NOVEMBER 2015 McDougall Weigh in Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

NOVEMBER 2015 McDougall Weigh in Group

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:52 am

Hi All,

Debbie's schedule needs a break so I will attempt to lead the weigh in group. I eat MWL to lose weight and also for my disease. Who's in for November? Just 4 Fridays:

November 6
November 13
November 20
November 27

Please jump in to post your gains/losses and feel free to share how you're doing otherwise.

Anybody eating anything interesting? I've been making a squash and sweet potato soup but I'm getting tired of it. My immediate goal is to find a new favorite soup.

Remember to focus on what we CAN eat instead of what we can't eat!

Leslie
Lesliec1

Re: NOVEMBER 2015 McDougall Weigh in Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi,

I'm in for November! First timer doing the weigh in's.

I have been liking Red Lentil Chili made in the slow cooker and make a batch a week. Also, Split Pea Soup in the slow cooker.

Squash and Sweet Potato sounds interesting, Leslie!!

Good luck to all!!
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:24 am

Good morning! I have occasionally flirted with the MWL program, but this time I'm really committing. Giving up flour products and peanut butter will be the hardest part for me, but I know it will be worth it. I weighed myself this morning, and hope to lose a total of 20 pounds over time. My intermediate goal is to drop about 5 by the time I visit my family over the Thanksgiving holiday. Happy Halloween everyone. :-D

Jamie

Postby cpeiland » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm in! I am on the Starch Solution but may switch to the MWL if my progress slows down any. So thankful for this group! I started 2 weeks ago.
cpeiland

Postby Debbie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi. I was released from the hospital early this afternoon. I just posted the weeks weigh in for the Oct thread since I saw it wasnt done. Other than being tired and with no appetite, my schedule is good.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Jesslyn73 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:56 am

Hello!
I'm interested. What do I have to do?
I'm generally following the MWL guidelines. The latest item I made was the tofu pumpkin pie w/ cashew crust. My husband likes it better than "traditional" pumpkin pie. I also made a pumpkin curry soup. It started as a Weight Watchers recipe and I altered it to fit McDougall's plan. ;-)
Jesslyn73

Postby memkat » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi,
I am in for november. New to MWL, although have been following Eat to live for three years. What do I need to do?
memkat

Postby Jeepsterhound » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:39 pm

To join in just post your weight change on Friday or Saturday each week and Debbie will tally up our totals.
Jeepsterhound

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:24 am

For the newcomer, I collated this from some earlier threads....

Here is a refresher on some guidelines for posting here and participating in our monthly weigh-in thread.

There are 4 weigh in days for November, the 6th, 13th, 20th & 27th

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

Anyone is welcome to join the weekly weigh in group as long as they follow the McDougall principles. While we recommend the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) plan, it can be any one of the McDougall program including the MWL plan, the regular McDougall plan, or Mary's Mini's, the Elimination Diet or any of the McDougall plans.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program.

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally.

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.

See you all this Friday and Saturday!"
JeffN

Postby frozenveg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:01 am

I am in starting this Friday, too. I have returned from my daughter's wedding and I didn't gain much (3-4 pounds), but I do need to get back on the MWL track. I always feel so much better when I do!

Here's hoping I can post a loss on Friday! If I can get a chance (my house is all torn up for windows, carpeting, flooring and paint), I may also post thoughts and menus. I participated in this thread back in 2010 and 2011, while I was first on the plan, and I really enjoyed getting encouragement and ideas from other weight-loss contributors.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Sadie1820 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:05 pm

I am in for Nov weigh-ins
Sadie1820

Postby Vegan375 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:24 pm

Hello Everyone! I am completely new to MWL and the McDougall program. I have watched interviews with Dr John McDougall on YouTube and have read his books. So, I am now dedicated to participating in his program - the strict MWL one. :-) I'm diving in! I joined this forum for the support, resources, and accountability since I'm new to this. I will post my weigh ins! I'm not sure how it's all going to work, but I've stocked up on the correct foods. Right now I'm soaking chickpeas. Anyone know of good recipes for those???
Vegan375

Postby Sadie1820 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:28 am

Vegan375 wrote:Hello Everyone! ... Right now I'm soaking chickpeas. Anyone know of good recipes for those???

I cook large batches of chickpeas in my crock pot and divide them in 2 cup portions and freeze. They are wonderful on salad and for making hummus. The recipe below is not mine but it is really good.

Saag Chana
The chickpea (or garbanzo in Spanish) is a versatile bean eaten throughout the world. Most chickpeas are pale yellow; a variety from India is small and black. While chickpeas can irritate some people with intestinal problems, regular consumption may prevent colon disease. Chickpeas contain an impressive array of antioxidants, and are prized for their high iron content. Combined with spinach, this makes for a particularly iron rich meal.
2 teaspoons veg broth (more as needed)
1 large onion
3 to 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 large tomato chopped
12 oz of fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
red pepper flakes to taste
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup water
2 15oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups home cooked)
½ cup cilantro chopped
Juice of one lime
In a large skillet sauté onion, garlic, ginger, and cumin seeds in veg broth until onions are transparent. Add more veg broth as needed to keep from sticking. Stir in spice powers, salt and pepper flakes and cook for another minute. Next add tomato and spinach and cook until vegetables are soft and combined. Add water and chickpeas. Stir to combine and simmer on med-low for 20 to 30 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Turn off heat and mix in chopped cilantro and lime juice. Serve with cumin-scented basmati rice.
Sadie1820

Postby rachaelrei » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:44 pm

I'm in!! I'm starting over with my plant-based weight loss journey and have been getting back to the basics. I'm nearly done reading the MWLP book so this is great timing, I'm glad this group is here. :-)

rachaelrei

Postby Reni » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Count me in. :)

I've been out of the loop for awhile and ready to get back to better health.
Reni

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program