Grams of fat

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Grams of fat

Postby Desir9 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:35 am

Good morning!

I was wondering how many grams of fat should I be cosuming per day if I want to lose weigh! I'm 22 my heigh is 5'7 and weight is 125 pounds.

also, how many grams do YOU cosume on an average day?

Thank you! :)
Will power is a muscle
Desir9

Re: Grams of fat

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:23 am

Welcome!

This program does not recommend counting calories or grams of anything.

What matters is choosing the right whole foods, then everything else falls into place. Focus each meal on a whole starch with intact fiber, and add in non starchy veggies and fruits and some legumes. That's it.

Starrt with The Free Program under the "Education" tab at the page top. Continue with The Starch Solution book. For more specific weight loss info, read The Maximum Weight Loss book, and review the guidelines as well as calorie density resources at the top of this forum, as well as Jeff's forum.

After you've done your homework, bring your remaining questions here. There are lots of people who have been very successful with great personal experience to share.
vgpedlr

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:18 am

I love this plan because apparently I hate numbers and counting! You'd think a person would compute their nutritional totals every once in a while just out of curiosity but no, I never have.

Very important to get familiar with the principles of the MWL plan so you can't go wrong. Let us know if you can't find the guidelines. They are at the top of this section.

Some people here like to plug their meals into the cron-o-meter, which is online. It gives totals of what you are eating.
Lesliec1

Postby Katydid » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:56 am

Under the MWLP you do not need to worry about counting fat grams. All your fat will come from the fat that naturally occurs in food. If you are eating a combination of oats, rice, potatoes, corn, etc. along with plenty of fresh greens and raw veggies you will naturally get around 5-10% of your calories from fat. This is not something that you need concern yourself with. If you are on MWLP it's because you need to lose weight. Any essential fats you need will be provided for between your diet and your own body.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby viv » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:28 am

You do not need to lose weight. You are already at the low end of the BMI (Body Mass Index) for your height. Why do you think you need to lose weight?
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby frozenveg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:50 pm

I agree with Viv. At 125 and 5' 7", you do not need to lose weight. Why are you asking?

And Kate is correct--if you are following the plan, no more than 5 - 10% of your calories per day will be coming from that fats that are naturally in the foods you eat. To be perfectly clear--no fat at all needs to be added to any of the food.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Desir9 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am

Katydid wrote:Under the MWLP you do not need to worry about counting fat grams. All your fat will come from the fat that naturally occurs in food. If you are eating a combination of oats, rice, potatoes, corn, etc. along with plenty of fresh greens and raw veggies you will naturally get around 5-10% of your calories from fat. This is not something that you need concern yourself with. If you are on MWLP it's because you need to lose weight. Any essential fats you need will be provided for between your diet and your own body.

Kate

Thank you! this was exacly what I was asking!.. I find it har to keel my fat intake bellow 10% tho.. I tend to eat a loot of pasta a bread maybe that's why!

have a lovely day! :)
Will power is a muscle
Desir9

Postby Desir9 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:17 am

viv wrote:You do not need to lose weight. You are already at the low end of the BMI (Body Mass Index) for your height. Why do you think you need to lose weight?

Thank you I appreciate your concern but I just want to lose fat, and never bellow 115 pounds, wich is pretty healthy specially for a young girl!

have a lovely day
Will power is a muscle
Desir9

Postby frozenveg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:35 pm

Desir9 wrote:Thank you! this was exacly what I was asking!.. I find it har to keel my fat intake bellow 10% tho.. I tend to eat a loot of pasta a bread maybe that's why!

Many breads and pastas aren't very low in fat at all, unless they have cheese or egg in them. The biggest concern with breads is sodium. If you become a label reader, you can find breads and pastas that will fit the way of eating.

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby frozenveg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:36 pm

frozenveg wrote:
Desir9 wrote:Thank you! this was exacly what I was asking!.. I find it har to keel my fat intake bellow 10% tho.. I tend to eat a loot of pasta a bread maybe that's why!

Many breads and pastas aren't very low high in fat at all, unless they have cheese or egg in them. The biggest concern with breads is sodium. If you become a label reader, you can find breads and pastas that will fit the way of eating.

Success Story:
frozenveg

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program