NOVEMBER 2015 McDougall Weigh in Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: NOVEMBER 2015 McDougall Weigh in Group

Postby fruitfulveganmama » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:36 am

Jamie wrote:Has anyone else been going crazy with butternut squash this month? They are so delicious!

I've been splitting them in half length-wise, sprinkling with coarse kosher salt and baking on parchment paper face-down. 350 degrees for 1 hour, and then I have a delicious snack or light meal.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

YES! Me, too! And the kabocha squash...omg, so yummy!! I cook similar to you, then scoop out the flesh and mash with nutritional yeast, a little garlic powder, and a little bit of Bragg's. So yummy! :-D
Ethical vegetarian since October 2003. Vegan since April 2011. Low-fat high-carb fruit n' starch-loving vegan since March 2012. Wife to vegan husband and mama to beautiful & healthy vegan girls aged 3.5 years and 6 months! :)
fruitfulveganmama

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:59 am

fruitfulveganmama wrote:And the kabocha squash...omg, so yummy!! I cook similar to you, then scoop out the flesh and mash with nutritional yeast, a little garlic powder, and a little bit of Bragg's. So yummy! :-D

Oh, I can't wait to try this! I had to google kabocha squash :oops: , but it sounds great.

I am down 1.8 pounds this week. I wasn't 100% MWL, but I guess 95% is still working for me.

Have a great Friday, all!

Jamie

Postby Jeepsterhound » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:09 am

I stayed the same again.
I'm going to be 100% McDougall this week and hope to see a change next week. I've fallen prey to sloppiness ever since I visited my family in August. There are no upcoming events this week that will throw me off track. I want to reach my goal this month!
Jeepsterhound

Postby rachaelrei » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:13 am

Weekly weight loss: 2 lbs
Total November weigh loss: 5.5 lbs

I'm right on track to meet my goal for 10 lbs in November!! :-)

rachaelrei

Postby Sadie1820 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:55 am

minus one pound for me this week
Sadie1820

Postby fruitfulveganmama » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:11 am

I am down 1.7 pounds this week!! So excited!! I know I said this last week, but I will say it again today, I cannot believe how fast the weight is coming off on the maximum weight loss program! This is amazing. I have been stuffing myself with potatoes all week. I thought for sure I would not lose anymore weight because I ate so much this past week. But the weight just keeps coming off. I should have known because my wedding ring it has been much looser. My husband has also decided to join me on this program. He doesn't have an account here, but his starting weight is 201. He started MWL yesterday. I can't wait to see where this takes us!! :)

Starting weight: 127.5
Current weight: 124.5

Weight loss this week: 1.7 pounds
Ethical vegetarian since October 2003. Vegan since April 2011. Low-fat high-carb fruit n' starch-loving vegan since March 2012. Wife to vegan husband and mama to beautiful & healthy vegan girls aged 3.5 years and 6 months! :)
fruitfulveganmama

Postby frozenveg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:32 am

I gained .8 of a pound. Sorry, guys! My life is so hectic right now, and we are about to have the kitchen and 5 other rooms repainted and re-floored. This will undoubtedly have us eating out next week a lot. Restaurants are a dangerous place, but I will try my best to "foil the oil!" And it helps to know I have a group here rooting for me!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby hazelrah » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:32 am

Still trying to get the Avia scale in standard operating mode, but I'm calling it this week as no change (0.0).

Hope everybody had a great week. I think i'm going to start to count calories a bit with that Myfitnesspal. So we'll see how that goes.

Good luck for the week everybody.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby memkat » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:43 am

November 13, 2015
Week two ....gained 1 pound :crybaby:

Only thing I can attribute it to is eating two English muffins , not on the same day, but bread is my enemy. Also think I have been eating too many potatoes and not enough greens. I have had some days where the greens were close to none, but tons of potatoes. This week I will shoot for half and half. Any suggestions would be welcome. I did enjoy my potato binge though! :nod:

Have a great week!

Kathleen
memkat

Postby fruitfulveganmama » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:12 pm

frozenveg wrote:I gained .8 of a pound. Sorry, guys! My life is so hectic right now, and we are about to have the kitchen and 5 other rooms repainted and re-floored. This will undoubtedly have us eating out next week a lot. Restaurants are a dangerous place, but I will try my best to "foil the oil!" And it helps to know I have a group here rooting for me!

What does "foil the oil" mean? :)
fruitfulveganmama

Postby Katydid » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:38 pm

For those of you still struggling to tip your caloric balance to the negative side, here are some excellent tips courtesy of Jeff Novick:

http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... nsity.html

If you are following the principles of calorie density and your excess weight is not coming off as quickly as you would like, then there are some adjustments you can make to what you are doing in regard to the "calories in" and the "calories out" end of the equation.

In regard to calories out, you have three areas you can make adjustments, which are frequency, intensity and time (FIT). You can exercise on more days or more times in a day (Frequency), you can raise the intensity of your exercise (Intensity), and/or you can do it for a longer period of time (Time). For most people, 150 minutes of exercise per week, should be more than enough.

In regard to calories in, you can lower the calorie density of the diet, by shifting the composition of your meals to include more foods that are the lowest in calorie density (vegetables, salads, soups, etc.). Make sure 1/3 to 1/2 of the visual volume of all your meals are low calorie dense vegetables. The other 1/2- 2/3 should be unrefined complex carbohydrates (legumes, intact whole grains, starchy vegetables).

In addition, you can make the following modifications:

- Salt: For many people, salt seems to act as an appetite stimulant. So, the less you salt your food, the less people tend to eat.

- Variety: For many people, having a variety of foods available at each meal also seems to encourage over consumption. Therefore, the less variety at a meal, the less food consumed.

- Raw Foods: Foods you can eat raw tend to be lower in calorie density and may not digest as efficiently as cooking helps the digestion process.

- Sequencing: Eat the lowest calorie dense foods first. This fills you up so you eat less of the higher calorie dense foods.

Avoid:

- all higher fat, calorie dense plant foods (nuts, seeds, oils, avocados, tofu, etc.)

- all refined processed grains & starches that are higher in calorie density (breads, bagels, crackers, cookies,
dry cereal, tortilla's etc. & anything made from ground up flour) even if they are whole grain.

- all concentrated sugars/sweeteners (sugar, brown sugar, agave, honey, molasses, date sugar, etc.) even if
they are natural and organic

- all dried and dry fruits (raisins, dates, figs, etc.)

- all liquid calories (juice, non-dairy milks, etc.)

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby memkat » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks, Katydid that was helpful

Kathleen
memkat

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:29 pm

No weight lost this week. No weight lost yet since I restarted about a month ago. I haven't been 100% compliant, about 90%. Went to store today & stocked up more on green veggies. Hoping I can shift the scale by next Friday's check in.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby frozenveg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:27 am

fruitfulveganmama wrote:
frozenveg wrote:I gained .8 of a pound. Sorry, guys! My life is so hectic right now, and we are about to have the kitchen and 5 other rooms repainted and re-floored. This will undoubtedly have us eating out next week a lot. Restaurants are a dangerous place, but I will try my best to "foil the oil!" And it helps to know I have a group here rooting for me!

What does "foil the oil" mean? :)

All I mean is, try very hard to get the chef or cook to understand that "no oil" means "no oil." Restaurant food is practically 100% prepared (whether cooked or fresh) with oil or fat, raw salad greens and possibly strawberries being an exception. So eating out is basically a dive back into a vat of oil-cooked foods. Vegan restaurants are the worst, and second runner-up are the "vegetarian" alternative at luncheons (my last experience: eggplant buried under a parmesan crust and swimming in a pool of olive oil).
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby veliboic » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:55 am

Last week 143 lbs
Today 141.5 lbs (1.5 lbs)
veliboic

PreviousNext