Starch Solution or Maximum Weight Loss

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Starch Solution or Maximum Weight Loss

Postby tiredapplestar » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:54 pm

I have already posted this in the lounge, but Jeff N. suggested I post this here as well. :)

I am currently doing Starch Solution, but am considering Maximum Weight loss. I was just wondering if anyone has tried both? If so which one do you like better? Also, if you met your goal with Maximum Weight Loss did you stick with it or swith to Starch Solution guidelines?
tiredapplestar

Re: Starch Solution or Maximum Weight Loss

Postby MaureenR » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:55 pm

I started with the regular program and lost 15 pounds fairly quickly just by giving up oil, dairy and nuts and seeds. (I was already a vegetarian). But I was still drinking smoothies every day for breakfast. After reaching a weight loss plateau that lasted for several months I decided to drop the smoothies (very reluctantly) and to switch over to the Maximum Weight Loss program. I was then able to lose 25 more pounds and am still losing. I want to lose at least another 10 pounds. I'm 5' 7" and started at 185 pounds.

I wish I had dropped the smoothies and stuck with the regular program first, so I would be able to separate out the effects of switching from regular to MWL from dropping the smoothies.

I've been very compliant with MWL for several months now except for a little bit of a pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving that was not MWL compliant but was compliant with the regular program.

To answer your question of which program I like better: Regular program wins for a nicer variety of food but MWL wins for the speed of weight loss results. Eventually I will experiment with incorporating some foods from the regular program (like whole wheat pasta) on a semi-regular basis.

I would advise sticking with the regular program as long as you are achieving the results you want. No need to restrict yourself further than necessary and the regular program is probably more realistic for long term compliance. But if you are trying to lose weight and are stuck at a plateau, or are very impatient (like me), it is nice to have a program that speeds up the weight loss a little.

I have noticed that many of the women my age (late 40s) in this forum who started out at my weight (or heavier) and have achieved the kind of results I am looking for tend to eat mostly MWL with only occasional foods from the regular program. So I assume that's where I'll end up too.
MaureenR

Postby tiredapplestar » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Thank you so much MaureenR for your thoughtful advise! I am going to stick with SS for now and see what happens! :)
tiredapplestar

Postby DWu » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:50 am

Hey tiredapplestar,

Have you considered trying the Maximum Weight Loss program for awhile and see if you can train your taste buds to get used to it, and even enjoy it?

That way, if you ever transition back to the Starch Solution, you’ll have an even greater appreciation for the foods it allows. And if you ever need to return to the Maximum Weight Loss program, you’ll know that you can do it successfully.

Just my thoughts.
DWu

Postby tiredapplestar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:25 pm

DWu wrote:Hey tiredapplestar,

Have you considered trying the Maximum Weight Loss program for awhile and see if you can train your taste buds to get used to it, and even enjoy it?

That way, if you ever transition back to the Starch Solution, you’ll have an even greater appreciation for the foods it allows. And if you ever need to return to the Maximum Weight Loss program, you’ll know that you can do it successfully.

Just my thoughts.

I probably will, just not yet. I actually have the book, but I am currently rereading SS (helps me stay on track). I will read MWL next. My only concern is not being able to have bread and nuts. I don't eat very much of those things, but I do enjoy them! Also, I have still been losing weight eating those things.
I think you are right though, I think I would have a greater appreciation for SS if I did MWL.
tiredapplestar

Postby Katydid » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:57 pm

The Starch Solution didn't exist back when I was losing weight. I stated with what was then referred to the "12-Day" program for Dr. McDougall's earlier book 12 Days to Dynamic Health - similar to the Starch Solution. My weight went from 305 to about 220 and then I hit a wall. I switched to Maximum Weight Loss to lose the remaining 70 pounds. I was happy with both programs, but now that I am at my goal weight (13 years and counting :unibrow: ) I stick fairly close to MWL to keep the weight off. I don't have a lot of wiggle room left for processed foods before I start to gain weight. Besides, as others have said, I prefer a whole food unprocessed diet nowadays. :D

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby tiredapplestar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Katydid wrote:The Starch Solution didn't exist back when I was losing weight. I stated with what was then referred to the "12-Day" program for Dr. McDougall's earlier book 12 Days to Dynamic Health - similar to the Starch Solution. My weight went from 305 to about 220 and then I hit a wall. I switched to Maximum Weight Loss to lose the remaining 70 pounds. I was happy with both programs, but now that I am at my goal weight (13 years and counting :unibrow: ) I stick fairly close to MWL to keep the weight off. I don't have a lot of wiggle room left for processed foods before I start to gain weight. Besides, as others have said, I prefer a whole food unprocessed diet nowadays. :D

Kate

It seems like women have a much harder time with weightloss. Good to know!
tiredapplestar

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program