January 2016 McDougall Weigh in Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

January 2016 McDougall Weigh in Group

Postby Debbie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:44 pm

Here it is...2016. Happy New Year to everyone! With the new year comes new members and new resolves to get healthy and lose weight. Following this way of eating, the McDougall plan, one gets healthy and weight loss is a benefit of that. It all goes hand in hand when we start eating a healthy McDougall diet.

From Jeff Novick.....

For the newcomer, I collated this from some earlier threads....

Here is a refresher on some guidelines for posting here and participating in our monthly weigh-in thread.

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. While we recommend the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan, it can be any one of the McDougall program including the MWL plan, the regular McDougall plan, or Mary's Mini's, the Elimination Diet or any of the McDougall plans.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally.

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

See you all this Friday and Saturday!"
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Re: January 2016 McDougall Weigh in Group

Postby Bellatevy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:45 am

I'm registered and looking forward to seeing a downward trend in my numbers with MWL!!! Happy New Year!!!
Bellatevy

Postby Debbie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Bellatevy wrote:I'm registered and looking forward to seeing a downward trend in my numbers with MWL!!! Happy New Year!!!

Welcome Miss Bella!! Glad to have you here.

What is everyone eating today? The other day, I made two huge pots of beans, one flavored to be used for Mexican style beans, think refried, and the other cooked plain. Right now, I am enjoying a simple bowl of rice and beans with a little salt. I love eating things pretty plain and simple. I will eat some baked potatoes later, with just a little salt...I love them plain and fluffy, my favorite way to eat them. I will toss in a simple salad as well.

What is your favorite starchy food to eat? And how do you prepare it?
Debbie

Postby wpkrats » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi This will be my first time. As I am new here and would like to participate in January's weigh in. As I understand it on 01/08 I will post the amount of weight I lost between 01/01 and 01/08.
Thank you
wpkrats

Postby Debbie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:44 pm

wpkrats wrote:Hi This will be my first time. As I am new here and would like to participate in January's weigh in. As I understand it on 01/08 I will post the amount of weight I lost between 01/01 and 01/08.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum wpkrats! Please take a moment if you would and tell us a little about yourself...how you found the McDougall forum and the plan. :)

Yes, that is correct...Friday to Friday or Saturday to Saturday, whichever day you prefer to weigh and post.
Debbie

Postby Reni » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:58 pm

This time I'm in for sure! Gained back all the weight plus some. :eek:

Looking forward to losing with everyone in 2016! :D
Reni

Postby wpkrats » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi I'm a 57 y/o male with HTN and Diabetes. My weight is around 200lb. I thought I would weigh myself on the 1st to start the month. I've been flirting with a plant based diet for years now, but have always had a problem with compliance. Having read a few of Dr. McDougall's books and with my compliance history I thought a little support would be helpful.
wpkrats

Postby Debbie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:15 am

Welcome back Reni!!!

Thank you for the introduction wpkrats!
Debbie

Postby Karoleana » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Hello! I am newly registered to the group and am excited to get started! Here is a some background: After I had my first baby in 2001 I was Morbidly obese, my 5’ 2.5” frame tipping the scales at over 250lbs. My cholesterol was so high (Cholesterol 273, Triglycerides 434, Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 7.8 ) that they were going to "let" me nurse my baby for 6 months and then put me on medication. They sent me to Oregon Health Sciences University in the meantime and I met with the head of the department who happened to be a colleague of Dr. Dean Ornish. He tried his best to get me to adopt a low fat, plant based diet but I just did not get it. I did read Dr. Ornish's book and that started me on the path I am on now. I am dense and only cut meat out of my diet. I was still able to "miraculously" drop my cholesterol so much I never did end up having to go on meds and was able to drop about 50 pounds over the course of a few years. My family and I were on again off again vegetarian (mostly on) and we dabbled with being vegan but used lots of "healthy" olive and coconut oil (“The fat you eat is the fat you wear!”). I continued to read and learn and I finally got it through my thick skull that I needed to eliminate the oil which we started to do just about 3 years ago (right after I had purchased about 6 gallons of coconut oil from Costco! :eek: ). Over the next year I weaned us off almost all oil except for olive oil on popcorn (My husband drew the line with me messing with his popcorn) but we were still eating eggs (fried eggs every Saturday morning too) and dairy. In January of this year (2015) the stars aligned and I FINALLY HEARD the message that Mcdougall, Esselstyn, Ornish, Novick, Barnard, Fuhrman, and my OHSU doc had been trying to get through to me (I had been studying this stuff for years – don’t know why it took me so long to finally hear!) NO OIL, WHOLE FOOD, PLANT BASED, LOW SUGAR. We watched “Vegucated” (can’t recommend because of one F bomb but other wise very eye opening) and Forks Over Knives (highly recommend) and decided to go vegan and follow Dr. McDougall’s Maximum Weightloss Plan. It finally all came together and BOOM I started dropping 10 pounds a month. I had always felt so frustrated that we were eating so “healthy” and I was still so fat!? (kind of tried to blame it on my hypothyroid) Now, I understood, it IS THE FOOD!! I went YEARS getting some of the benefits from doing a piece here and a piece there. I wish I had gotten the whole picture 14 years ago! I did great with compliance for 5 months and dropped 50 pounds. I was SO excited when my BMI crossed from obese to overweight I went around excitedly exclaiming, “I’m overweight!!!” Summer vacations and family reunions along with all the positive attention from the rapid weight loss went to my head a little and I became less strict, following more the regular McDougall plan. I maintained my weight loss with the exception of these last 2 months. I have so many people interested in a WFPB diet that I started doing some free cooking classes in my home and got a little carried away showing people all the decadent possibilities. But I still kept it oil free and WFPB so I only gained about 3 pounds! My physician ordered blood work in September of this year, almost 14 years after the bloodwork that produced the numbers at the top was taken. I am very happy to report that my Cholesterol is now 125, Triglycerides 79 and I have a ratio of 3.5. With my new trimmer body I have been able to do things like going in the bouncy house with my two year old for the first time because I was not afraid I would break it due to my weight. I have been overweight my entire life. I was the fat kid who had to wear sweat pants to school in second grade because they didn’t make plus sizes for kids back then! I am ready to start working on my weight loss goals again. With a little less than 50 pounds to go I still have a challenge ahead of me but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know one thing for sure… Nothing tastes as good as this feels!!
Karoleana

Postby Debbie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Way to go Karoleana!!! What an awesome drop in all of your numbers!!! Welcome to the message boards and the MWL weekly weigh!
Debbie

Postby Debbie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:49 pm

I ate the same beans and rice from yesterday, but decided to add a little salsa. Still just as tasty and basically plain.

Let's share what our struggles are or were in the past and how to over come them today as we move into the new year.

One of my struggles is, while I can eat "plain and simple" like this, my hubby can't and my kids think they can't either, which I know is in their heads from what they hear from their father. He enjoys making meals with many steps that can be long and complicated...me I'll just throw a tater in the oven and call it dinner. I struggle with recipes. For instance, I love Chef AJ's lasagna and will make that, but its a once in a while thing just because its so time consuming. He also does not like left overs and seems to need more variety....Whereas with me, I can eat off the same thing for several days before deciding its no longer good. He will also tell me "I need to go on a diet and lose weight" in one breath then in the next "I dont want to be that strict". sigh....

The reason I struggle is, and I have recently figured this part out, is because when I make something, no matter how plain or complicated, they all complain...especially the kids. They whine, they tell me its gross or they dont like it. And its nearly every meal with things I know they have liked before and eaten before. My oldest is the worst....I guess I just start feeling dejected and the why bother thoughts come out. So now, at least for right now, I don't care if they don't like it. They have to try it and if they really don't like it, they can have oatmeal instead. My oldest also claims to hate oatmeal even though she's been eating it since she was a baby!!! I think the "I don't like it" comes from her trying to be different, because some days she LOVES it and eats it all and asks for more and other days she hates it and it is not edible. Hubby has been helping a little by eating oatmeal on weekends, he really doesn't like it and never has, so I appreciate that. I try to break it up a little, but school mornings it's almost always oatmeal...In the past few years, when they all make my meal feel like the worst thing ever, and that is just when they ask what's for dinner, I would just give in and tell hubby grab taco bell or subway or whatever. That has to change as that is what has kept me overweight for oh so long. It is my biggest stumbling block.

So when he's at work and the kids are at school, I *sneak* being strict and boring. :lol: :lol:

Alright here is my simple, boring and "extreme" beans and rice meal I ate this morning. ;-)

Tinypic distorted the image pretty bad....here it is on my FB page clearer.

https://www.facebook.com/FollowingtheSt ... =3&theater
Debbie

Postby Karoleana » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:46 pm

I really love the ebook by Emma Roche "Whole Food Plant Based on $5 a day". Here are some modifications that I think make it pretty much MWL compliant. I did have a question about the inclusion of flaxseeds. She uses them in some of the recipes. Would those need to be omitted too? Also, I did reach out to Emma to see if she would be interested in making a MWL version and she said if there was enough interest. Let me know if you are interested and I will pass it along.
Week One
1. Cinnamon Crunch Granola - omit sunflower seeds and raisins
2. Smokey Corn Chowder - Use rice or oat milk or broth instead of almond or soy milk
3. Omit Cornbread
4. Have the Roasted Tomotoes and Zucchini over brown rice or potato
5. Banana Cinnamon Rice Pudding - use rice or oat milk, omit raisins, count the banana as one fruit
Week Two
1. Potato & Chickpea Curry - use rice or oat milk
2. Apple Pie Oatmeal - usel rice or oat milk, omit raisins
3. Banana Oat Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce - probably need to skip this one
Week Three
1. Spiced White Bean Dip Sandwiches - have over brown rice or potato and omit bread
2. Potato and Broccoli Chowder - use rice or oat milk
3. Pasta with Spinach, Garlic and Peas - omit pasta and serve over brown rice or potato
4. Berry Almond Overnight Oats - use rice or oat milk, omit raisins, almonds and count fruit toward your limit.
5. Cauliflower & Pea Pilaf - omit raisins and almonds
Week Four
1. Berry and Apricot Rice Pudding - use rice or oat milk, omit raisins and jam, count fruit toward limit
2. Pasta with Roasted Mushrooms and Spinach Sauce - omit pasta and have over brown rice or patato
3. Moroccan Chickpea & Cauliflower Stew - omit raisins and jam
Karoleana

Postby Karoleana » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:51 pm

Debbie,

I think you have a classic pleasure trap situation going on in your house. I have 7 kids (8 if you count my husband :D ) and they all had a very hard time with the food until their tastes for whole natural foods normalized. Now the same things that they used to balk at they really enjoyed. Trying hard to eliminate those concentrated, processed foods so that they do not re-stimulate the pleasure center was really helpful for us.
Karoleana

Postby Karoleana » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:57 pm

My biggest challenge getting started is going to be the "good for you" but calorie dense foods that I let creep back into the house. I have several containers of dates, dried cherries , apricots and figs and a nice stash of almonds and walnuts that are calling my name. I am also having fond memories of Mary McDougall's brownie recipe that I whipped up a few times this Holiday season. I also learned to make some killer dishes with soy curls and tofu that I am going to miss :-( When I got started it was easy to throw out the junk this stuff is good...but just not for me right now and my willpower is on low!
Karoleana

Postby Vegloser1020 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:57 pm

I am looking forward to being part of this group for the first time. 2016 is going to be my year. Bring it on.
Vegloser1020

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program