not hungry - advice?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: not hungry - advice?

Postby ceekaye » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:03 pm

November 28th 2015: It's been a week and I've reached a weight of 163 pounds - Not too bad. I am doing my best to keep the calorie density under 600 per pound. I find it interesting that I was losing about a pound every other day, and now that trend has come to a halt because yesterday and Thursday i let down my guard and indulged in a few holiday foods like candied sweet potatoes and stuffing. They did in fact officially pause my weight loss. I am already back on plan, and i will report back in 10 days with some results. I wanted to also comment about mild cold stress.

It was ten below all week longer here, and the thought of ice water and tank tops just makes me ache thinking about it!

Living in a cooler than usual environment is not a matter of suffering or self-torture...it's an awareness of how we tend to keep our bodies much warmer than our environment, and a conscious effort to acclimate to cooler temperatures. I'm not sure how that changes for someone who lives in colder climates, except to say maybe a thinner material for shirts, or waiting until you are getting cold before adding the next layer of clothing...? I do know mild cold stress doesn't automatically mean an extreme shocking icy water polar bear plunge experience - it means being lightly dressed and getting comfortable with temperatures between 60 & 66 degrees, especially for us in mild climates). When cold is experienced, the body burns available fat stores to keep the body core temperature steady. The energy required to do that is a huge untapped resource. The whole idea is only make the body work a little harder to stay at normal temperature.

Just before shivering, the mitochondria kick in and generate heat from stored fat. And by making the environment around me just a bit cooler than usual, i am forcing my body to fess up some of those stored calories it has stashed away in my thighs, buttocks, hips, waist and arms.

Perfect! That's exactly what the fat storage mechanism is meant to do. And our environment it is a hugely overlooked aspect of how we live in the US. I wear a hat rather than a coat when its chilly, and my family thinks i am weird for hanging out in a tank top and shorts in the fall. I need to tackle the weight of my blanket on the bed next: To burn more fat while asleep would be great, so why not try it out?! Ray says "Habituate to lower temperatures over time and don’t give in to the increased hunger; this is your sign that the fat is melting away." Humans NEED an environment cooler than their biological set point to discharge of excess metabolic waste heat.
Christina~

ceekaye

Postby frozenveg » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:47 am

Congrats again on losing! Maybe you want to not weigh yourself every day? Then those 2-day fluctuations wouldn't be so bothersome!

The cold concept is kind of interesting. I am cold about 80% of the time. Maybe that is how I've managed to keep my weight off for the last 4 years. But I just can't identify with attempting to be cooler. I don't need to wait long to feel cold to add a layer of clothing. Most of the time, my hands, nose, chin, and often my toes (inside shows and socks) are freezing to the touch, uncomfortably so. Doctors have told me that there's nothing wrong, so I'm not worried. But I just can't make it my ambition to be chilly all the time!

However, if it works for you, then go for it!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby ceekaye » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:34 pm

frozenveg wrote:Congrats again on losing! Maybe you want to not weigh yourself every day? Then those 2-day fluctuations wouldn't be so bothersome!

The cold concept is kind of interesting. I am cold about 80% of the time. Maybe that is how I've managed to keep my weight off for the last 4 years. But I just can't identify with attempting to be cooler. I don't need to wait long to feel cold to add a layer of clothing. Most of the time, my hands, nose, chin, and often my toes (inside shows and socks) are freezing to the touch, uncomfortably so. Doctors have told me that there's nothing wrong, so I'm not worried. But I just can't make it my ambition to be chilly all the time!

However, if it works for you, then go for it!

I think that 60 degrees is cool enough for the body need to generate it's own heat by burning fat calories...that's all it seems to take for me at any rate. :)

Now I'm down to 159.4 pounds. That's 4 more pounds in 2 weeks. 2 pounds a week? Awesome!! I'm going to just keep this up! :nod:
Christina~

ceekaye

Postby frozenveg » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:11 pm

That is awesome! I am so happy for you!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Previous