POTATO HACKING THIS WEEK :)

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Week After...

Postby basilleaf :) » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:26 am

Hi everyone,
So it has been a week since my potato hack finished and I think it's time for an update.
I haven't been exactly the cleanest eater in the past week... okay so I have been pretty bad, but I have managed to remain completely animal product free!
Before this hack I still ate small amounts of butter and mayo and aoli and sometimes sour cream, so no animal products at all is pretty awesome in my opinion :)
After the hack was over I thought what I would do is slowly reintroduce old foods back into my diet (like one meal at a time) because I know that going from about 1000 calories to 1700 calories per day may be pretty extreme to my body and I will just gain back all the weight I lost.
SO that is what I intended and have sort of stuck to, problem is is that now being off the hack when I've gone out with family and friends to the cafe I have been eating fries!
Those perfectly crisp deep fried potatoes are quite addictive so that has been kinda bad of me.
But I was punished accordingly and have since had some minor break outs :crybaby:
I have been eating potatoes for breakfast and sometimes for lunch and then having a smaller serving of dinner and then more potatoes if I'm still hungry.
Amazingly despite the fact I am eating more 'bad' foods I am 1/4 lb lighter than before and feeling pretty good :)
Don't worry though, I will be cutting out those chips just to avoid the break outs!
One more thing is that I have been eating fruit, not tons but more than I did before :)

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for reading and following along and I hope this helps someone else in the future :D
basilleaf :)

Re: POTATO HACKING THIS WEEK :)

Postby Roni10 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:39 am

Basilleaf I sent you a message but please disregard it since I just saw your posts on the potato hack. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
Roni10

Postby basilleaf :) » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:30 am

Roni10 wrote:Basilleaf I sent you a message but please disregard it since I just saw your posts on the potato hack. Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Haha all good I've had a lot of 'those days' lately :)
Are you gonna do a hack?
It really is worth it and is really fun and easy :D

Postby rachelbrondel » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:00 pm

I have never posted on this forum but would love to message you as I am also in NZ. How do I send you a message?
rachelbrondel

Postby Lesliec1 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:21 am

Do you have a longer term goal? I was wondering if you are going to try the McDougall way of eating. I can't tell from your posts. Looks like after the hack, you went back to S.A.D. foods.
Lesliec1

Postby basilleaf :) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:56 am

Lesliec1 wrote:Do you have a longer term goal? I was wondering if you are going to try the McDougall way of eating. I can't tell from your posts. Looks like after the hack, you went back to S.A.D. foods.

It's lovely of you to join this thread, and I'm sorry I left you hanging for so long.
The answer to your question would be very long if I went into great detail, so I'll save that for another time and say this in as few sentences as possible.

Goal: To loose 40lbs, have clear skin and be fit and healthy
Life after the hack: High school is a crazy stressful time ya know? You don't realise until you have that 3 week deadline to complete 3 months of work :P So yeah I did sort of slip into old habits. BUT I watched cowspiracy a little after the hack and have never touched an animal product since. SO I have been completely vegan since the hack and it definitely helped me break that addiction to animal foods. :D
Currently: Eating 95% SOS free whole food plant based high carb low fat vegan! (damn that's a mouthful) I do have the occasional piece of chocolate (and I mean it is a rarity!) and have a measured 1/2 tsp of sugar on my porridge in the morning and when we go out I will have a soy hot chocolate, that's all. Completely salt and oil free, I haven't eaten out in 2 months since starting to eat this way, because apart from lettuce there is nothing for me on the menu :P

Sorry that was a long update but yeah, that's what happened to me, gained back about 5lbs post hack, but am now 10st 3lb down from 12st 3lb this time last year! (I celebrated seeing my second stone this morning actually haha :) )

Hope everyone's doing well :D

Kia kaha! :)

Postby basilleaf :) » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:05 am

So I'm back in to the hackin'! ;)
(oh dear that was bad :oops: )
Any whooooo...
I'm hacking just for a few days to get my weight loss rolling again as I plateaued for a week and I was sick of it :)
So I pulled out all the stops and hacked, here's what I ate:

B: 2 medium baked potatoes and a green drink*
L: 3 medium baked potatoes
S: 1 medium baked potato
D: 3 medium baked potatoes
D: Small chunk of chocolate easter kiwi :)

And weight loss this morning.......... 1/2 lb! :)

*1/2 banana 2 cups spinach 1/2 cup orange juice- Blend and enjoy :) (yes I know you shouldn't drink your calories but I'm not a big greens person so this is good for me)

Postby Wren » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:05 pm

[Disclaimer: I do not, in any way, judge the way you do your thing. I know that eating and/or dieting is a very personal thing for a lot of people, and I absolutly respect that. I only want to help.]

Often the really big problem with weight loss, is the way you get at it.

"Dieting" simply doesn't work, and a potato hack is just another sort of diet. You could as well go on a cabbage soup diet for 5 days. You loss some wight, but deprive your body of a whole lot of calories on the way. As soon as you've "finished" your diet, you start stuffing everything down your pie hole, because you're ravenous. And even faster than the weight was gone, it's back again. Sad face. Two weeks later, you're at it again.

What really works, is to simply change the way you think about food - thereby changing the way you eat. It's a lifestyle choice.

I applaud your effort to lose weight, but I do think it would be a lot easier for you and much more effective, to maybe just add more vegetable and fruit to your diet. Add whole starches like potatos and rice, and don't worry about counting calories.
Just give it a try, and you'll see. A lot of people found this way of eating as a tool for weight loss, and apparently, it works splendidly. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/
Wren

Postby basilleaf :) » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Wren wrote:[Disclaimer: I do not, in any way, judge the way you do your thing. I know that eating and/or dieting is a very personal thing for a lot of people, and I absolutly respect that. I only want to help.]

Often the really big problem with weight loss, is the way you get at it.

"Dieting" simply doesn't work, and a potato hack is just another sort of diet. You could as well go on a cabbage soup diet for 5 days. You loss some wight, but deprive your body of a whole lot of calories on the way. As soon as you've "finished" your diet, you start stuffing everything down your pie hole, because you're ravenous. And even faster than the weight was gone, it's back again. Sad face. Two weeks later, you're at it again.

What really works, is to simply change the way you think about food - thereby changing the way you eat. It's a lifestyle choice.

I applaud your effort to lose weight, but I do think it would be a lot easier for you and much more effective, to maybe just add more vegetable and fruit to your diet. Add whole starches like potatos and rice, and don't worry about counting calories.
Just give it a try, and you'll see. A lot of people found this way of eating as a tool for weight loss, and apparently, it works splendidly. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/

Hi,
I should better explain myself I guess haha.
I do eat mainly McDougall, I still eat store bought hummus and sometimes even pasta sauce to save time but I choose low fat and low sodium options where ever possible.
NZ is a lot different to the US I think, we don't have a lot of brand variety for things like that (e.g 4 brands that make hummus none are oil free)
The reason I hacked was because I wanted to loose X amount of weight in a short amount of time, but this did result in me under eating and then binging (somewhat a habit of a lifetime I think) so I don't recommend it now.
Your better off putting in a bit more effort in the gym than only eating one food.
I discovered that I wasn't eating enough on the standard McDougall diet because I was only eating til I was full and was sometimes only hitting 1000 calories, leaving me feeling tired and stressed.
I also became iron deficient because I wasn't eating enough and I gave blood too regularly.
Life is a learning curve :)

Kia kaha :)

Postby frozenveg » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 am

basilleaf :) wrote:Hi,
I should better explain myself I guess haha.
I do eat mainly McDougall, I still eat store bought hummus and sometimes even pasta sauce to save time but I choose low fat and low sodium options where ever possible.
NZ is a lot different to the US I think, we don't have a lot of brand variety for things like that (e.g 4 brands that make hummus none are oil free)
The reason I hacked was because I wanted to loose X amount of weight in a short amount of time, but this did result in me under eating and then binging (somewhat a habit of a lifetime I think) so I don't recommend it now.
Your better off putting in a bit more effort in the gym than only eating one food.
I discovered that I wasn't eating enough on the standard McDougall diet because I was only eating til I was full and was sometimes only hitting 1000 calories, leaving me feeling tired and stressed.
I also became iron deficient because I wasn't eating enough and I gave blood too regularly.
Life is a learning curve :)Kia kaha :)

Hi! Just a couple of things! One of the beauties of a "hack" is that it is so simple. You mentioned that you're in high school? That probably means that your time is pretty limited, and that spending too much time in the kitchen is hard. You can vary your meals, and keep it hack-style, without having to resort to store-brought hummus. (BTW, it is not that the US has some magical place with oil-free brands! I am in the US and I have never found an oil-free hummus at the store). If you can blend your own hummus up, with a bit of garlic and lemon juice, you have your own oil-free hummus. If that's more work than it's worth (who wants to clean a blender?), try just mashing the garbanzos with a fork! I know several people who actually prefer that to regular hummus.

The way I eat now is mostly very simple, but I have never just eaten only one food. But plain potatoes, plain cooked spinach, and plain green peas, make a meal I often throw together. Plain brown rice, a can of chopped tomatoes and a can of green beans--another very common meal for me. (I add chili powder, or balsamic vinegar, or something like that, when I want variety.) Fast food at its best--cheaper and actually faster than waiting at the drive-thru. (As long as I have pre-cooked the rice or potatoes!)

It very rarely works to try to lose X amount of weight in a short period of time; what I have found over the years in the law of diminishing returns! In other words, the first time, I managed to lose X pounds in 2 weeks, the second time, it took a month to lose those X pounds, then the next time, I would only lose .5X in the month, and so on. 1000 calories a day only works for me for a few days, and then I eat more on the next few days, mostly undoing any perceived progress. I do much better on 1400 to 1800 calories every day instead. And going to the gym always made me depressed and made me overeat. I now eat my simple meals and do my simple in-home exercises (walking and yoga) and I am much better off!

Edited to add a link to my favorite list from Jeff Novick: THe 10 healthiest packaged foods. I think it might be possible for you to find some of these!
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... Foods.html
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Franchesca_S. » Wed May 18, 2016 10:22 am

I think this is great advice. My technique is to plan meals that are compliant with the plan (avoiding the 'd' word) and add potatoes to it. Fruit and cereal or toast for breakfast and roasted veg/potatoes for a snack, a big salad with baked or sweet potatoes for lunch, steamed green or yellow vegetables with potatoes for dinner. So filling that cheating is really not attractive. Saturday I made tiny yukon gold wedges for breakfast and they were wonderful.
Franchesca_S.

Postby calvin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:04 pm

I just happen to have gone to potato-only-for-starch laced with vegie condiments like celery, beets, any of the likely leafy green suspects, all three meals a day, 14days ago, so i guess that's MY personal little potato hack in progresss. I had been having beans with them potatos for several weeks before that but decided to experiment with potato-starch-only to see what all the fuss was about and to see if any noticeable improvement in various inflamation-related symptoms occur. No weight-related issues in my case, unless bmi of 17 counts. :crybaby: I see first hand why people like Potato Strong and Spud Fit report no problem with a potatos-only regimen long term...because they consistently taste good, satisfying, filling, economical, quick and easy to prepare, store, and transport.

basilleaf :) wrote:...potato hack is a super easy way to start off a cleanse if you ask me...
That's a truth that doesn't get enough press, imo.

Any of you folks out there who aren't allergic, try it, you might like it and if not, hey, it won't hurt you. Have fun!

signed,

calvin
who is planning red rose potatos, red cabbage, carrot, sweet onion, & kale for supper. Oh yeah. 8)
calvin

Postby lucidguppy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:50 pm

I just did a quasi mini diet today. Oatmeal for breakfast with banana and raisins. But for lunch I had a big bowl of white potatoes, and for dinner I had a big plate of sweet potatoes.

I ate at 5:00pm and now it's 8:45pm and I'm still not really hungry.

Tomorrow is a birthday - so I can't hack tomorrow, but I'll definitely try to go for the week. I really want to get to a normal BMI and I'm skimming the top of the range at 25.3.

It's also a lot simpler to cook ;-). I just put some salsa on top and I'm good to go.
lucidguppy

Postby frozenveg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:42 pm

I have to say, yes! That is a great plan, but it's more like MWL than a hack. The "hack" would be all potatoes for all the meals. But more power to you!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program