Worth suffering through coffee withdrawal?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Worth suffering through coffee withdrawal?

Postby custerdome » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Would be curious to read experiences people have had with coffee on the maximum weight loss program. On the one hand I feel it gives me some energy in the morning, it keeps me regular and it keeps hunger at bay throughout the day. On the other hand, it stains my teeth, gives me indigestion and causes hunger spikes in the evening.

How do you feel about it? Is it worth giving up, suffering through the withdrawal?

Input much appreciated!
custerdome

Re: Worth suffering through coffee withdrawal?

Postby xkitten » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 am

I really loved having coffee every morning because I wake up and it's always really cold here, especially in the winter. I love holding a nice cup of hot coffee, and it always seemed to get my morning "moving", if you will. I've switched to decaffeinated tea and I've noticed I don't crash midday like I used to with coffee.

I do miss it sometimes though, especially when walking by a coffee house.. I love the smell of coffee. :P

My withdraw wasn't too bad.. Caffeine headaches for a few days.. but I'm sleeping better and not crashing midday, so it's worth it IMO! Good luck!
xkitten

Postby custerdome » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:19 am

xkitten wrote:I really loved having coffee every morning because I wake up and it's always really cold here, especially in the winter. I love holding a nice cup of hot coffee, and it always seemed to get my morning "moving", if you will. I've switched to decaffeinated tea and I've noticed I don't crash midday like I used to with coffee.

I do miss it sometimes though, especially when walking by a coffee house.. I love the smell of coffee. :P

My withdraw wasn't too bad.. Caffeine headaches for a few days.. but I'm sleeping better and not crashing midday, so it's worth it IMO! Good luck!

Did you experience any constipation? That's, frankly, the one side effect of quitting coffee that scares me the most.

Thanks!
custerdome

Postby xkitten » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:42 pm

custerdome wrote:
xkitten wrote:I really loved having coffee every morning because I wake up and it's always really cold here, especially in the winter. I love holding a nice cup of hot coffee, and it always seemed to get my morning "moving", if you will. I've switched to decaffeinated tea and I've noticed I don't crash midday like I used to with coffee.

Did you experience any constipation? That's, frankly, the one side effect of quitting coffee that scares me the most.

Thanks!

No, but honestly I was quite worried about this because coffee did make me "go" around the same time every morning. I was scared I'd get backed up without it. Maybe it's the tea, or simply this WOE, but no constipation issues here! :)
xkitten

Postby custerdome » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:02 am

xkitten wrote:
custerdome wrote:

Thanks!

No, but honestly I was quite worried about this because coffee did make me "go" around the same time every morning. I was scared I'd get backed up without it. Maybe it's the tea, or simply this WOE, but no constipation issues here! :)

Appreciate the feedback! Not looking forward to the withdrawal period, but definitely looking forward to a future without coffee jitters. :D
custerdome

Postby earthmonkey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:06 am

I love coffee, and as Mark Twain wrote about quitting smoking, "it's easy, I've done it a 1000 times."

If you are eating the amount of fiber that is suggested in the McDougall plan, you will have no constipation issues. Also, exercise helps too. I too miss the roasted-grainy beverage in the morning, so I substitute it with a roasted dandelion tea (Traditional Medicinals) or a spoonful of molasses in hot water.

Yes, quitting coffee is worth it.

5'5" starting 207 Oct 27, 2020 :: Soft Goal 125
Looking for local encouragement buddies
earthmonkey

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:22 am

If you decide to give it up, you DO NOT have to suffer through withdrawal! Just wean off. It's easy. Just decrease your intake by about 1/4 cup each day until you are off. (If you are a multi-cup drinker, you can decrease by more. For example, if you drink 3 cups, you can probably decrease by 1/2 cup until you get to 1 cup. Then decrease by 1/4 cup.)

Withdrawal headaches can be intense so I suggest weaning off. Same with sugar for many people.

I definitely recommend trying to go coffee-free to see if you like it. It takes maybe 2-3 weeks to see a difference in things like quality of sleep but you may be surprised how well you do without it. You have your whole life to experiment.
Lesliec1

Postby custerdome » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:45 am

Lesliec1 wrote:If you decide to give it up, you DO NOT have to suffer through withdrawal! Just wean off. It's easy. Just decrease your intake by about 1/4 cup each day until you are off. (If you are a multi-cup drinker, you can decrease by more. For example, if you drink 3 cups, you can probably decrease by 1/2 cup until you get to 1 cup. Then decrease by 1/4 cup.)

Withdrawal headaches can be intense so I suggest weaning off. Same with sugar for many people.

I definitely recommend trying to go coffee-free to see if you like it. It takes maybe 2-3 weeks to see a difference in things like quality of sleep but you may be surprised how well you do without it. You have your whole life to experiment.

I love your comment. Thank you so much for weighing in!
custerdome

Postby custerdome » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:27 am

earthmonkey wrote:I love coffee, and as Mark Twain wrote about quitting smoking, "it's easy, I've done it a 1000 times."

If you are eating the amount of fiber that is suggested in the McDougall plan, you will have no constipation issues. Also, exercise helps too. I too miss the roasted-grainy beverage in the morning, so I substitute it with a roasted dandelion tea (Traditional Medicinals) or a spoonful of molasses in hot water.

Yes, quitting coffee is worth it.

This is very reassuring. Appreciate it!

Actually heard about roasted dandelion tea as a substitute before - maybe it's time to check it out.
custerdome

Postby nicoles » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:38 am

I second Leslie's recommendation to wean off. I've quit cold turkey, and I've quit via weaning, and weaning was BY FAR the more comfortable experience.

Either way though, it is totally worth quitting coffee.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Dr Sues » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:39 am

I was wondering if just going to decaf coffee would be enough? I've tried tea, too weak for the cold mornings here, and the dandelion stuff just didn't cut it with me....

I am not aware of any "problems" I have with coffee, although I am careful not to drink it too late in the day, and have just a cup or two of half caf.

Is sleep the only issue people have with coffee?

Just curious, thanks
Dr Sues

Postby custerdome » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:51 am

Dr Sues wrote:I was wondering if just going to decaf coffee would be enough? I've tried tea, too weak for the cold mornings here, and the dandelion stuff just didn't cut it with me....

I am not aware of any "problems" I have with coffee, although I am careful not to drink it too late in the day, and have just a cup or two of half caf.

Is sleep the only issue people have with coffee?

Just curious, thanks

My personal issues with coffee:

- indigestion
- staining of the teeth
- anxiety
custerdome

Postby Dr Sues » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:08 pm

Yeah, tooth staining is an issue...I just try to to rinse or brush a lot!
I wonder if the indigestion is due to caffeine or the coffee itself. Is tea less irritating for you?
Dr Sues

Postby custerdome » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:14 am

lynns wrote:Caffeine in any form doesn't agree with me except that if I were able to stick with about a half cup each morning, it makes me feel bright and actually helps me sleep at night. That is the ADD/upper effect but it's a false help because it also eventually makes for some anxiety and overall "sleeplessness." The sleeplessness starts with sleeping better for a while, then less well and then, even if I do sleep, it's full of anxiety and I wake up with a racing heart and more anxiety. The reason I finally figured this out was because I got off it and went back to it so many times.

I used to drink Pepsi all day starting with a six pack in the early morning then it was easier to drink coffee and I loved it but, it didn't love me. Made me dizzy. My step was awkward and I would stumble. Had no idea it could be coffee. Depressed and anxious I tried but couldn't get off it. And as far as that moving feeling in the am, it was either too much or not enough. Finally I did it. Took the plunge for good. Yes, like x smokers, I got to be a preachie know it all and was frustrated with people who complained about not sleeping but still had their cup of caffeine in the morning. To anyone I offended. Sorry. Really. So Sorry.

I had to take those pills for acid reflux. On this diet and having cleaned up the problem foods, no reflux.

Now I know that it took time to get out of my system. It wasn't just a few days of headaches and tiredness. It took a long time but the worst of it is about 4 days. I did try weaning myself. Sometimes it worked and sometimes I went from coffee to tea and then to non caf tea. This is where I want to stay. If I'm tired, I sleep. If I feel down, I find out what's wrong and correct it. I no longer want to correct my feeling with a chemical drink.

I can't tell you how much better I feel. I want never to ever go back there. For the temporary lift, the side effects were so much worse. Here's to a clear head and a strong body. What my body needs is good food and exercise. It's worth it.

Wow. Absolutely terrific post. This is exactly what I needed to read right now.

THANK YOU.
custerdome

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program