a few small stretch marks on my sides. But......I'm not at my goal weight. Who knows what will show up after all is said and done. Glad you got back on track. We all have our weakness. Holidays.........yum. :)
Dalton

Postby Dalton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:41 pm

frozenveg wrote:
Dalton wrote:
DWu wrote:Actually, I have been eating monotonously. But my calorie intake has been around 2500. I'm considering lowering that in half. Just don't want to feel that ugh feeling from starving myself. Thank you for the reply. Will definitely look further into Mary's mini diet.

How about just lowering it by 20%? 2000 calories may not make you feel so hungry as 1250, and that reduction will have an effect.

I've got to do something different. I'm weighing my options now. Picking up the gym is probably the best option. I like eating healthy and I feel good with the calorie intake. 20% reduction is a good idea and shouldn't have much of an effect on me. Thank you for your input.
Dalton

Postby greentea » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Congrats on your weight loss! Have you considered incorporating fasting into your routine. For example, some people will eat only between 10am and 6pm, giving them a daily fast of 16 hours, and most of that fast takes place when you are asleep. If that doesn't work, you could try other time frames. I do a version of the 5:2, so basically 2 days a week I skip dinner. It's not hard, in fact I look forward to it. Between that and exercise, that's how I chipped down my last 20 pounds. There is a discussion on Doug Lisle's forum.
greentea

Postby Dalton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:40 pm

greentea wrote:Congrats on your weight loss! Have you considered incorporating fasting into your routine. For example, some people will eat only between 10am and 6pm, giving them a daily fast of 16 hours, and most of that fast takes place when you are asleep. If that doesn't work, you could try other time frames. I do a version of the 5:2, so basically 2 days a week I skip dinner. It's not hard, in fact I look forward to it. Between that and exercise, that's how I chipped down my last 20 pounds. There is a discussion on Doug Lisle's forum.

Thank you! Yes........I did do it for nearly a month and had great results. There is both negative and positive feedback on that practice, but I think it holds water. I was eating between 10 am to 3 pm and had great results (still got a good dose of calories). I'm not sure what threw me off. I must have come across some negative information or disinformation. Your right......I'm going back on that!
Dalton

Postby Lesliec1 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:00 am

For me personally, when I thought I was hitting a plateau, I raised the amount of green veggies I was eating. Worked every time. Never any plateaus when I kept up the veggies, meaning eat a LOT more than you want. Plus eat other things of course. I don't mean just eat veggies.
Lesliec1

Postby Werner1950 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:13 pm

Leslie, when you increase the veggies, does that mean you decrease the starch? Or does this mean that you heap less potato or rice on your plate?
Werner1950

Postby Dalton » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:31 am

i was in denial about some of the foods I was ingesting. After I cleaned up my act, the weight started sloughing off again. My clothes tell the story. The scale is something I've developed an irrational fear of though. Until my large shirts (my normal thin size) feel more comfortable and drape, then I will get on the scale and share my success.

Thanks for all the comments. :)
Dalton

Postby Werner1950 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:49 am

Dalton wrote:i was in denial about some of the foods I was ingesting. After I cleaned up my act, the weight started sloughing off again. My clothes tell the story. The scale is something I've developed an irrational fear of though. Until my large shirts (my normal thin size) feel more comfortable and drape, then I will get on the scale and share my success.

Thanks for all the comments. :)

It's a good thing when we recognize our own 'blindness'. It still happens to me.
And I find that I also forget the things I ate that are not compliant. Odd how we blank out...
Werner1950

Postby Kerstinro » Mon May 02, 2016 1:57 pm

frozenveg wrote:How about just lowering it by 20%? 2000 calories may not make you feel so hungry as 1250, and that reduction will have an effect.

I second that, if you can comfortably cut out 500 cals a day, that adds up to 3500 cals a week which equals 1 pound of fat. If you do that for a few weeks you're bound to see the needle on the scales shift. Going too far down and you risk binge-eating out of hunger.

Hang in there, it sounds like you've made so much progress already.

Kerstin :)
Kerstinro

Postby Dalton » Tue May 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Kerstinro wrote:
frozenveg wrote:How about just lowering it by 20%? 2000 calories may not make you feel so hungry as 1250, and that reduction will have an effect.

I second that, if you can comfortably cut out 500 cals a day, that adds up to 3500 cals a week which equals 1 pound of fat. If you do that for a few weeks you're bound to see the needle on the scales shift. Going too far down and you risk binge-eating out of hunger.

Hang in there, it sounds like you've made so much progress already.

Kerstin :)

I've decided not to worry about reducing my weight so fast anymore. I'm gonna keep on keeping on. The weight loss is going to happen if I stay true anyways. Besides, I've lost an incredible amount of weight (I should be proud of myself) and I don't have to worry about stretch marks when going slower with weight loss. My weight is stable without flucuations. What am I in a hurry for? LOL I went from obese to just under a 25 BMI. From this point on, I am going to look forward to living day to day. I'm going to enjoy my benchmarks. Even if they do slow down. Those last few pounds are indeed stubborn, but my motivation is not. Thanks to all of you for your responses! :D
Dalton

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program