what rice cooker should I buy?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

what rice cooker should I buy?

Postby chewy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:02 pm

can any of you recommend a good rice cooker ?
chewy

Re: what rice cooker should I buy?

Postby petero » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:09 pm

The $15 4-cup Aroma cooker from Walmart. When your experiments make it too dirty to easily clean, you won't hesitate throwing it away. ;-)
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby veliboic » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:27 pm

I like Instant Pot. More expensive, but it is a pressure cooker and does beans and lots of other stuff as well.
veliboic

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:16 pm

I've had a Zo with GABA cycle for about 3 years now, we love it. No more boil overs on the stove, always perfect rice.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Katydid » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:51 pm

I have an Instant Pot that I use for everything. This weekend I made a brown and wild rice blend, some red quinoa, whole oat groats, blue corn hominy and an experimental oat milk yogurt using the yogurt maker feature. At $100 for the low end model on Amazon, they're not much more expensive than a good quality rice cooker.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby greentea » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:26 pm

I have a zojirushi and love it. It has been a workhorse and the rice comes out perfect every time. Plus it is a slow cooker. One feature I really love is the timer. You can set it up for the time you would like the rice to be ready, and the cooker will know when to start cooking. It will also keep the rice warm for up to 8 hours once it is cooked, and it plays twinkle twinkle little star when you start it :D
greentea

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am

Another vote for the very inexpensive, easy to find Aroma.

The problem with rice cookers is finding one that can do brown rice well. I've had plenty in the past that failed, so I cooked rice on the stove for a long time. That occasionally failed due to operator error! :mrgreen:

I have a digital Aroma that has the timer function and separate white/brown rice settings. It does a great job, and I've nearly beaten it to death. My mom was impressed and a smaller, cheaper version without the locking lid, timer, or brown rice setting and it works great too, even for brown rice.

I love all kinds of Asian things, but I just could not justify the cost of a Zojirushi when the Aroma does so well.
vgpedlr

Postby geo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:31 am

Get a cheap Aroma stainless steel model. No worries about Teflon or aluminum and its cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WQ9Z56/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

Notice that's the middle size, they have smaller and larger sizes.

Its your typical 'spit and sputter' type cooker but works well and is stainless steel. It cooks white rice in the usual 21 mins and brown in 42 mins. However if left on the auto warmer cycle the bottom will burn the brown rice. Rice will stick to bottom but will easily clean with a pot scrubber if needed.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program